www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 am 
email admin your custom rank

aguyindallas wrote:
pet575 wrote:
For those of you who have done this project, how many inches in the flexible LED strips are you using to get the level of brightness you have? I was thinking of starting with a 1.2 inch strip on each side of the bow, each side of the aft seating, and under each helm. Do you think this will provide enough light? I want subtlety rather than blazing illumination so I don't want to overdo it.

Also, I'd like to change out the bulbs in my courtesy light at the base of the aft seats as well as the instrument bulbs on my dash-changing all to red. Anyone know if these bulbs are universal among the FW's or specific models (like Horizons) and if they are also universal in use (courtesy light, instrument lights, etc.).

Somewhere I think I remember 230Mike having a thread on my second question, but I can't find it in a search.

I used the 9.5 inch strips (if I recall correctly) in all areas of my boat and I believe Impulse did as well. To me, they are just right. Not soo much that they interfere with night vision but also not so dim that they are barely noticed either.

Yep, used the same 9.5 strips. I was acutally worried they were not going to be bright enough, but they are actually good and have gotten compliments, so I'm gonna leave them alone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 pm 

I took the plunge. Like Impulse, I used Oznium strip lights. 9.5 in the recesses and under the helm, 4.7 in the storage areas and engine compartment, and a couple superbrites in the coolers. It came out unbelievably nice. I used the remote control they have too, with the dimmer. All together, I think I had 16 or 18 areas I lighted, and spent under $200. I am very impressed with the Oznium product and they were delivered very quickly.

The light strip is more flexible than I thought it would be. And, the double stick tape worked surprisingly well. At first, I was putting the tape, plus a few dabs of 5200. But then I realized the tape was fine on its own. I got it all done in about four hours, and it was super easy. I'll post some pics later this week.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:57 pm 
Goldfish

Flying Sushi wrote:
Since Weather was not decent the early part of July 4th long weekend so I had a chance to complete our LED project for our 260. They are Ozunium Flexible LED lights (blue)….. We are very pleased the way they came out….. Only wish to keep bugs away when we are not moving…. They tend to attract them... :roll:

Flying Sushi,
What lenth did you buy for your compartments and under the dash? Did you wire them all together to one switch?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:32 pm 
Goldfish

Also how much extra wire is required or do they come with enough wire to get to the helm? Did you need to install a relay or an extra fuse?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:52 pm 

I used 19-inch strip in each area.. They are all connected in junction box under the dash then connected to accessory switch… They draw so small amp so we should not have any issue with 5 strips of LED lights… You just make sure + and – is correct…. Unlike regular DC lamp If you do not connect wire right it will not work. The light comes with about foot of wire so you have to run additional wire through head compartment and bow. If you use electricians snake it is not bad to feet wire through.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 am 
Goldfish

One more question. What did you use for a junction box?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:57 am 

Quote:
What did you use for a junction box?

Typical Terminal blooks which you can get it from Radio Shack and Grainger. It is over kill for but I did not want just crimp all together...
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6YH65?Pid=search

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:14 pm 

I didn't do it that way. I ran a line basically around the boat, and tapped into it along the way. At the fuse block, I have the remote receiver. It has two circuits going out. So, i used one for the front half and one for the rear half.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:05 pm 
Goldfish

Just wanted to post pics from the new install. Thanks again Flying Sushi for the idea and tips!

Last edited by masssteve on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:14 am 

Steve:
Nice job.... came out great! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:43 am 

Looks great. I did something similiar on my 24' cruiser but I think yours looks much nicer. Adds a very nice personalized touch to the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:03 pm 
Seahorse

WOW, that really looks awesome. Man, I'm feeling compelled to do the same to mine now. Great job!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 am 
Seahorse

Steve, Very Preeetttty! When Can You Fit Me In to Do My 210SS?

2012 Ford King Ranch V6 eco-boost-Tow Vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:08 am 

After jf210mpd asked a question about my LED install on another thread, I finally got around to getting some pictures and doing a write-up. I figured I would revive this thread as it was one of my primary sources while researching my project. Thanks again for all the ideas.

I went with all Oznium.com products for the lights. Excellent company in my opinion. As a testament, I first wired up the controller and lights on my workbench without any issues. I went to install in the boat and when i powered up the controller, I smelled something get hot. I then noticed the red lights were on no matter what the setting. I sent an email to the link provided with my order and explained in detail what happened. I got an email back the next day saying it was probably a defective controller and a new one was shipped that same day. No questions asked and they didn't even want the old controller back. In addition, being a novice electrician, I had several questions regarding their products and made several calls to their customer service prior to placing an order. They took the time to understand what I was looking for and walked me through my order to make sure I got what I wanted the first time. Excellent service.

My original plan called to run two circuits, one for red and one for white. I planned on replacing my wiper switch (unused) with a two way switch and wiring the two circuits to that. After discussing with Ozium.com, I realized I could get an RBG (million color) option on one circuit for less cost than running two separate circuits. However, the standard controller would revert back to it's pre-programmed mode during every power on. I primarily wanted static red lighting. Oznium.com recommened their Freedom RGB Controller. It has 11 modes (4 cycling and 7 static colors), comes with a handheld wireless remote, has the ability to adjust brightness, and has a memory card to store the last setting (allows me to keep it on red without having to adjust it each time I power it on). Overall, I got more functionality and easier install all for a lower cost. Once again, thank you Oznium.com. Mated to the controller, I have three 12 inch Waterproof Ribbon LED Strips in RGB (million color). One is mounted below the helm and one each mounted above the rear drink holder cubbies (all out of sight). I have plans to install two more, one each above the front drink holder cubbies. I also plan on redoing the wiring under the helm as I think it's a rat's nest. I should have taken Sushi's advice and used terminal blocks. I will probably change that out this winter to clean it up a bit. In addition, I have two Tri-Chip Ultra Flexible Waterproof LED Strips (12 inches) in Cool White mounted on each side of the engine bay. I went with the Tri-Chips as Oznium.com said they were the brightest waterproof LED strips they offer. These are hooked up to the courtesy light circuit (not through the controller) as they serve more of a utilitarian purpose. They also look cool.

Regarding the install, it wasn't too difficult. I think it took me about half a day broken up into a couple different outings. As others have said previously, fish tape would help. I actually used some residential grade eletrical wire as my fish tape since I had some laying around. Also, I found the glue on the strips to work fairly well. I had one spot that didn't want to hold, but a little dab of 4200 fixed that. I used double sided 3M tape to mount the controller box under the helm out of sight. Another advantage of the Freedom controller is you can mount it out of site and use the remote to change settings when desired. And the 3M tape holds it securely without drilling any holes. I used Ancor marine grade 14/5way wire for the RGB (million color) lights. These require 4way wire (red, green, blue & white), but I got a decent deal on the 5way stuff and left one wire unused. I know the 14ga is way overkill, and it provided some difficulty terminating to the LED strips (another reason I want to clean up with terminal blocks this winter). However, it was all I could find in marine grade in at least a 4way sheath at a reasonable price. I used Ancor marine grade 16/2way wire for the Tri-Chip Strips used in the engine bay.

Here are some pics of the finished product. The pictures were taken inside my Toybox at dusk, so it wasn't completely dark. Also, trust me, none of the lights are truly as bright as they appear in these photos. They are all softer in real life, with maybe the exception being the engine bay lights. Those Tri-Chips are bright! My apologies now for the pictures. I obviously need some training on my wife's camera.

Dash with instrument lights converted over to red LED (Superbrightleds.com). Also, you can't make out the display on the upgraded depth gauge with water/air temp (Faria), but it was 82 degrees when I shot this photo.

Freedom RGB Controller mounted up underneath helm

Ribbon Strip LED Light mounted up in cupholder cubbie (picture from laying down on seat)

View of cupholder cubbie from opposite seat (shows LED strip is mounted out of sight)

Cockpit RGB LEDs on red (my standard setting. . . once again, it's not near this bright in person)

Cockpit RGB LEDs in green

Cockpit RGB LEDs in blue

Cockpit RGB LEDs in white

Engine Bay White LEDs (wired to courtesy light circuit)

All in all, I have less than $200 in LED lights/controller (including two extra RGB strips for front cupholder cubbies), and probably another $200 in wiring, connectors, tape, etc. Being a novice, I went overboard and got enough wire/supplies to do this project once over again. I definitely could have saved a few bucks in this area, but I got plenty of spares if any of my buddies attempt to tackle this type of project.

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about this type of project. I would recommend it as it is relatively inexpensive and easy enough for a novice to tackle (with plenty of homework and preparation).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:49 pm 
Clownfish

JDW250,

Your project looks great! I bet its nice to have all those options. I did go to Oznium.com and do a little reading. I was not real clear on the operation of the different remotes and their ability to switch between specific colors, red and white in my case. How hard is it with the controller/remote that you got? Can you go between the two colors without going through the whole color spectrum? I watched the video for that and it appeared that you have to go through all the options to get back to the beginning. If so, what a pain in the rear! I don't think I will use any other colors but I did like their video with the music interface.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next