www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volvo EVC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Well, I have boat with this. It has a diagnostic socket. Apparently the Volvo Vodia tool connected to this can detect issues with all ancillaries; but it can't detect problems with individual EVC components ( like the HCU and PCU, costing over USD 2000 each). The only option is to buy them and see if the substitution works ! What is the point of this amazing EVC technology?

Post subject: Re: Volvo EVC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 am 

When it's all working, the benefits are the fact that you have fewer things you have to do while piloting, allowing for more attention on the water (or less, if complacency sets in I guess).
You can get things like joystick control, better maneuverability for docking (allowing the engines to steer independently of each other), integrated autopilot, integrated engine parameter monitoring and control, vital system protection and fault-tolerant / failure mode operation, and protection from pilot-induced failures and errors. That being said, it may seem like a step backwards in many aspects, but barring something like a lightning strike or ID10T errors such as hooking batteries up reverse polarity, the actual computers are pretty robust. The vast majority of failures would be with the sensors or the wiring to the sensors. Still, since this technology is so new, it hasn't really been proven yet in the eyes of the average boater. Only time will tell if this is a better way of doing things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 am 

Yes, I know it can do a myriad of useful things when it's working.

Like it has electronic shifting instead of mechanical ( Morse cable) shifting. Wait a mo, the electronic shift message is sent to an electric actuator (with a reputation for failing) that then does the shifting; using a Morse cable !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 pm 

That's crazy, man! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:18 pm 

kd4pbs wrote:
That's crazy, man! :lol:

Not sure about crazy, but a totally stupid, unnecessary complication really; a $50 cable swapped for a $30 cable and a $600 actuator, plus a EVC shift lever if it fails ( mine apparently did) costing >$1000 compared to ca $300

And as for the EVC system; no, no more from me now ! Apart from it's the biggest consumer disappointment in my 59 year old life !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 am 

That's what I mean -- crazy that they did such a thing! It sounds to me like you've figured out that it ain't worth the benefits. If this is typical of the EVC stuff, then I'd expect to see many people up in arms enough that Volvo would do something about it, and also that Volvo would discontinue this system.
Did you get to take apart the failed actuator to see what's wrong with it? If you paid out of pocket, then the failed one is yours, and being the inquisitive type, I'd want to disassemble it to see what failed, and also to see if it's fixable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 pm 

kd4pbs wrote:
That's what I mean -- crazy that they did such a thing! It sounds to me like you've figured out that it ain't worth the benefits. If this is typical of the EVC stuff, then I'd expect to see many people up in arms enough that Volvo would do something about it, and also that Volvo would discontinue this system.
Did you get to take apart the failed actuator to see what's wrong with it? If you paid out of pocket, then the failed one is yours, and being the inquisitive type, I'd want to disassemble it to see what failed, and also to see if it's fixable.

Oh no, the actuator did not fail for me but it did for others usually with a "check actuator" message. The EVC system itself on mine failed internally somewhere, defaulting to:

"Check EVC system" message
Audible alarm
No gear selection possible
Tachometer stopped working ( but engine still running)

Then there is the EVC system reset button on the control panel; to acknowledge alarms and reset things. It's not designed to be fail safe.

That wonderful device allowed the EVC to be reset, gear selected with the throttle at over 2/3 open ( I caught the lever with my jacket, no detent button to be pressed so the lever moved with no hindrance ). So, it went to 3000 rpm in gear when in the launching slings, that was very, very scary indeed and dangerous .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:59 am 

Ouch! It sounds like there were no ill effects at least / nobody hurt and nothing damaged -- thankful for that!
I think that any of this type of equipment in a marine environment should have some sort of mechanical backup system. If I'm in the middle of the ocean and a computer malfunction causes me to lose my life due to not being able to get the drive in gear for the fault of a "queer electron", I'd hope my family would slap a huge lawsuit against the company that designed it without any sort of backup possible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:44 am 

Only slight damage to the bronze props but a lot of damage to my confidence !

In the event of such an alarm condition, it's possible to disconnect the cable in the engine compartment and manually put it in and out of gear. The engine would be running only at low rpm though in the "engine protection" mode, so it'd be a long journey home ( and real fun getting it onto it's mooring !)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 pm 

Sounds like another long piece of fishing line tied to the throttles would be in order ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:37 pm 

kd4pbs wrote:
Sounds like another long piece of fishing line tied to the throttles would be in order ;)

Hah, yes, mechanical is reliable, electronics in the marine environment are not ! !

The day it was launched it decided to go into alarm mode. no gear again just as I was approaching the berth. luckily the wind blew the boat on to the berth. I foolishly wrote it off as a "one off " problem. WRONG !!!!

Later, that afternoon I went out in the boat with my wife; all seemed fine until we came back to the berth when I dared to select reverse to manoever the boat neatly; that's when the alarm situation happened again, it steadfastly refused be reset and to select forwards or reverse, we were blown diagonally across 2 mooring fingers. There was nothing I could do. A horrible experience.

That's the last time we have been out this year; in April !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:00 pm 

I'm convinced! Thanks for the heads-up on that system. I'll never even consider a future boat with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:40 pm 

kd4pbs wrote:
I'm convinced! Thanks for the heads-up on that system. I'll never even consider a future boat with it.

...........and we've still not been able to use it. No alarm anymore, but the drive trim doesn't work. That fault happened when it was ashore, "resetting the EVC system" by putting the ignition switch into the "crank" position was the recommended cure and worked. It doesn't cure it now. The trim works fine if I use jump cables to the relays; so it's the HCU or PCU ( $2000 each here ) or some cables. The EVC diagnostic function doesn't seen capable of detecting faults with EVC components, only with external sensors. so, substitution with new parts is the only solution. Well done Volvo Penta, a good way to make money. Bonkers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:00 pm 

Amazing. Some of these engineers are too smart for our own good lol.
My 07 Grand Cherokee has electronic throttle control. I've not had any trouble with it, but at times it feels slightly unnatural to me. I prefer a real cable.
I spent a lot of time learning how to adjust the shift linkage of the OMC Cobra. Once you got it right its a beautiful thing.
In the salt water environment simple control cables that can be easily replaced when needed, are the way to go.
Graham, I think its time for you to get an outboard, or two, lol.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:44 pm 
268 Vista

Graham R wrote:
Now, there is a 2005 Fairline Targa 34 with KAD 300 diesels/ outdrives I can afford, we decided that for the use we make of our boats with only the occasional overnight stay on them, the running costs/ maintenance costs of having twin ( older) engines wasn't justified. Now if the EVC starts to play up with this D4 engine or the steering cylinders start to leak and screw up the helm pump, I may be regretting my words

Maybe just a little regret in your decision to nix the Fairline ??? :wink:

Sweet boat.

Carry on mate !!!

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy