www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:07 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Chris..........as far as length goes........1/4" would be fine......longer would also be OK......

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:08 pm 
Shark

. There was a lot of info about type of metals to use, but unless i am wrong (please tell me if i am) the bimini pole base is stainless, but the pole itself is aluminum. so dont we already have two metals that would cause a galvanic reaction?

Thanks[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about mixing metals in this situation. If the parts were underwater in the sea it would be an issue. Also if the parts were inaccessible and could not be monitored for corrosion. When I had an aluminum boat I used a product called Duralac which comes in a small and expensive tube for putting stainless screws in to aluminum. Owners of aluminum boats should have a tube of Duralac on board but I do not consider it a necessity on a fibreglass boat.
Duralac seems to be mostly an Australia/UK product, Tef-gel appears to be similar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:41 am 

jfair wrote:
I wouldn't worry about mixing metals in this situation. If the parts were underwater in the sea it would be an issue. Also if the parts were inaccessible and could not be monitored for corrosion. When I had an aluminum boat I used a product called Duralac which comes in a small and expensive tube for putting stainless screws in to aluminum. Owners of aluminum boats should have a tube of Duralac on board but I do not consider it a necessity on a fibreglass boat.
Duralac seems to be mostly an Australia/UK product, Tef-gel appears to be similar.

+1 on Tef-Gel. I know the manufacturer here in West Palm Beach FL and it is an excellent product.
The same company also makes the best float switch that money can buy.
http://www.tefgel.com/

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:08 am 

Well I went ahead and did a temp fix since I was planning on going out (of course monsoon season here in the desert ended that plan rather quickly) When I say temp I mean I had no idea what size the rivet was to order stainless. So I had to drill out the old and find the right size in the aluminum ones I had.

It's 3/16 for future reference.

The hardest part was drilling out the old stainless one, it's very hard metal. But the whole project was really done in less than a few minutes.

I used the marinepartdepot lanyards http://store.marinepartdepot.com/cable.html for $1.98 (had to cut the metal plate off)

in the end it looks great and will probably last quite a while.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi