www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:06 pm 
Dolphin

We have a Waeco frig in our 2006 288 Vista that will not get cold on 12v DC but runs perfectly on 110 v shorepower. Our battery configuration is three batteries, one dual purpose battery dedicated to the port engine and one for the starboard engine, and I just replaced the ships system battery with a group 31 Marine/RV deep cycle battery. When on 12v power, the compressor will start and the shut off after 10 seconds or so and you can hear what sounds like a fan running. After a minute or so, the compressor will kick on, run for a short duration and then shut down. While in this cycling mode, the frig stays cool, but not cold and the items in the freezer defrost. It appeared it wasn't getting enough power, but when switching on the port and starboard engine batteries, the result is the same. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on? Thanks for your consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Check the voltage at the refrigerator when it's on 12V power. It shouldn't drop much between when it's on and when it's off. I'd say a volt would be the most it should drop. Any more, and you probably have issues with the wiring feeding the fridge. Four Winns is known to use non-waterproof molex connectors in the wiring systems, and they'll corrode and form a high resistance connection when that happens. Also, if there's a fuse for it, check the fuse connection and perhaps replace the fuse if there are issues. I ended up replacing the entire fuse panel in our 268, and discovered the fuses also needed to be replaced due to poor contact from old fuse blades.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:25 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks for the response. I have not pulled the frig but this will be next when I get back to the boat. As you suspect, it sounds to me as a loss of voltage.