www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:51 pm 
Sting Ray

hi,
i am throwing alternator v belts on my 1996 volvo penta 5.0. going on my third belt. the service guy suggested cleaning the rusted alt pulley. i'll do that saturday. the belt squeaks at idl & stops at above idle rpm's. belt tention was tight & broke belt, tighten belt more , broke belt. i am looking at the alt pulley now. it is rusted. what do you think? belt conditioner? rust killer for the pulley to fill pits & stop the rusting, the belt looks aligined ok, w/ no wobble. the alt spin freely w/o the belt, so that is not it. i think the belt is really getting hot is the reason for failure. your thoughts?

zif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I threw four last year, replaced my alternator and haven't since. Explanation was it froze as it warmed up.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:34 pm 

Its a good ideal to see how much drag each accessory has on it, when doing your maintenance. Years ago I had this on my parents' 1975 Olds Delta 88 with the 350 V8. Pulled into the toll both at the Throgs Neck Bridge in the Bronx, NYC. Smelled a burning smell, heard a screeching. The compressor clutch for the AC compressor completely locked up. Got a knife cut the belt off (lucky we had separate belts then, serpentine belts had not been invented yet lol), drove the car home, got the AC comp clutch fixed. Wish I still had that car. 4800 lbs of real steel.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:37 pm 
230 Mike

Rust is always bad on a pulley, but Chris' theory makes sense - alternator bearings shot and seizing up when hot. You can help confirm that with a mechanic's stethoscope (or a long screwdriver :wink: ). If that's the only thing wrong with your alternator, you could probably replace the bearings.

On the rust, I'd just clean up the pulley with fine sandpaper, unless it's really pitted badly, in which case it should be replaced. Once cleaned up, it shouldn't rust as long as it stays dry. Belt dressing IMO is nothing but a (very) temporary band-aid and should be avoided. Never spray anything on a belt.

If for any reason you end up replacing the alternator, get a marine one, not an automotive one. This is one part where it matters.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:10 pm 
Sting Ray

thanks for all the replies. it really helps to get more feed back before making a decision. i will stay away from the belt conditioner for sure. i will look into replacing the alternator or maybe the pulley only . clean up the rusted pulley first & try a new belt & test it out.

thanks for the quick advice!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 am 

Try this before replacing anything but the belts:
1) run the engine for a while, then loosen all the belts
2) try to turn each accessory (ie front circulating water pump, alt, and P/S pump). If any one of them has excessive drag, or loosness or roughness in the bearings, just replace that one. I can tell you that when it gets worn, the GM style P/S pump gets really stiff. We replaced one on our '98 Jeep a few years ago. It was also making a low pitched whine for a while...
3) take a long straight edge and line it up with the pulleys. See if any is out of alignment.
Also on our '98 Jeep a few years back I had a situation where the serp belt looked like it was going to jump off one of the pulleys. What turned out to be the problem, was the harmonic balancer on the crank pulley failed, allowing the pulley to slip out of alignment. New harmonic balancer was the cure.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:18 am 
Sting Ray

I chased my tail with this problem last summer, ended up being a bad battery. I replaced everything, the alternator, belts, battery, etc. Turns out the new battery I bought to replace my old, failed battery was itself bad. Who woulda' thunk it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:25 pm 
Sting Ray

i just broke another alternator v belt. i had the alternator bench checked at the alternator shop. it was cleaned, painted & given the 'ok'. now the belt breaks after 90 minutes of run time. assuming the alternator is ok, then the water circulating pump must be seizing up but the water temp is 140 degrees. if it was the water cirlating pump wouldn't the power steering belt break & the engine temp. go up high?
i still suspect the alternator is bad. just becaused they charge you 90 bucks for the job doesn't mean ...
.just to rule out batteries mine are both new this spring.
water temp is good.
power steering no problems
i think i will look into replacing the alternator.

what do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:41 pm 

I would try running it with yet another belt with an laser thermometer in hand....one of the pullies has to be dragging....shoot the Temps at the belt pulley contact points and see where the hot point is.....then at least you may be able to identify the problem device.

The thermometers are only 15 to 20 bucks off you don't have one and can be bought at hardware store and come in handy.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:40 pm 

Is the power steering pump whining? when they get bad they whine, or growl and the bearings get very stiff.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:59 pm 
Sting Ray

update. 10.28.16
to date we broke 3 belts . the 4th belt we went to napa auto parts for a close fit 'gates' cogged belt vs a 'sierra' belt from a dealer that as been sitting around for who knows how long. so, far no breaks w/ only a couple of hours on the belt i still feel like it was the prolem. old belts & not good fit.