www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:39 am 
email admin your custom rank

Toddely wrote:
Ya i liked the elite 5 also, I just didn't think it would fit well on my dash. I seen pics of Ric's old horizon and he had a smaller unit mounted in the place i am looking to mount one and it fit perfect. Where did you mount your elite 5? any pics?

I am going to head home for lunch and will take a pic for you. It was tight with the windshield, but I am sure my dash setup is different from yours based on the difference in years and model.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:14 am 

i use the Navionix app all the time it is extremely useful to me.. on dads boat we have an ipad in a waterproof case and it makes a nice size chart plotter..

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:25 pm 

Below is a pic of where I have the GPS mounted. The compass is not in a good spot, but is cut into the dash. I am thinking about mounting another one over the winter our of the way of electric field.

This was right after sunrise when my daughter and I had our first sleepover on Mi Sueño.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:00 pm 
Tadpole

I have the SonarCharts for my Humminbird 1198c SI (sonar/gps), and it is really cool, especially that you can take your recorded depth soundings & update the charts. Especially useful for areas that are not yet mapped well. Only problem is, for a yet unknown reason, my local area won't show on my head unit. If I go East or West, I can see the contours, just not where I spend most of my time. Grrr.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:01 pm 
Starfish

ric wrote:
Paul I. wrote:
Get a real marine GPS. We spend all this money on your boats and you want to use an Ipad?

Safety is first! You can't beat a marine GPS for, daylight viewing, there water proof, can take a beating and keeps on ticking and you can integrate it with the rest of your systems. More so your VHF that can send out a distress call in 3sec with you position if hooked up to you GPS.

The Navionics app runs the same maps as the $1000 Lowrance chartplotters do. And faster. Much faster. With internet connectivity that updates with user inputted content like...downed tree, rocks, etc

My Samsung S4 Active is IP67 rated. It stays on the windshield mount if it's sunny or rainy. I had a Garmin 441 GPS with the latest maps, it was garbage compared to it.

If your just boating and not trans atlantic crossing with autopilots connected to your gps, the iPad app solution is just as good for the price. Most GPS are not even water proof, but water resistant (if that). For the price of a fixed Marine GPS that will never upgrade or change its format, an iPad app that still connects to the satellites is perfect, but don't go offshore with out a back up (as with anything gps).

Black Pearl
2004 268 Vista
5.7L Gi-E
DP-SM 1.95

2010 6.4L F250
Dream boat- Catalina 28 MK II

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:44 pm 

The WiFi ipad can use a gps receiver that is either physically or Bluetooth connected to you ipad. A friend in Alaska uses his ipad connected by Bluetooth as a supplemental/planning tool. While the captain is driving and using the Garmin 4200, others can use the ipad to look for places of interest. It works great and provides good detail.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon