www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Does anyone have any recommendations for inverter installation (size, location, how to wire in to system, etc) on a 268 Vista?

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am 

We installed the Xantrex Freedom 1800 Inverter/Charger a couple of years ago on our 268 and love it.
http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/freedom_hf.html
If you increase the battery bank size it just makes sense to get the Inverter/ charger to help recharge that larger bank. Our has a 40A 3 stage smart charger with remote display...works great!

What size inverter you need really depends on what you want to run. With the 1800 we run pretty much everything on the boat including the stove top,tv,microwave,house fan, and sometimes the a/c for short periods on time to cool the cabin. To run the higher load items you really need a large battery bank. For our bank we bought 4 GC2 6vgolf cart batteries from Sam's Club. I ran them in series/parallel to make a 12v 440 aH battery bank. The cables are 000 gauge welding cable with colored boots on the end to prevent a mix up. I had my Interstate battery guy make the cables...don't forget to count on this expense because these cable aren't cheap!!
Keep in mind that adding these batteries also adds a couple hundred pounds on weight, and they have to be evenly distributed in the engine compartment or you will have a list to one side
Inverters usually can't be installed in the engine compartment, but the cables need to be very short. I installed mine as close as I could to the engine compartment in the top of the mid cabin foot locker. I made the cross brace/ mounting plate out of 3/4 plywood
I think the inverter is great because it doesn't take up any storage space, but one other option is running the Honda EU2000 generator on the swim platform but then you lose some storage space and have CO to deal with. It all depends on what you want to run and how often. Feel free to ask any questions :D

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:08 pm 

Surface Interval wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for inverter installation (size, location, how to wire in to system, etc) on a 268 Vista?

The first thing you need to do, Is ask your self "what is the biggest item in watts are you going to use?"

I mounted mine in almost the same spot as Blass36, except on top of the box. I did not want to loose the room.

Once you decide on a spot and wattage needs, than you need to determine how many feet of wire is needed. Than you need to do the math. So 12V / 100watts= 8amps. Use this chart http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps- ... d_730.html will give the the size wire needed. Keep in mind that the inverter will use about 10% to power the load. So if the load is 100W, than the full load on the batteries is 110W.

I installed a third battery to power my windlass and inverter. The inverter pulls so much power that I combine the #2 and #3 batteries when in use. Than use the #1 to start the engine. I use 2 dual battery switches to connect them and a battery combiner to keep the charged.

Remember too, the inverter in not ignition proof!! So becareful were you mount it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm 

Thanks for your responses. I was looking for an inverter in the 1800-2000 watt continuous category or larger. If you have time I do have some additional questions:

1. Does Four Winns offer an inverter, and if so, what model and where do they mount it?
2. Is it feasible to install the Inverter in the port side of the boat in an area that is may be less accessible than the foot locker, and have a remote control panel? I would be interested in "hiding" the inverter if possible without losing accessibility for control or causing heat/ventilation problems. Options might be in the wall between the foot locker and outer hull, under the stairs, or???
3. Does anyone use a battery disconnect or a battery selector switch between the battery bank and the inverter to prevent inadvertent battery drain?
4. Where do you connect the inverter's 110VAC output into the boat's 110VAC system?

The boat just went to winter storage yesterday. It looks like the beginning of another long off-season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:22 pm 

Surface Interval wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I was looking for an inverter in the 1800-2000 watt continuous category or larger. If you have time I do have some additional questions:

1. Does Four Winns offer an inverter, and if so, what model and where do they mount it?
2. Is it feasible to install the Inverter in the port side of the boat in an area that is may be less accessible than the foot locker, and have a remote control panel? I would be interested in "hiding" the inverter if possible without losing accessibility for control or causing heat/ventilation problems. Options might be in the wall between the foot locker and outer hull, under the stairs, or???
3. Does anyone use a battery disconnect or a battery selector switch between the battery bank and the inverter to prevent inadvertent battery drain?
4. Where do you connect the inverter's 110VAC output into the boat's 110VAC system?

The boat just went to winter storage yesterday. It looks like thoffersinning of another long off-season.

As to

1. LiXantrex ke most boat builders, they buy it from say Xantrex or some other well none name.

2. As I mentioned, that is were I installed mine. Xantrex offers a remote and I instlled it below the AC Panel.

3. Wuth the 2nd dual battery switch, the inverter is connected to the common side.

4. In the AC panel, that is way I installed it in that space.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:45 pm 

Bliss36,
In your description of the inverter/charger installation you mention running the air conditioner for a limited time with the inverter. I have one season on the '02 268 and originally thought that the optional Four Winns a/c unit was installed in the engine compartment. I noticed in pictures in your blog (great blog, thanks) and other boat ads that the a/c unit does not seem to be installed there. Can you describe the a/c system installation, brand, components, duct routing and outlet locations? I'm a Minneapolis area boater. Although Minnesota is often thought of as "the frozen tundra of the north", last summer did a lot to convince me that a permanently installed a/c system would be on my list of things to do.
Thanks for your info, and Happy Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:29 pm 

On the 268, the a/c unit is installed in the aft cabin, just aft of the foot locker compartment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 pm 

Surface Interval wrote:
Bliss36,
In your description of the inverter/charger installation you mention running the air conditioner for a limited time with the inverter. I have one season on the '02 268 and originally thought that the optional Four Winns a/c unit was installed in the engine compartment. I noticed in pictures in your blog (great blog, thanks) and other boat ads that the a/c unit does not seem to be installed there. Can you describe the a/c system installation, brand, components, duct routing and outlet locations? I'm a Minneapolis area boater. Although Minnesota is often thought of as "the frozen tundra of the north", last summer did a lot to convince me that a permanently installed a/c system would be on my list of things to do.

I will do the best I can but since our boat came with a/c I'm not quite as familiar with it as someone who has done a complete install.It is mounted in the mid cabin in the aft compartment
The air intake is thru a grate in the front of that compartment which you can see on the left. The black circle vent on the far right is 1of 2 output vents the system uses.
The second output vent (black rectangle) and the a/c thermostat control is in the left side of this pic
The duct work is all constructed with simple insulated 4" flexible duct you can find at your local home improvement stores. I will also find you the link to the company that sells the vents since I replaced the circle one a couple years ago and still have the receipt somewhere. You would need to put 2 holes in your boat: one in the bottom with a proper thru hull shut off valve for the a/c 110v water pump intake, and one in the side of your hull for the water discharge. The discharge would be located next to your cockpit floor drain on the port side of your boat. You would also need to add a 20 amp breaker to run the a/c. I don't think the install would be too difficult other than the nerve racking task of drilling 2 holes in your boat. Don't forget that even if you don't use the a/c much, this system also provides heat which may help to extend your season up north. We use the heat quite a bit in the beginning and the end of the season.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:28 pm 

Surface Interval wrote:
Bliss36,

Here is a link to an install on a 268. Also if you have any questions I installed mine on my 248 which is the same layout as the 268. It is really not a hard install. The hardest part is getting the mid cabin cabinet out without ripping apart the ceiling it is very tight!!!! The thru hulls are quite easy to drill, just take your time. The water intake one is basically already located for you. If you look in the engine compartment on the port side beside the hot water heater there is a stiffening block there. That's were the thru hull goes for the water intake.

http://www.boat-project.com/mech/proj-13.htm

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:30 pm 

I don't think an a/c install on a 268 could be explained any better than it was in that link...wow what a great resource! Was that write up done by a guy named Walt who used to frequent this site before he moved on to a big Carver?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:27 pm 

Thanks for the info, guys.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:33 pm 

had a v258. I insatlled my inverter on the port side between the cooler and the trash bin. This also placed it out of the engine compartment. I sealed the holes that the wies come though. Putting it there made the D.C. cables about 6 ft. long and than I ran the A.C. wires to the panel. The very thing was on the same side of the boat.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:07 pm 

Was the area vented?... Should it be, or am I overthinking this?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:06 pm 

alex8q4 wrote:
Was the area vented?... Should it be, or am I overthinking this?

Where mine was it was not vented, but the space was about 4 or 5 cubic feet. On the other hand, inverters are meant for short term use. In other words, it would be better to have it vented but as long as there 3 or 4 cubic feet of space. I don't see a problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:34 pm 

Thanks for the confirmation.

I have since installed my inverter in the rear most foot locker. Very happy and great thread!