www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Just picked up one to carry for loooong days (maybe weekends too) on the water. My biggest worry with a single battery system is hearing the dreaded "CLICK" when turning the key after a few hours of tunes while drifting or at anchor. Until I get the 2nd battery and the mounted onboard charger wired in, I figured this was the next best thing. Anybody else using something similiar? Experiences? Bitches, gripes, complaints, praise?

Schumacher XP2260 @ $129.00
http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026989

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

I have one also just added security, haven't used it on my boat but I have given it to a couple on the sandbar and they were very happy I had it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:57 am 

I've got dual batteries and still bought one. Mine was a basic unit, around $40. Pretty cheap insurance, I used it a couple of times to jump start my Sister in Laws car they left at our vacation home while they are doing their Great Loop trip.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:08 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I do have dual batts, but bought one of those for the GF's car. It's great for camping as I like having all the outlets, etc for the tent and air mattress. I could see us using in the boat too down the road.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:25 pm 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
Just picked up one to carry for loooong days (maybe weekends too) on the water. My biggest worry with a single battery system is hearing the dreaded "CLICK" when turning the key after a few hours of tunes while drifting or at anchor. Until I get the 2nd battery and the mounted onboard charger wired in, I figured this was the next best thing. Anybody else using something similiar? Experiences? Bitches, gripes, complaints, praise?

Schumacher XP2260 @ $129.00
http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026989

Add a dual battery setup with a combiner. You won't need the battery pack. Now you have to keep the pack charged up and carry it. With the combiner, both on-board batteries will always be charged up. You won't have to do a thing. Plus, you will never get +800CCA out of a pack.

Now I am reaching, but this can happen. So the battery on board shorts out inside itself or it is so dead/going bad that it sucks the life out of the pack. Why, because you must put them in parallel. With the dual battery switch, you can switch batterers & keep them separate so they can't discharge into each other. The pack, can not do that.

Last edited by Paul I. on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:59 pm 

I think the batt pack is OK as a temporary back up, I have had several of them and what happens is that they do not hold a charge all that well, over a couple of years of use even if you keep it plugged in a lot. I'd put the dual batt system in at least, or even add the combiner. I don't even have the combiner, I just have alternated batt use with each trip and have not had a dead batt in years. I did find the batt pack useful for keeping cell phones charged when on camping trips. I think there is a big difference between the cheaper ones you get at Autozone and the ones that really have the amps to start a V-8 repeatedly, they are expensive and at that price point it does not cost much more to add the dual batt system.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:14 pm 

I am reading my own post, I don't mean to be harsh!! AS Lou stated, for that much money and a little more, you can add the dual set up. Battery, about $75, dual switch about $35, batt hold down $10, cables $20 to $40 depending on run. A combiner is about $60, not needed but it makes charging automatically done for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:59 pm 
268 Vista

A bit difficult to jump start a fellow boater who needs it with just a two battery set up. The jump pack can be used year round, conveniently. I have jumped many boats and vehicles over the years with mine, and it holds a charge for 4-6 months with no problem. Great idea to have two batteries, but a jump pack is some insurance for you and anyone around that might need a jump start. A sound investment IMO.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:15 pm 

Paul and Lou, I do plan on adding the 2nd battery, but it will prob be next year. Until then I will use this as insurance, so far I have used it multiple times while working on the boat in the driveway instead of lugging extension cords out, and I have to say this thing is a beast, used it on Sunday for 4 hours straight, powering a oil extractor pump, drill with wire wheel, the built in air pump to blow some stuff out of hard to reach corners, and had my cell phone charging on it. All in all, I used 25% of its charge.

Plus, we camp alot and it has enough power to run a coffee pot in the woods (BONUS) and I can charge it off my truck battery.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
Paul and Lou, I do plan on adding the 2nd battery, but it will prob be next year. Until then I will use this as insurance, so far I have used it multiple times while working on the boat in the driveway instead of lugging extension cords out, and I have to say this thing is a beast, used it on Sunday for 4 hours straight, powering a oil extractor pump, drill with wire wheel, the built in air pump to blow some stuff out of hard to reach corners, and had my cell phone charging on it. All in all, I used 25% of its charge.

Plus, we camp alot and it has enough power to run a coffee pot in the woods (BONUS) and I can charge it off my truck battery.

The extras, go with out saying with the pack!! I just would not (and that me!) go out with out the dual battery setup. We do over night trips and long day trips. I do have a 1800w inverter on board to run the microwave if needed. I try to keep everthing that I buy for the boat to run on 12V. The inverter will use about 10% more than what you are powering.

I am bad, but!! And a little nutty. I would use the boats shore power, plug it in and top off the batteries when in the driveway. Than plug anything I needed into the boat, 12v or 120V. The on board charger will float the batteries when fully charged.