www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:51 pm 
Sting Ray

I think I may be the only boater who hates the sun. Truth. I'll take a dark, overcast sky any day.

So now that we have been using our new boat for a month I'm seeing that it would be great to have a bimini top for some shade while sitting at the dock. I don't think I'd use it while driving.

My concern is I missed my chance to have all the hardware factory-installed. Is the hardware thru-bolted or just screwed in? Will a Four Winns top be as strong installed by the dealer as it would have been at the factory?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

you can use screws and 4200.. BUT this is not the BEST WAY.. thru bolt is the smartest and best way to do the job. and a bimini is not hard to add with 2 people. i did mine solo but i have also installed a dozen or so over the years so i knew the tricks..

ask away and we can answer. I have been very happy with my CARVER custom over sized bimini and my flush quick disconnect hull fittings.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:55 pm 
Shark

I agree with you.
Bimini is a must have.
Wish mine was bigger. It came with the boat.
When I need to replace, I am getting an oversized :-)

You'll find yourself running with it too, trust me

Just make sure you get quality hardware. A local shop may install pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:30 pm 

I put one on my '88 H-200 some years back. I have it up all the time, gotta keep the sun off your skin even with sun screen. I got a Taylor Made top from West Marine with an aluminum frame and while its not top quality, it has made boating in the heat much more bearable. If I had a new boat and wanted one I'd spring for stainless steel frame.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 pm 
Sting Ray

Thanks for the replies. I feel a little silly for not buying it upfront, but I didn't want to pay another $600 for something I wasn't sure I wanted. I'll price a Four Winns bimini with my dealer and maybe I'll do it in 2016. I know there are aftermarket options but I'm kind of a sucker for the real thing. :)

I will say, however, that I'm happy I didn't get the factory swim platform mat. We're doing just fine with the non-skid fiberglass and it won't deteriorate like the foam mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:30 pm 

Find out what the OE style one is in terms of materials:
Stainless vs aluminum frame, stainless is stronger but more expensive...
Sunbrella fabric vs cheaper ones, Sunbrella lasts longer and keeps its color better....

Having said that the aluminum frame I have is fine even after being used in salt water environment for a long time, and when the fabric needs to be replaced I'll just get my canvas guy to make me a new one....
One thing I did, that the factory does not do, is mount the top on slider mounts, so I can slide it back to get it out of the way for working on the engine (winterizing) or when I have a couple of guys fishing and the bows would be in the way....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao7q5x2adv5z0 ... p.JPG?dl=0

You can see the slider mounts on the coaming panel in this pic...
I mounted it this way because eventually I may have an enclosure made and having it on the inside like this makes that easier.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:40 pm 
Sting Ray

Following up: I spoke to Four Winns about fastening the bimini top and they said that thru-bolts are not necessary because there is reinforcing material already built in underneath -- at least on the newer models. (Mine is a 2015 H180 but I think this body design goes back to 2012.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:47 pm 

I'd check under to make sure. A bimini top is under a lot of force when you're driving when its up. If there is reinforcing material if its wood that will hold screws well. If its composite, those materials do not hold wood screws well and I'd use through bolting with washers to spread the load out a bit. Even if the bolts have to be small diameter because of the bimini mounts it will be much better than screws into some composite material.
When I did mine I attached the slider rails to the coaming panels which are 1/2" plywood so the wood screws held fine there. I have at least 4 screws on each side and its very solid. I get nervous when I see biminis attached to the side windshield frames on some boats. Not a good idea unless its a very stout frame.
When I replaced my VHF antenna the previous owner had 4 wood screw holding it into a lightly reinforced area. I was surprised it never came off! I made up a backing panel out of plywood and bedded it against the inner gunnel with 3M 4200. Through bolted.

2008 Walker Bay 8