www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Box Anchor Storage
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

EvilZ wrote:
I'm thinking about trying a mushroom anchor for Mohave - Have you tried one up on Mead?

No I have only tried the box and before that the danforth.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:40 pm 
Nauti Luv

Somehow mine came unhooked from my quick disconnect when I used mine last and it is GONE to the bottom of the lake. If anybody has one they want to sell, please let me know before I pull the trigger on a new one.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:26 pm 

i am a firm believer in a DANFORTH design anchor with lots of chain

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:32 pm 
Nauti Luv

I use the Windlass on my boat, the box anchor is what I use as a stern anchor when needed.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm 

LVChris what about a Pulpit or a Fairlead

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:33 pm 

I bought a Fortress fluke (Danforth style) anchor for the rear. It has great holding power in sand and is lighter than a steel one 2 or 3 sizes smaller

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:35 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
LVChris what about a Pulpit or a Fairlead

I'm out of town right now have to look that up when I get home...never heard of them?

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:53 am 

fairlead also can be within a pulpit.

and this is a pulpit

http://www.seaveeboats.com/pics/bowPulpitWindless.jpg

just tossing ideas out their..

another note.. all of these sand anchors and box anchors and hocus pokus smoke in mirrors bullshit i tend to mainly see DANFORTH, Plow, Bruce wedge style anchors of all shapes makes and size boats that i am on and around.. i wonder why the Danforth is so common could it be that it freaking simply works and works very well..

The fortress is a great Danforth syle aluminum anchor. the down fall is you HAVE TO, must have a good stretch of chain on it to keep the shank down thus driving the Flukes down into the ground for a good hold. I am a firm believer in chain! my stern anchor is 100' of 1/2" rope on 15' of chain on a 2.5# danforth anchor.. and i will put the hold of this tiny anchor against most any stern anchors out their.. and the chain is what makes it hold.. as for my bow i have 3/4 200' with 23' of white powder coated chain and a 10# and you guessed it is a danforth. Another key element that so many people FAIL on when anchoring is the SCOPE.. you should have 7:1 rode out for the given depth for a proper hold.. MORE IS ALWAYS BETTER! I tend to believe that you should have the chain the length of the boat or greater for proper hold..

Now depending on your weather conditions you will need greater Rode out to compensate for the wave troth and also do not forget about the bow height in your depth calculations.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 am 

EvilZ wrote:
I'm thinking about trying a mushroom anchor for Mohave - Have you tried one up on Mead?

mushroom anchors are for holding 15' jon boats on the fishing hole not large heavy boats. IF you must have something i would go for this style mushroom this is what i use when we are duck hunting it holds well in wind for the jon boat.. but it will still drag is used in the river. but i would surest a smaller danforth with a decent cain as your stern for a solid hold.. the 2.5 with chain i use for my Four Winns stern is my main anchor for my 15' fishing boat.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:48 am 

LVChris contact Neutron he has what looks like in his Signature picture what you need.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:11 pm 

Jdpber wrote:

and this is a pulpit

another note.. all of these sand anchors and box anchors and hocus pokus smoke in mirrors bullshit i tend to mainly see DANFORTH, Plow, Bruce wedge style anchors of all shapes makes and size boats that i am on and around.. i wonder why the Danforth is so common could it be that it freaking simply works and works very well..

The fortress is a great Danforth syle aluminum anchor. the down fall is you HAVE TO, must have a good stretch of chain on it to keep the shank down thus driving the Flukes down into the ground for a good hold. I am a firm believer in chain! my stern anchor is 100' of 1/2" rope on 15' of chain on a 2.5# danforth anchor.. and i will put the hold of this tiny anchor against most any stern anchors out their.. and the chain is what makes it hold.. as for my bow i have 3/4 200' with 23' of white powder coated chain and a 10# and you guessed it is a danforth. Another key element that so many people FAIL on when anchoring is the SCOPE.. you should have 7:1 rode out for the given depth for a proper hold.. MORE IS ALWAYS BETTER! I tend to believe that you should have the chain the length of the boat or greater for proper hold..

Now depending on your weather conditions you will need greater Rode out to compensate for the wave troth and also do not forget about the bow height in your depth calculations.

Back from vacation and yes I get it now. Problem is those are made for fluke or plow anchors. The box would just spin around at the end of the pulpit. The box anchor came HIGHLY recommended for my lake (Lake Mead) large deep lake with very strong winds and mostly a mud/clay bottom. The main reason I stowed my danforth and bought a box is I have had problems in the past getting the anchor to hold my size boat in the wind even with 12 feet of heavy chain and a good amount of scope (7 times in 40 feet of water is tuff to have on my 238) .

The box holds well and is designed to come free from mud when pulled straight up, I have used it several times, works great just clumsy to deploy/retrieve.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:10 pm 
Shark

LVChris wrote:
Jdpber wrote:

and this is a pulpit

Back from vacation and yes I get it now. Problem is those are made for fluke or plow anchors. The box would just spin around at the end of the pulpit. The box anchor came HIGHLY recommended for my lake (Lake Mead) large deep lake with very strong winds and mostly a mud/clay bottom. The main reason I stowed my danforth and bought a box is I have had problems in the past getting the anchor to hold my size boat in the wind even with 12 feet of heavy chain and a good amount of scope (7 times in 40 feet of water is tuff to have on my 238) .

The box holds well and is designed to come free from mud when pulled straight up, I have used it several times, works great just clumsy to deploy/retrieve.

+1

(Lake Mead and Lake Mohave)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:13 pm 
Shark

EvilZ wrote:

A year late but....

Mushroom does not hold, not even the back end when the front is secured with a box anchor. I gave my mine to my brother for his 20' Ranger bass boat. Works well as he is much lighter and lower profile.