www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternator gone...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:42 am 
email admin your custom rank

So, I imagine my alternator is going, going and/or gone. It is pretty hot to the touch and I really don't think the batteries are getting charged. If I cut the engine off and swim for a while and go to start it, lights dim, radio turns off etc...and it BARELY starts. SO...I am fairly certain the alt. is shot.

I believe is a Delco style alt (1987 4.3 OMC), what amp or alt should I look at getting...would 55 amp suffice or should I look at the 78? Where is the best place to order one from? Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Alternator gone...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:59 pm 

That's not a difficult one to test. Get a volt meter(not expensive) and check you battery voltage with the engine off. Should be about 12.6 volts on a new fully charged battery as long as it hasn't been recently charged in the last 12-24 hours. Just coming off a charger the battery will retain a higher voltage.
Careful! while the engine is running check the battery again. It should be just over 14 volts. There will be a noticeable difference when your engine is on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 pm 

i would just pull it and take it to a local auto parts store and have it checked out , need to have it load tested

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:08 pm 

crossram wrote:
i would just pull it and take it to a local auto parts store and have it checked out , need to have it load tested

That's exactly what I had in mind. One of the things I've had an issue with is a surging idle.... If it stays running but mostly it fires up then immediately dies. I'm thinking on top of the voltage issue, I've got a stuck anti siphon valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:13 pm 

babbot1 wrote:
That's not a difficult one to test. Get a volt meter(not expensive) and check you battery voltage with the engine off. Should be about 12.6 volts on a new fully charged battery as long as it hasn't been recently charged in the last 12-24 hours. Just coming off a charger the battery will retain a higher voltage.
Careful! while the engine is running check the battery again. It should be just over 14 volts. There will be a noticeable difference when your engine is on.

Yeah I've done that.... No significant change in battery voltage with engine running. Stays just under 13v . both batteries are fresh marine batteries and I think engine problems at high RPM stem from voltage loss at battery. This is when the engine would reach high rpm. Now I thinking there's a fuel starvation issue. After all the sea foam I've put through it it wouldn't surprise me if everything is crudded up

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:15 am 

I went thru this in the spring of 2013. New alts are expensive because they are marine rated (spark proof). Like $200-$300 worth! I took it to a parts store and they were unable to test it, because of the type of connections it has. I did call a local marine mechanic and he said he would have it rebuilt. And suggested a place and they tested it there and it cost like $80 for a rebuild with a 1 year warranty. I have the same motor you do but mine is a '90. Check to see if it can be rebuilt before you go out and spend a fortune on a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 am 

Capt. Hoss wrote:
I went thru this in the spring of 2013. New alts are expensive because they are marine rated (spark proof). Like $200-$300 worth! I took it to a parts store and they were unable to test it, because of the type of connections it has. I did call a local marine mechanic and he said he would have it rebuilt. And suggested a place and they tested it there and it cost like $80 for a rebuild with a 1 year warranty. I have the same motor you do but mine is a '90. Check to see if it can be rebuilt before you go out and spend a fortune on a new one.

+1 on getting rebuilt. Also, if you say it stays at about 13 volts even at idle then it sounds shot to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:13 am 

babbot1 wrote:
Capt. Hoss wrote:

+1 on getting rebuilt. Also, if you say it stays at about 13 volts even at idle then it sounds shot to me.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Getting it rebuilt because shopping around I have noticed that a new Delco style marine alt is at least 160 (amazon). If I can get mine rebuilt for half that....

Yeah it is hovering just below 13 (basically the voltage of a good battery) and when I flip anything on, or tilt trim it drops to just over 10 then comes back up to almost 13v. So I know the batteries are good. That, and the alternator gets really hot (too hot to touch) while running I think at least one diode is gone if not an internal short.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 am 

Take it to a place and have it rebuilt they tested mine for free and gave me a quote on the spot. Much cheaper and worked like a charm! Plus if you have it tested and its good then you know it is something else that is the issue, before throwing good money after bad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 am 

Am going to remove it from the boat tonight and bring it to a shop tomorrow. I've taken stuff to this shop before and their good