www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: House Battery Problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:56 pm 
Guppy

Hoping for some guidance guys. I have 2009 358V. A few weeks ago I replaced my ship systems battery. Using the boat normally no problem. I come back to the boat and noticed that none of my 12v systems were working. Like the battery was dead. No problem. Started up the generator (runs off of engine batter), turned on the charger and everything was fine. Used the boat all day no issues. Make a long story short. All my ship systems go dead unless I'm running the battery charger or running the engines. I thought the new battery was bad. Swapped it out for another battery. Same issue. I checked the breakers (the ones I know of), and all is ok. Anyone have an idea on what could be causing the problem? It's like the battery is completely disconnected from the boat. Could it be a bad isolator?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Quote:
It's like the battery is completely disconnected from the boat.

To the contrary, sounds like there is a constant drain or the battery is getting no alternator contribution when the engine is running. I would first look for a rogue battery cable that did not get connected back to that battery. next, you need to break out the volt meter and start checking for charge voltage while engine is running and current draws while engine is off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:28 am 

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Quote:

To the contrary, sounds like there is a constant drain or the battery is getting no alternator contribution when the engine is running. I would first look for a rogue battery cable that did not get connected back to that battery. next, you need to break out the volt meter and start checking for charge voltage while engine is running and current draws while engine is off.

In trouble shooting, one must start from square one. Meaning, did you do a voltage check? Is there +12v at the battery? Is there 12v on both sides of the House switch and breaker?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:17 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Quote:

In trouble shooting, one must start from square one. Meaning, did you do a voltage check? Is there +12v at the battery? Is there 12v on both sides of the House switch and breaker?

Hmmmm. A 2009 boat like my 278. Mine had incorrect wiring of the forward bilge pump which in a roundabout way caused house battery drain ( see 278 D4 performance thread). Maybe the same wiring genius or disgruntled employee was at work on / designing your harness