www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 pm 
Dolphin

I am a "new-to-me" Four Winns owner of a 2005 Vista 348. I was only able to get a few running hours in the fall, and am getting ready to boat as soon as the weather warms. I have corrected a few minor issues but have one small outstanding "light" issue. The stairway courtesy light flickered recently and apparently died. I want to replace it with an original part if possible, or if not, maybe some suggestions could be made. I have searched the net without success. Take a look at the 2 images and let me know if you have any suggestions of where I can get a replacement. I am in Canada, but understand I may have to order from USA. Thanks for any help you can give.... Ernie

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You can search on the FourWinns site for parts:
Is this the one?
http://parts.fwdealer.com/Catalog/Catalog?SearchText=light&Unique=True#!prettyPhoto/14/

You should be able to order it from a dealer, or possibly search on the part number to see if anything comes back.

Good luck!

Erik

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:47 am 
Dolphin

A "tip of the hat" to you Erik. That is exactly what I am looking for. Now I hope there is stock available, as the site indicates I have to phone for availability.

I will start with my local dealer and go from there. Again, thanks.

Ernie

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

That looks like the light unit used on the stern of Sundowners and Vistas to illuminate the swim platforms in the ca. 2002 to 2007 timeframe. I couldn't find them on the FW website( mine degraded, yellowed and cracked due to UV light)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:48 pm 
Shark

I suggest that brokenn light parts are an opportunity to convert to LED. It is always possible to find an LED that can be made to fit and do the job.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:07 pm 
Dolphin

jfair wrote:
I suggest that brokenn light parts are an opportunity to convert to LED. It is always possible to find an LED that can be made to fit and do the job.

Jfair - You are thinking exactly what I am going to "try" and do. I have not been able to find the exact replacement assembly (the whole light assembly + lamp) anywhere. The bulb itself, although hard to see in my picture, is in fact a LED placed upside-down, in the front of the concave reflector. Look closely at my 2nd picture and you will see it there with the leads coming in from the top and bottom. I have never seen such a light used anywhere else - strange indeed!

My "plan", and I have ordered the pre-wired LEDS the other day, is to remove the upside-down LED + leads. I will then drill a hole in the base of the concave reflector, feed the new LED+wire into the hole and keep it in place using a rubber stopper on the base of the concave reflector. Wires will be reconnected and the whole unit will then be pulled back into the assembly hole, screwed in tightly with silicone, and covered with the glass cover.

I discovered that this light (stair courtesy light), is the same as the 3 on the swim platform, one of which is burnt out as well. I removed all of them to double check if it was the LED or the wiring that was the problem, and I found all the wiring worked fine for all of them (good news). A 2006 version of the 348 (in our marina) was nearby and I see FW changed to a totally different LED with three LED's per light in a wider and thinner assembly - so much thinner that I doubt this light would cover the hole drilled to fit the assembly I have in the 2005 model - so that possibility for replacement will not work.

When the LED's arrive, I will update my success or failure!

Ernie

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:50 pm 
Dolphin

For $6 I ordered a handful of LED + pigtails in a soft white color. They arrived the other day - and having only found a possible whole light assembly on Ebay for 50$ ++ (each :( , I thought I would give these a try.

Picture below shows the original LED sitting upside-down in the parabolic mirror, with the leads extending out to the side of the mirror, then through the mirror to the wiring behind it.

So I cut out the leads holding the original LED

Then I drilled a hole in the parabolic mirror to friction fit the ribber stopper which holds the new LED + pigtail.

Feed the wiring through the stopper

Test the bulb with 9V battery

Everything seems fine

The LED now sits at the base of the parabolic mirror, is held snugly with the rubber stopper. I took it out to the boat to double check if the wiring was reversed - and voila :D it worked. My stairwell is now well lit - no excuse for stumbling down the stairs at night. I have one similar light to do on the swim platform (one of three), and this LED has adequate brightness for that purpose.

Four Winns 348 (2005)