www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding Second Battery
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:31 pm 
Seahorse

Gents,

I just purchased two Group 27 Napa dual purpose batteries (made by Eastern Penn). They were on sale for $88 so if anyone needs a battery, these are worth a look. Anyway, I currently only have battery in my 220 and will be adding the second. I was curious where you bought your cables and what size you used. I figure that my run will be between 10 and 12 feet but I haven't measured exactly. Any input you could help with I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I used http://gregsmarinewiresupply.com when I did mine........I had custom length cables with the ends of my choice made up.......no fuss, no mess.......I measured everything out and ordered......he does very nice work......

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:13 pm 

I had a local marine shop make up the wires for me and crimp them. I used 2 gauge for the shorter run (3' to starter from switch and then 3' from bat neg to engine ground = 6' total) and 1/0 for the longer one (9' from far side battery to switch and 3' from that batt to engine ground = 12' total). This has worked very well for me over the years, I have a simple 1,2, Both, and off switch. The Group 27 dual purpose batteries will be perfect for your boat, that's what I have used on mine.
Here's one more thing I did that I would recommend. Do not use just wingnuts to secure the cable terminals to the battery. They work loose. You can use nylock nuts instead they are much more secure. I used marine quality automotive style clamps that are bolted on the terminal ends. This way if they get corroded I can just replace the clamps. Plus they give much more surface area. I never understood the logic of automotive applications using clamps and boats using wingnuts.
Another tip relates to the starter terminals. Often these are right under an exhaust manifold drain. If it leaks a bit of water on those terminals they will eventually rust up pretty bad. Take a look at the drain on the side with the starter and make sure it does not leak. These starters are marine rated (for being ignition proof) but they are not water proof by a long shot.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:13 pm 
Seahorse

I think i will definitely buy them premade and that gregswiresupply is the cheapest i have seen. Thanks for the tip. It amazes me the difference in price between 2 awg and 1/0.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 pm 

When you see the wire and pick it up you will really see the difference in weight and # of strands. But for the length of the run, you need that so you don't have a voltage drop. The OE cables on my boat were pure corroded junk. The dual battery system was one of the first upgrades I did and since doing that I've just replaced the batteries every 4-5 seasons and not had any trouble at all.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:56 pm 

I would go with the 1 or 1/0 tinned wire. 10 to 12 feet is a good distance.