www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:55 pm 
Tadpole

Hi all i am a new boat owner. I have a 1999 Horizon 220. I bought it in Feb of this year. Everything has been going great untill the 4th of July weekend while on a week vacation on the lake i noticed that my batteries werent recharging while out on the water. I figured it was the alternator so I charged the battiers overnight every night so we can spend the day on the water. Onc ei came home i had my mechanic check out the alternator and it tested fine. The gentlman i bought the boat from replaced both batteries for me ( so he said). They look like new batteries so i am assuming its not the batteries. I did however replace just the radio head unit and nothing else. Im not sure if the new radio is causing the issue. So i disconnected the radio and have th ebatteries charging untill next weekend when i take the boat out again. I hope that by disconnecting the new radio it fixes the problem. In the mean time has anyone else experienced an issue where there batteries didnt recharge and alternator tested out ok?
Please Advise.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

YES! I just had this problem on my 278 Vista. It was the 60amp breakers down in the bilge. Apparently the breakers are between the alternators and batteries, so when they pop no juice gets back to the batteries.

Look in the bilge for the breaker.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:35 pm 
Sting Ray

Two other simple checks not sure which one was my problem but definitly one was because now I have no charging problems.

1. Belt tension, make sure you've got proper altenator belt tension, my belt had almost 3/4" deflection and 1/4" is the spec.
2. Mine is a 1994 motor with a 2010 altenator, old altenator had 3 connections, new only has 2.... this left an extra (purple) wire, it is possible this wire was interfering, I isolated it by taping up the connector and then pulling it way back into the rubber boot so there is no chance of interference.

Did both of these after my altenator tested good and I'm now charging 13.8V @ 1000rpm and 14.4V @ 2500 rpm.

4 kids, 2 dogs, 2 horses, 4 acres, an amazing wife, a boat and no time....

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.