www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tank Monitor Replacement
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:08 pm 
Clownfish

As mentioned in a previous post, every single Fireboy device on the 2006 V378 I've just bought is dead.

In particular, the three Xintex tank monitors (Fresh, Grey, & Black Water) are a major issue.

Been quoted $387 each + 5 hrs labor to replace the 3 sensors.

No Way I'm going to buy another Xintex product with failure rates & replacement prices like this !

It looks to me like the existing system just uses two wires from the display to each sender, so I'm going to try and find a 2-wire sender system so I don't need to rerun cables.

Anyone got any replacement ideas, had any experience with Votronic systems from Germany (www.votronic.de) ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've just learned to live without them all, just fill up and pump out every weekend. I ripped the grey water tank out a few years ago to make room for more batteries.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:32 pm 

The newer sending units utilize a different technology, and from what I've read, are far less apt to fail. I do not know, however, whether or not the gauge needs to be replaced. If it were me, I'd replace the sending units, then if it still doesn't work, you know the gauge is bad. If they were the original style sending units, they would eventually fail anyway.
http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/liquid-level-monitors.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:48 pm 

Pilotpak wrote:
Been quoted $387 each + 5 hrs labor to replace the 3 sensors.

Is the labor charges mostly to gain access to the sensors? These sensors are so easy to replace especially if they are threaded. Even if they aren't threaded they are basically bedded in a caulk like substance that once the bead is cut it pulls right out. I know how you feel throwing good money at a bad design, but you could trim that bill WAY down if you stick with the Xintex redesigned sensors and do it yourself. Not to mention the sensor price they quoted seems really high...my Xintex sensors are around 100.00 each for the new ones.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 am 
Clownfish

Thanks,

The labor costs comes from the fact that the new gauges use 5-core wires, I believe the Xintex are 2-Strand wires, so the electrician needs to replace the three sensor cables.

I've always been hesitant about ordering stuff from overseas, but maybe it's worth talking a small risk on this.

Maybe my first step should be to test the cable runs, and I'm guessing the easiest way to do this would be to disconnect the Xintex sensor cables at both ends, bridge the contacts at one end, then test continuity with a meter.

I don't know how to gain access to the greywater tank, which the manual tells me is under the aft electric lounge. Any ideas how to access the tank ? - I can't even see how the lounge cushions may be removed ?