www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bilge pump wiring
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:03 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I want to add a second bilge pump. I have a high water alarm which I would like to use just the wiring for power supply. They will still be separate systems. I know I can't just put a quick connect on it, I mean I can temporary but I am sure it will corrode after just a few weeks. Do I need to cut the existing wire and Y connect the two using heat shrink wire covers? Whats the best way to wire this?

Post subject: Re: Bilge pump wiring
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:17 pm 

Personlly, I would leave the high water alarm alone.

You must (on a boat that size) have a 2nd battery that is NOT powering the stock bilge pump. Connect your 2nd pump (with a float switch) to that battery.

In other words, 2 pumps powered by 2 differnent batteries. If one battery is dead, at lest the other pump will work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:26 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
Personlly, I would leave the high water alarm alone.

You must (on a boat that size) have a 2nd battery that is NOT powering the stock bilge pump. Connect your 2nd pump (with a float switch) to that battery.

In other words, 2 pumps powered by 2 differnent batteries. If one battery is dead, at lest the other pump will work.

As standard, by 2009 278 boat had 2 bilge pumps, engine and forward bilge. ( and a high water level alarm in the engine bilge). Both pumps were supplied from the one systems battery ( now, from the two 110AH systems batteries). The +12V supply breakers for them are piggy tailed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 am 

Graham R wrote:
As standard, by 2009 278 boat had 2 bilge pumps, engine and forward bilge. ( and a high water level alarm in the engine bilge). Both pumps were supplied from the one systems battery ( now, from the two 110AH systems batteries). The +12V supply breakers for them are piggy tailed.

Thanks, That is great info on what was wired standard. My 258 does not have a forward bilge(bad bad Four Winns) so I want a secondary. I will check what the fuse/breaker is on the high water alarm and probably pig tail off that. A high water alarm should not draw hardly any power, its just a float with a buzzer.

Any recommendations on an auto bilge pump? Rule seems to be the most common and so far I haven't had any problems with them. I am thinking around 2000 gph if the hose size works with the thru hull I am considering using. I haven't check the size of it yet.