www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead Battery
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I usually run my genset all night to keep the air/heat on, but over the past weekend it was the perfect temperature so we were able to leave it off.

I awoke to dead batteries both Saturday and Sunday morning. All I left on was the fridge, and the GPS for the anchor drag alarm. Battery was down to 9.62V on Saturday, and even with trying to use both on the switch, it did not change the voltage.

Thankfully I was able to get the genny to fire up and did not have to get a jump from the boat I was rafted up with.

Same thing Sunday morning, except I did not have my GPS on over night, just the fridge. Genny nor engine would start.

I have not done anything with the batteries since I've owned the boat. It had new group 24...yes too small, batteries put in before we puchased it. I plan on tracing the wiring to make sure its all wired correct, I assume its not since putting the batteries in parallel or just the engine or house battery did not change the voltage on my GPS display.

How would I check the isolator to make sure its functioning properly? We won't be taking the boat out any more this season but I'd like to figure it out as best as I can so next year I can just toss in new properly sized batteries....

Post subject: Re: Dead Battery
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm 

Sorry to hear what happened.

How old are they?? The other thing about right sizing is, if the battery is too small, you will shorten it's life. I would think your batteries are wet cells not AGM. If there group 24 in AGM, they may not be too small. Mine put out 880CCA. If there wetcells, you may need to use group 27 or bigger. I use AGM, I run the fridg all night, lights, anchor light, radio & more. The next morning, start the engine all off the same battery.

As to the isolator, I don't have one, I use combiners so I am not sure. I would go the manufacturers web site to see how I would test it and even call then. Yes I would check the wiring, only after testing the isolator first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:20 pm 

firecadet613 wrote:
How would I check the isolator to make sure its functioning properly? We won't be taking the boat out any more this season but I'd like to figure it out as best as I can so next year I can just toss in new properly sized batteries....

Fire welcome to my world. I have the instructions on how to check the isolator but my guess based on my past problems is that it's not the isolator. My problems ended up being one weak battery. I would wait until spring and put in two new fresh batteries. That along with some crossed wires ended up solving my problems. I'll send the instructions on the isolator to you in an email.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:24 pm 

Sounds good.

I was trying to hold off on new batteries and make these new group 24s work. Marina put in the cheapest they could when the widow listed this boat. My guess is they also mixed up some wires as I haven't touched the battery wires at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:39 pm 
268 Vista

firecadet613 wrote:
I leave mine connected all winter. Just turn the battery switch to off, and it fires up fine in the spring.

Maybe you should have followed your own advice.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:38 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:
I leave mine connected all winter. Just turn the battery switch to off, and it fires up fine in the spring.

Maybe you should have followed your own advice.

???????

Please explain how to turn the battery switch to off and still run everything on the boat while your on the hook....