www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:44 pm 
Tadpole

We have a 248 vista and to date we have been unable to use shore power as we cruize in very remote lakes in british columbia. To date we cannot keep our 3 deep cycle batteries (1 12v & 2 6v) producing enough juice to keep our fridge and plug in cooler cool over nite. The bateries are on their secind year of use. We put aprox. 50 hrs per year on the boat. Any experiences or suggestions?
Also we have a subaru i1700 generator, can this be hooked into the shore power outlet?
Look forward to any experiences or suggestions
Thanks Dan :?:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:55 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If you get an adapter like this one I don't see why you couldn't (although this is far from expert advice), but I think your main concern will be where to keep the generator to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Just plug this adapter into the generator, and your shore power cable into the adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marinco-Shore-P ... 11&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 pm 

That's exactly what folks with camping trailers do if they don't have a built-in generator. +1 on the location comment above.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:09 am 

Always put the gen in the rear as the nose always points towards the wind. That being said, have a good CO monitor :)

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:27 am 
268 Vista

Quote:
: can a potable gen be plugged into shore power plug

Yes

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Last edited by Cap'n Morgan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:44 am 

My 29 Larson, we did not have a genny. Used a Honda EU2000 portable genny, and mounted on the swim platform when in use, and ran a cord to the shore power outlet with an adapter and some rope to secure the Genny so it didn't end up in the drink. Could run the air all night no issues.. As to where to put it, I'd have to agree with Rick, the back of the boat is the best place, not in the cockpit though, put it on the swim platform, and make sure you keep the cabin doors closed while running, just for some reassurance.. If your running stern anchors, and holding in place, then that changes things because the wind could change on you. Would recommend, with this setup, that you only run the bow anchor.. Not sure I understand the reasoning behind thinking putting it on the bow, in a bow anchor setup, is better/safer? Your putting it right over your cabin number one, so there will at the minimum, be the noise issue (if that will be a concern for you), then, the wind is going to carry the CO2 over your windshield, and depending on the winds, drop it right down into the cockpit, which will increase the chances of it entering your cabin, where as, if on the platform, the wind will carry it right off and away from the boat. Again, in a bow only anchor setup.. Ran my portable like this, for two years on my other boat, every night, so we could have air to sleep on a hot summer night..

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:50 am 

With that amount of battery power, I would be looking into why you are not able to run the refrigerator all night with just DC power. I would check the gauge and length of the wire from the circuit breaker panel to the fridge and compare it to the fridge manufacturers recommendations. There are a few of us on these forums that have had rewire with heavier gauge to avoid excessive voltage loss.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:15 pm 

noexcuses wrote:
With that amount of battery power, I would be looking into why you are not able to run the refrigerator all night with just DC power. I would check the gauge and length of the wire from the circuit breaker panel to the fridge and compare it to the fridge manufacturers recommendations. There are a few of us on these forums that have had rewire with heavier gauge to avoid excessive voltage loss.

I agree you should be able to run the fridge and anything overnight easily

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:52 am 

I would not go to sleep with it on. But that's me!! I do understand, that's what the detector is for but many a boater has not seen the next morning over this. This is why detectors have been standard equipment on boats with cabins for years. This has happened to people from the boat next to them running one.