www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:12 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Doesn't look like it was a factory install :roll:

Almost thinking the previous owner might of removed the rest. Boat is stored, its accessible but it is 2 degrees here today, so i can't really tear into this too much now that winter is here...

some info i thought interesting from 6 weeks ago
i found a yellow 10 awg cord with a male end in the engine compartment under the battery switch :twisted: and the other end with ring terminals just laying behind the factory cd player, not connected to anything. Not sure if it was incorporated at one time.

Thanks in advance!

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:28 pm 
Livin' the Dream

ok, so i bet my hunch is right....

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Statpower-PROwat ... SwdIFXw5K8

I bet he had one of these mounted in the engine compartment, he is lucky he didn't get an explosion....

anyway.... anybody use this type? I know Surface was really set on the true RMS type.... i hate having a "inverter remote" switch that isn't even used/active mounted in the cabin.....

Damn hoosiers, I don't mean the fine people from Indiana :lol:

Past

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I use a similar inverter. Makes coffee, runs a fan, and charges laptops... works like a charm.

An expensive inverter is not required for what I do.

The inverter on my 268 was located in the engine room when I got the boat, so I relocated it to the foot locker in the aft cabin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:31 am 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks Alex!

Where is everyone connecting these into their electrical system. I am thinking I will add a manual transfer (selector switch) that will let me choose between, shore power, gen power, inverter....

Like this switch
http://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-8366-AC-R ... _2083.html

What's you guys thoughts on this. I have seen a post where someone added a couple receptacles that are only powered off the inverter. That seems like a cost effective way, just leaning the other... not even sure what I would power with an inverter on the water. I have a honda eu2000 already. I am really leaning toward getting into the boat as it now sits in the spring and seeing what we need for us while on the hook 8)

Past

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:05 am 

I have a 1500w cheap inverter powered off my battery switch so I can select which battery is used. (I have a Horizon, not a Vista).

I can run a blender, a small microwave, a small Keurig coffee maker, a small vacuum cleaner, a fan, etc (one at a time). Of course you can do all that from your EU2000, but an inverter could be handy for small "devices" such as laptop computer, portable dvd player, cell phone chargers, etc that don't take much power anyway. All of the devices I listed do not require a sine wave inverter.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:57 am 
Livin' the Dream

rpengr wrote:
I have a 1500w cheap inverter powered off my battery switch so I can select which battery is used. (I have a Horizon, not a Vista).

I can run a blender, a small microwave, a small Keurig coffee maker, a small vacuum cleaner, a fan, etc (one at a time). Of course you can do all that from your EU2000, but an inverter could be handy for small "devices" such as laptop computer, portable dvd player, cell phone chargers, etc that don't take much power anyway. All of the devices I listed do not require a sine wave inverter.

Interesting, so you just come off the load or output of the battery selector switch.... thanks for the feedback rpengr! I don't want to make this bigger than it needs to be.... the keurig would score points with my wife :lol:

Past

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:26 am 

We installed the Xantrex modified sine wave inverter with the built in transfer switch. It works, but I would recommend a true sine wave for the following reasons.
1. The microwave takes half again to twice the time to heat something using the inverter.
2. The 110 volt fan "hums".
3. There is a faint buzz in the audio system when the TV is connected to the stereo.
These issues do not occur when on shorepower or when using the Honda.

It is very nice to be able to make coffee or heat up a beverage or snack without starting the Honda while others are still waking up.

The existing shorepower system is designed for 30 amps. The 1100 watt cooktop and 1300+ watt water heater can be run at the same time. Many of the inverters with a built in transfer switch will limit current to around 15 amps, including "pass-through" current from the 30 amp shorepower connection. Higher shorepower current flow may pop a circuit breaker on the inverter. This would be one benefit of using a manual selector switch between the shorepower connection and the 110 volt panel. I would recommend connecting to the existing 110 Volt system for simplicity and so that all the existing receptacles are available to be used. Many inverters have two 110 volt outlets on the inverter. This might be a convenient additional outlet, depending on where it is mounted. You can probably connect the inverter to the 110 volt system by disconnecting the wires at the shorepower connection, connecting that wire to the inverter or switch, and adding a length of wire from there up to the shorepower connection. Several inverter makers recommend no more than 5 foot cables from battery to inverter. you will need to go longer to get out of the engine room.

Keep in mind that the 268 has a refrigerator/battery charger switch on the 110 volt panel. This works great while on shorepower. HOWEVER, an inverter draws battery power to power all 110 volt appliances in use, including the battery charger. By turning off the refrigerator/battery charger switch, the battery charger is turned off and will not further drain the battery. The OEM refrigerator is a 12v/110v unit. When 110 volt power is not available it will run on 12 volts. It needs to be switched back on to charge the batteries when shorepower or the Honda is used.

We have used a 700 watt 5 cup Mr. Coffee. The Kuerigs are great, but they draw about 1500 watts. Make sure your system is up to it.
Water Heater 1300+ watts
Electric cooktop 1100 watts
Microwave 800 watts
Kuerig 1500 watts
Mr. Coffee 700 watts
2 slice toaster 900-1500 watts
Fans maybe 100-200 watts
TVs and laptops approx 100 watts each.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:11 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Surface Interval wrote:
We installed the Xantrex modified sine wave inverter with the built in transfer switch. It works, but I would recommend a true sine wave for the following reasons.
1. The microwave takes half again to twice the time to heat something using the inverter.
2. The 110 volt fan "hums".
3. There is a faint buzz in the audio system when the TV is connected to the stereo.
These issues do not occur when on shorepower or when using the Honda.

It is very nice to be able to make coffee or heat up a beverage or snack without starting the Honda while others are still waking up.

The existing shorepower system is designed for 30 amps. The 1100 watt cooktop and 1300+ watt water heater can be run at the same time. Many of the inverters with a built in transfer switch will limit current to around 15 amps, including "pass-through" current from the 30 amp shorepower connection. Higher shorepower current flow may pop a circuit breaker on the inverter. This would be one benefit of using a manual selector switch between the shorepower connection and the 110 volt panel. I would recommend connecting to the existing 110 Volt system for simplicity and so that all the existing receptacles are available to be used. Many inverters have two 110 volt outlets on the inverter. This might be a convenient additional outlet, depending on where it is mounted. You can probably connect the inverter to the 110 volt system by disconnecting the wires at the shorepower connection, connecting that wire to the inverter or switch, and adding a length of wire from there up to the shorepower connection. Several inverter makers recommend no more than 5 foot cables from battery to inverter. you will need to go longer to get out of the engine room.

Keep in mind that the 268 has a refrigerator/battery charger switch on the 110 volt panel. This works great while on shorepower. HOWEVER, an inverter draws battery power to power all 110 volt appliances in use, including the battery charger. By turning off the refrigerator/battery charger switch, the battery charger is turned off and will not further drain the battery. The OEM refrigerator is a 12v/110v unit. When 110 volt power is not available it will run on 12 volts. It needs to be switched back on to charge the batteries when shorepower or the Honda is used.

We have used a 700 watt 5 cup Mr. Coffee. The Kuerigs are great, but they draw about 1500 watts. Make sure your system is up to it.
Water Heater 1300+ watts
Electric cooktop 1100 watts
Microwave 800 watts
Kuerig 1500 watts
Mr. Coffee 700 watts
2 slice toaster 900-1500 watts
Fans maybe 100-200 watts
TVs and laptops approx 100 watts each.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas! Great info, as always Gary!

I was worried about the frig part and how I would handle it. My main thought was to just switch it off inverter when not in use. This is 100% the way to go. I am seeing inverters from 100-150 with the modulated sine wave and closer to 350-400 and up for the pure sine wave.... struggling with the extra cost.... if I go modulated and selector switch I can do it all for around the cost of the pure sine wave inverter.... I don't know, it's a spring project at the soonest....

This seems like one that would work for $150
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/xantrex- ... aQod1NYJZQ

what is your thoughts on that one?

Past

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:26 pm 

Well, I still recommend the Pure sine wave over the Modified sine wave. But, an inverter is better than no inverter. 1500 watt would be as small as I would go. Keep in mind that the inverter is not a long lasting source of power for heavy loads. The inverter will drain a battery bank fairly quickly under heavy loads, but it works great for shorter times or lighter loads.

Are you planning to use the switch you had linked earlier? As (I think) I mentioned earlier, my inverter has the built in transfer switch. I didn't need much more than two 10 foot 2/0 battery cables, a fuse for the battery cable, and some 10/3 wire,

Another consideration is the condition of your battery charger. I believe you indicated that you had bought a new charger. A while back Bliss 36 posted that he had installed a Xantrex Charger/Inverter. Its a bit more money, but combines all the functions of inverting and battery charging in one box. I'm not sure if they need to turn the fridge/charger switch on and off depending on the source of power. Just a thought. Us northern types wind up with 4, 5, or maybe even 6 months of off-season to dream up crap to do to our boats. Invariably, half of the brilliant ideas don't work for some reason or another. Its always good to have lots of pictures of the inner workings and key features of the boat for these off-season ideas though........

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:07 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Yes, all winter to dream about stuff, I wish I had storage like Bliss, heated so I could just hang out and tinker....

The reason I am looking at the separate selector switch is it seemed like a good way to feed the Honda generator into the system. What do most people do (to connect the portable)? I really didn't want to run a cord exposed all the time. Might do it this summer if I drag my feet much on this decision/install :roll:

Do you have a model number for your inverter with the pass through transfer switch? I am open to all info guys on this forum share. I really need to get this boat on the water so I can quit worrying about it being dependable. I always feel like things are about to go out on a used boat that I purchase, it's all a gamble, just want to get to the fun part :lol:

Past

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:18 pm 

My inverter is the Xantrex Pro Series XM1800, P#806-1810. Ebay prices start around $325.00. When you combine the price of the inverter and the switch, this one may not be that much more. I felt this one was easier to install than one with a separate transfer switch.

We use a 15 foot shorepower cord from the Honda on the swim platform to the shorepower receptacle. Yes, it is in the way at times, but not bad. If you are using the Honda on the swim platform, use a cable lock or other means to secure the Honda so you don't give it a swimming lesson. I thought about adding a second shorepower receptacle in the rear storage compartment, but I don't like the idea of male pins in a shorepower receptacle being hot when shorepower is connected to a different receptacle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:57 am 
Livin' the Dream

Thank you
I like that the passthrough inverter is 25 amp. i think i will tear into this when i get the boat and look to see what will work best.

thanks for all the help!
and remember the days(sunlight) get longer starting tomorrow!

Past

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:47 pm 

chris268 wrote:
rpengr wrote:

Interesting, so you just come off the load or output of the battery selector switch.... thanks for the feedback rpengr! I don't want to make this bigger than it needs to be.... the Keurig would score points with my wife :lol:

Yes, I come off the output side of the battery switch (the same lug going to the starter). My Horizon setup is simple: 2 starting batteries, Switch with Off,1,Both,2 positions. When it's off, everything is off except bilge float switch.

The blender scores a lot of points on my boat when making frozen margaritas. :D

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:24 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Thank you for the response. I use one of these
http://www.bestmargaritamachines.com/ma ... er-review/

I bought it when I had a 19' runabout

http://www.bestmargaritamachines.com/ma ... er-review/