www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:01 pm 
Clownfish

I just bought a 1987 Sundowner 215 that has spent it's life on fresh water. It runs well but I have to track down a few electrical glitches and thought I'd see if anyone has dealt with anything similar.
•The voltmeter is stuck on 11 volts (never moves) although the batteries are around 12.6 and the alternator output over 14.
•The stern drive position indicator also doesn't move although the drive goes up and down normally. The previous owner had the throttle handle and cables replaced last year.
•Wiper doesn't work
•There are some glass fuses under the instrument panel that are unmarked - not sure of what they go to. I'm guessing the ones on the panel go with the switch closest to them.

-------I have some drawings and schematics from other years but none for my specific boat. I'm going to try to trace the circuits and check for the proper voltages at the malfunctioning gauges. From what I've read on the forum, I'm inclined to replace all the glass fuses and at some point maybe modernize the fuse panel....

I'd appreciate any advice and if anyone has the correct manuals, schematics, etc. or can point me where to look, I'd be grateful. I'll report back what I find in the hopes that it might help someone else with an elderly boat.

Tim

1973 Starcraft 21' Chieftain 120 HP Mercruiser I/O
PADI Master Diver
IANTD Technical EANx Diver
Commercial Pilot
Flight Instructor

Post subject: Re: Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:42 pm 
230 Mike

Trim senders are problematic in any case; at that age it could be the sender, the gauge, and/or a broken wire in between (probably near the sender). The voltmeter (gauge) is probably just shot, gauges in general seem to fail for many reasons at lower ages than yours.

What engine/drive, etc.? (It’ll help you and us to put all that in your signature.)

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:21 pm 
Clownfish

230 Mike - I've updated my signature as you suggested - makes sense

The previous owner says the voltmeter and stern drive indicator were working in July when he used it last but who knows. Hope to dig into it tomorrow and see if anything jumps out at me. I'm not too impressed with the wiring so far - eventually I'll redo a lot of it and bundle the wires and secure them better. Think I'll change the fuse block out to one that uses blade type fuses.

Tim

1973 Starcraft 21' Chieftain 120 HP Mercruiser I/O
PADI Master Diver
IANTD Technical EANx Diver
Commercial Pilot
Flight Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:12 am 
email admin your custom rank

Don't know about the Merc trim senders, I have fixed my OMC one a few times, but the low voltage reading on the dash gauge is probably either an old, internally corroded gauge, or the terminals and connections are oxidized or corroded and need to be cleaned off. I have the same problem with mine, it will read 12V when the batteries are both at 14.2V. In fact I had an issue with the batteries a few years back, the gauge was reading normal, but the old alt was actually overcharging them! (gauge said 13.5 but batteries read 15.5v). Replaced the alt a few years back and no more troubles with the batteries.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II