www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1990 351 no spark.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 pm 
Tadpole

I recently purchased a 1990 sundownner 225 with a 351 ford. The guy I bought it from could not get it running. I have done some diagnostics and found that there is not any spark. He also told me that he accidentally hooked power up to the wrong side of the coil when he was trouble shooting it him self. I think that there 3 different things I should be looking at. The coil, shift assist module and the petronix points eliminator. The coil has power on both posts when cranking, also when I put my test light to the positive side of my battery and touch both sides of the coil I back feed power to the dash. Not sure if that is normal or not. I dont feel like throwing parts at it till i know exactly what the problem is. Any ideas where to go from here?

Post subject: Re: 1990 351 no spark.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:26 pm 
Guppy

Inspect the Pertronix module closely. Look at the white label with the part number on it. If you notice any wrinkles, shrinking, discoloration, those are clear signs of heat damage. The pickup module at that point is toast.

Pertronix pickup modules can be damaged by the ignition left in the run position without the engine running. Even for a short time.

Being a hotrod guy, I will never run a pertronix ignition ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:20 pm 
Tadpole

I checked it out and I does not look like there is any heat damage to it. Should there be any power with key on at the battery side of the coil? I don’t have any power there till I go to start position on the key. Are there any fuses to check?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:57 pm 
Guppy

Yes you should have 12v at the coil. Start at the coil and trace the power wire back to the ignition switch with a test light until you find 12v.