www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 pm 
Seahorse

Greetings

Last year I started having problems with the Kohler generator on my boat, a 2008 Four Winns 288. It was not starting via the remote switch. After several months of trying to figure it out, I finally resolved the problem. I decided to share the solution in order to assist others in addressing similar situations. It's a Kohler 5ECD Generator

At first I suspected the remote switch in the cabin had failed. I removed it and tested it, it was fine, however I inadvertently damaged it and needed to find a suitable replacement. I acquired a standard (on) off (on) switch online, installed it, and the system still did not work. I suspected that I had done something wrong and studied the wiring diagrams for the boat. The manual I have for my Four Winns 288, does not have the wiring diagram for the generator controls. I contacted Four Winns and they sent me the appropriate drawings. I also studied the wiring diagram for the generator and tested all related components. I removed and tested the Advanced Digital Controller on the generator, no damage.

I was at a loss, then I decided to find the wires that go to the cabin for the remote start and now things became interesting. The plug is on the stern side of the generator and almost impossible to reach. The plug is under the seawater pump for the generator and while I was sandwiched between the engine, the generator and the cabin floor in great pain, because the coolant cap of the generator was squeezing into my chest. I felt water under the seawater pump, on visual inspection (another contortionist trick required) I noticed water dripping from the pump. This water drips onto the plug that connects the generator to the cabin controls. The plug was completely corroded, the root cause of the remote start problem, was the faulty seawater pump. Why the engineers/designers decided to place this plug as well as the 12V positive and negative terminals underneath the seawater pump is beyond me. Surely they must know that those pumps occasionally fail and that water on any electrical system is undesirable.

The solution: It took 2.5 hours to unplug the corroded plug, this is due to the difficulty in reaching the plug and depressing the locks and pulling on the plug simultaneously with one hand; with a coolant cap buried in my chest and a Volvo Exhaust crushing my head. Then it took another 3 hours to remove the female section of the corroded plug from below the seawater pump and move it to a more sensible location, above the generator. This was a very painful exercise, so much so, that half way through the ordeal, I was ready to give up and devise a plan that would require the removal of the starboard engine to get access to the faulty plug. I know that sounds crazy, but I like everything on my boat to work 100%, every single switch and lightbulb must work. I eventually used a flashlight, mirror and a utility knife to cut off the top clip that prevents the female end of the plug from falling out of the plate into which it is mounted. It is impossible to reach the lower clip without removing the starboard engine. With patience and mild torture, I was eventually was able to remove the plug.

Note: I had to remove the seawater pump before I could get access to the plug.

When I was finally done after a total of 7 hours, I had to figure out the wiring and rewire the plug. This was a fairly simple task.

I acquired the spares to service the seawater pump, 3 hours of coolant cap in chest, cuts and bruises, the system was ready. I installed the new rocker ((on)-off(on)) switch in the cabin and finally after more than 18 months of research, frustration and hard work, I resolved a simple problem with a painful solution.

Why do I post this?
I hope this helps someone with a similar problem.
I advise those of you with a similar set-up in your boat to go and inspect it and make sure that the seawater pump is not leaking onto this plug.
I suggest if you don't have problems now, with a similar set-up, try and move the plug before it corrodes and becomes very hard to work with.
Inspect the seawater pump regularly. It is pretty well hidden and really hard to inspect, but it needs to be done.

Be warned, there is very little space to position yourself to do this work, and your legs, chest and arms take a beating in the process.

I hope this helps someone.

Regards

CGC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome! Great first post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:11 am 

Welcome to the forum! Yes, that was an excellent piece of information, and believe it or not, you have helped me even though I don't have a built-in generator. What you've shown me, however is that I no longer wish to have a built-in genset :) I'll stick with my handy-dandy Yamaha carry-on, and deal with the space it takes up on the swim platform any day over contorting my old ass into a compartment to do minor service on a built-in.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks.

My previous boat was a V248 with no generator and I saw that as a major shortcoming. Then I bought the V288 with a generator. I am sure that many will disagree with me, but the generator is an overkill for a mid-sized boat that spends its life on a river (Pittsburgh). In the three years I have had the boat I have run the generator 45 minutes in total and all I did was heat milk for my baby daughter. Most expensive warm milk on the planet. Many will argue that it is great to run the a/c when you are floating around, the reality is that no-one sits in the cabin while you're floating around, it defeats the objective of being on the boat. Also it's not practical to run throughout the night if you are anchored, noisy, exhaust gases may become a problem. Frankly, the $20 12V fan does a great job at a fraction of the cost. Cold nights? just snuggle up ...

This was definitely a case of, "be careful what you wish for ..."

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm 
Dolphin

Quote:
I am sure that many will disagree with me, but the generator is an overkill for a mid-sized boat that spends its life on a river (Pittsburgh).

Having moved up from a Regal 2860, I would tend to agree with you, IF we are speaking about "installed" generators. I say IF, as I boated 75% of the time with day trips. For the balance - overnighters, weekends and the occasional week long trip, I do not think I could survive without my Honda 2000. It is so versatile, compact, and easy on gas. It provides convenience and powers most items on that size boat - barely enough for air conditioning on start-up - but otherwise perfect.

Now that I have a 5K genny on board, the Honda is not used. But from what I hear, if the genny poops on me, and repairs are as expensive as I have heard,the Honda is getting called up from the minor leagues!

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:11 pm 

Ive always had a love/hate relationship with the Kohler 4kw in my 278 Vista.... I have it mostly tamed now, after rebuilding the carburetor 2-3 times, replacing the fuel pump, adding a fuel filter, replacing the spark plugs, adjusting and lubricating the governor linkage...

Did I mention it only has 14 hours on it?? :shock:

I chuckled when my good friends just bought a Rinker 340/342 and it had a Kohler generator, they asked me how "good" they are.... I couldnt even lie to them. I wished them the best of luck.

SURE ENOUGH, this past weekend, we are all out rafted up. Probably 8-10 of us. Morning comes and I start my genny and am making breakfast/coffee. All I hear from their boat next door is cussing. Their Kohler starts up and stalls right away. LOL. I ran through the usual suspects of problems that I encountered with my Kohler. Which at one point, when my genny would stall, I'd tap the fuel pump and it would start back up. They tried it, and it started right back up!

Now their Kohler generator saga begins..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

379 hours as of 8/8/21