www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I am experiencing an intermittent "No-crank" failure with the neutral safety switch in my throttle/shifter assembly........Can someone offer some advice on what it takes to access the switch?......Can it be accessed from the front once I remove the lever? and how do I remove the big square cover with the Volvo Penta sticker on it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:40 pm 

The cover on the lever is held on by clips; you just need to carefully prise it off. Then remove the bolt holding the lever on.

Likewise, the main cover is just clipped on ( from memory, you have to remove the nut holding the kill cord switch in place, I may be wrong).

Then there are 4 screws holding the shifter in place to the side panel.

You may not have to remove the shifter though. On my 2004 Sundowner, the whole side panel onto which the shifter is mounted is held in place by 2 screws on the lower edge, after those are removed the whole panel lifts off exposing the shifter mechanism.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:51 pm 

I had a similar problem. Every once in a while it just wouldnt start, I would wiggle things around in and out of gear trying to crank it, then it would finally start. It turned out that the starter had a bad spot in it, and it seemed it would stick in. Next time it does it, check continuity through the switch to confirm that it is bad. I could also tap on my starter and it would pull back in and start right up. I bought a new starter for like 54 dollars or something like that. Wasnt a fun job but nothing a little time standing on your head cant fix.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:11 pm 

Graham R and Rick2752, Thank you for your replies........

I had this same "No crank" problem show up last year as well.........I too thought it was the starter as the paint on the starter looked pretty corroded so, I replaced the starter for good measure.......I thought the problem was gone until just recently when I pulled the cover off since being covered since last fall........

I was able to find the neutral safety switch........see the picture below........it was not fun getting to it but, it was not impossible either.........I have a new one on order in case it happens again, but I removed the switch and flooded it with contact cleaner and blew it out with compressed air........so far it works......

In tracing down this circuit I did find an emergency work around.......on top of the engine in a water tight box are a couple of Bosch style relays.........I found if you take a short piece of wire you can jumper between the contacts marked "30" and "87" and you will be able to crank the engine.........with the key in the "ON" position it will start........in the "OFF" position it will just crank..........