www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:54 pm 
Shark

JeffLW wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:
I had a big Newport Vessels and sold it for a much smaller Baltik. For the money and our short season, the Baltik is hard to beat. Inflatable floor too, so the floor can stay in it when you deflate/roll up.

The Newport we found was much to large for our 268. We bought the Baltik over last off season, so we never tried it with the 268. I have davits for the 318 that I have yet to install on this new dinghy.

How small does you Baltik get when deflated? Could it be stored under the rear seat in the cockpit? Or possibly under the V-berth seats?

I'm thinking I really would like something that rolls up and can store out of the way. The wood floor is not going to do that.

Might want to consider the smallest Mercury inflatable, we used it on both our 248 and 298 with a little 3.3hp 2-stroke. It's only about 6ft long, works great. Both cases no davits or deflating required and with the motor on it I think it's not even 100 lbs total, I can pick it up no problem. Great for getting to shore and even exploring around a bit, as long as it's not to wavy out. Believe it or not, with me in it alone I can even get it to plane out!!

On our previous 248

On our current 298

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Bliss36 wrote:

This method has worked well for us. One rachet strap and she doesn't budge an inch and it stays out of the way.

I was just thinking yesterday about how you strapped yours to your bow. I may get the Baltik and try to tie it on the swim platform or deflate it and put it on the bow. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:10 pm 

Alan_G_298Vista wrote:

On our previous 248

This is what I was thinking of trying. Thanks for the pic! How did it ride at cruising speed when tied on like this?
That's a good looking 248 you had there. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 am 
Shark

JeffLW wrote:
Alan_G_298Vista wrote:

On our previous 248

This is what I was thinking of trying. Thanks for the pic! How did it ride at cruising speed when tied on like this?

I had no issues with the dinghy moving at any speed or conditions on my 248. You arent seeing two bungies from the dinghy side rope to the grab bar on the back of your 248 seat. I also had a bungie from the lower front ring to the rear seat brace. Being so light it never moved at all and I like the fact no davits or anything are needed. I could lift the dinghy up and secure it in 2 minutes on my 248, and it's even easier on the 298 as one strap over top of it holds it completely secure.

I miss my 248 sometimes as well, I just loved the blue classic color band, and also miss it when I'm getting fuel for my 298!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
This method has worked well for us. One rachet strap and she doesn't budge an inch and it stays out of the way.

When you were cruising, did you keep it in that spot? I just cant see where it is tied to the deck anywhere.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:50 pm 

hutch9900 wrote:

It is held by 1 green rachet strap which very hard to see. I attached the hooks to the base of the same bow rail uprights that the bumpers are mounted to. We've been thru some really sloppy conditions and it never moved an inch!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 pm 
Minnow

JeffLW wrote:
Alan_G_298Vista wrote:

On our previous 248

Alan,
How do you have your fenders tied off on the bow?
Also does it make it harder when coming into dock up when the boat is on the swim plate form?

2007 Sea Doo GTI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:19 pm 

It looks like the fenders are wedged between the boat and rail, and the fender lines are tied to the rail near the fender, I assume at the desired height.

An inflatable will limit visibility down low to some extent. An inflatable longer than the width of the boat, or extending out past the dock side of the boat may complicate docking, especially if docking "stern in".

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon