www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Gauge Inop
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The Vista 278 I just bought has a problem in the fuel gauge circuit. It has the individual gauges, not the 'automotive style' cluster panel.

When you turn the ignition on, the gauge goes below E. It sets at E when no power is supplied, but goes below E when you do turn the key on :?:

I got my multimeter and OHM'ed out the sending unit. Result = 130 OHMs. Alittle over half tank of gas.

I connect the red and ground wire together, which should result in the gauge jumping to FULL, but it does nothing but goes below E again. It seems the only movement it knows is from E to below E...lol.

Anybody else have problems with their fuel gauge? Any suggestions or is my gauge faulty?

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge Inop
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:46 pm 

Have you ohmed out the wires from the sender to the panel? It sound like something is shorted.

If you put your meter on the back of the gauge in the 12v DC range. Try it with the gauge disconnected too! Than move the float to the sender, you shoud see the meter go up & down as you move the float.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:46 am 

Ok I admit, I win first prize in the special needs department today...lol.

I just bought the boat and didnt realize that the ground wire for the fuel sending unit runs directly to the battery neg post. I ran a remote wire just to see if the gauge would work if I grounded the sending unit, sure enough it did. As I was down in the bilge I found a green wire with a connector at the end laying down by the battery tray. OOPS!

Followed the wire and it went to the gas tank. Hooked it up to the neg post and now I have a working gas gauge :mrgreen:

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:50 pm 

Thats GREAT!! It really was a simple fix!

People don't realize there is 12v going to the fuel tank. The float has a variable resister on/in it. The fuel gauge is nothing but a ohms meter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:46 am 
Guppy

Technologic80 wrote:
Ok I admit, I win first prize in the special needs department today...lol.

I just bought the boat and didnt realize that the ground wire for the fuel sending unit runs directly to the battery neg post. I ran a remote wire just to see if the gauge would work if I grounded the sending unit, sure enough it did. As I was down in the bilge I found a green wire with a connector at the end laying down by the battery tray. OOPS!

Followed the wire and it went to the gas tank. Hooked it up to the neg post and now I have a working gas gauge :mrgreen:

I have the same problem with my fuel gauge. Where did you find the wire that hooks to the negative terminal? I looked yesterday and can't find it. :(