www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:28 pm 
Minnow

Hello all, not new to boating, but new to the forum. Great stuff in here. I have gleaned info for several months and finally decided to join up.

While boating Memorial day, by anchor line rode over my bow light while setting an anchor on Lake Mich, breaking off the cover. Lost to the depths! I was looking at LED lights to replace it and the Attwood 3500 Series fits the footprint of the old light perfectly (old on was attwood 3300 series-non LED). Here comes the question:

The installation directions say to use a 1 amp fuse, but the current wiring is 2 amp and also runs the anchor light. Will I burn up the LED if I keep it 2A to ensure the anchor light comes on both while using "NAV" or "Anchor" (dual rocker switch). Do I have to run a new circuit for the bow light (very inconvenient) or switch my anchor light to LED to make it work?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Hudsonville, MI
1999 240 Horizon 5.7L GSi/SX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:07 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The LED will draw way less, just use your existing fuse, switch and wiring. You need to upgrade wire, switches etc when you are installing something that draws more current, not less. The LED light will draw the current it needs, if there is a 100 amp fuse in there it wont hurt it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:39 am 
Minnow

kp47,

you wrote: "The LED will draw way less, just use your existing fuse, switch and wiring"

I know it draws less and I am not worried about the fuse/wiring/switch being overloaded. I am questioning because installation says "Fuse must be 1 amp" and later says "Failure to make the proper connections and fuse the light properly will void the product warranty".

There is a reason why certain electrical components have different fuse ratings. Like I said earlier, I am not worried about the wiring etc, but want to make sure the light is properly protected. I just had a thought that may solve the entire issue: In-line 1A fuse just before the light. Easy to install since I have to make connections with the new light anyway.

Hudsonville, MI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 am 
230 Mike

Not sure what the purpose would be in adding another, smaller, fuse for that one light. It won't hurt anything though if it makes you more comfortable.

The statement about voided warranties is a reference to not having it fused at all. Manufacturers of products like that have no way of knowing what kind of configuration the device will be connected to so they have to cover themselves.

If you also change the anchor light to LED you could probably change the existing fuse to 1A, since the two fixtures together would likely draw less than that. But several here have changed every light in the boat to LED and left the fuses alone.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:30 am 
Minnow

Looks like I will do the easy install and just connect the new light.

Thanks for the input guys.

Hudsonville, MI