www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:01 pm 
Clownfish

Ok, I have a Guest 2615 charger onboard my boat. It only has a single red light, but that red light never comes on. Any suggestions on how to test the charger? I have a multi meter and have verified 110 going into the charger, but it just seems like i'm reading Battery voltage on the output side.

i'm thinking the thing is dead, but being always the optimist, i'm hoping to find a fuse... disconnected wire, or something simple before I drop 100 bucks on a new charger.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:13 am 
email admin your custom rank

You will have to disconnect the battery to check DC output voltage. The output volatage should be in the 13.5v to 14.5v range. Guest does not have the procedure in their manual but the ProMariner instructions should help.

ProTech Battery Charger Testing Procedure

All you will need for this test is a voltmeter and the tools to connect and disconnect the batteries.
This test is best performed at the batteries, but can be performed at the charger.
1) Power down the charger and disconnect all the cables from the batteries (or the charger) and making sure the battery cables are not touching each other.
2) Connect the charger back to A/C power. The charger should be in either the Fast Charge Mode or the Absorption Charge Mode. Check the voltage between each positive and negative lead (or common ground) and see if you get 14.6 volts (for lead-acid batteries) or 14.1 (for gel-cell batteries).
3) If you see this, leave the charger hooked up to AC but, do not hook up the batteries. Leave the charger on for the allotted number of hours as set by the (S1) dipswitches (you can safely leave the charger on over night). Go back to the charger. You should now have just the green light on. Recheck the voltage and you should now get 13.3 volts from each positive lead to the negative lead.
4) If you see all of the above, your charger is working fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:15 pm 
Clownfish

This is great!! Thanks for the advice. One evening this week I will try it and let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:12 pm 
Clownfish

Well, the verdict is in.... Charger is dead. Have purchased my replacement (Guest 2611a) charger. and in typical fashion. NOTHING is the same.

* I have a battery switch, (none of the directions address that)
* My batteries are in parallel (wiring diagrams show series)
* The 2615 I'm replacing you wired to it, the 2611a are hardwired in, and leads come out.

So what I thought was an EASY job, looks like it just became much more of a challenge. I'm thinking I have to find out where the wires go from the current charger (I think they head right to the switch but have to confirm). Once I can confirm those wires will be dead, i'll run the two new leads from the charger, to the batteries direct. Sound about right?? love to hear suggestions from anyone who has done this.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:06 pm 
Clownfish

Ok, Now i'm curious what is right.

I just got told by the local marine store NOT to connect the charger through my battery switch. Currently it was wired to do so. and i read another post where a guy said that was the BEST way, (wiring it THROUGH the switch)

Anybody have any advice?? I'm looking at having to re-wire and remove the wires to the switch, or use the switch???

I know what I want to do, but if its wrong, I don't want to do it.

Thanks all!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

I'd be curious to hear opinions on this as well. When I replaced my Guest factory charger with the Promariner, I wired directly to the batteries with a 25 amp fuse between each battery and the charger. I asked a few of the knowlegable boaters in my marina about this configuration and they saw nothing wrong with it. I chose to do it this way because the factory installed charger is just too inaccessible. I've been using the new charger for 2.5 years with no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:24 pm 
Clownfish

I ended up going direct to the battery. To keep the switch tied in would have meant splitting open the lines that were hard wired out of the charger, so I isolated the old lines, and went direct to the batteries. I'm thinking I won't have any issues, just not sure what functionality I have lost by by-passing the switch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm 
Livin' the Dream

So, i stumbled on this post while searching for issues with my battery charger. Here is a good manual that explains the led lights and what they mean.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/64016 ... =12#manual

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp