www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

My first mount was a bimini mount. It never seemed to stay tight and it never stored well. I had to keep two wrenches with it just to get it secure every time. My new pole holder mount works flawlessly, it's very easy to get it level when beached.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:28 am 

I thought the bimini pole being in the way would bother me but it doesn't. It has a plastic spacer that goes around the bimini pole that it clamps to. This gives it grip and protects the pole. I only hand tighten it and it will not move. I've even left it up while cruising and it does ok. I just don't like the strain it puts on the bimini if we hit any chop, so I usually take it down. It is fine when going slow. I can also attach it to the grab rail behind the rear seat if I want but this puts it in the way of any swim platform use. I've seen people use this mount to attach to a bow rail as well.

I don't think there would be a difference in any of the mounting options when using them in a large swell. You just have to be careful your dogs don't roll off. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:59 am 

Sounds good that it give you several options of mounting position using that clamp

I will be sure to look after the dogs :-)

Thanks again

25th Anniversary edition
Volvo Penta Engine and Outdrive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:42 pm 

yes mine was easy to tighten to the bimini, but we beach when we cook and every time I had to loosen the nut at the bottom of the grill to level it for the current angle the boat was sitting. that adjustment is not made at the bimini clamp. Now if you only cook while on the water and the boat is always at the same angle...perhaps you've never seen this problem. The fishing pole mount swivels almost at any angle and gives me the ability to dial it in level with the horizon every time with one lever.

Cheers!

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:22 am 
Shark

Agreed, Chris. I always think i'm going to drop either the grill, or the spanners into the drink, lol.

Pole mount may be an idea....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:57 am 

LVChris wrote:
yes mine was easy to tighten to the bimini, but we beach when we cook and every time I had to loosen the nut at the bottom of the grill to level it for the current angle the boat was sitting. that adjustment is not made at the bimini clamp. Now if you only cook while on the water and the boat is always at the same angle...perhaps you've never seen this problem. The fishing pole mount swivels almost at any angle and gives me the ability to dial it in level with the horizon every time with one lever.

Cheers!

Yours didn't have an adjustment handle? Mine has a handle you pull out to release the pivot point. Same as the fishing pole mount.

I wanted the the rod holder mount but was unable to install a rod holder on the port side because the cooler location is there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:01 pm 

Cheers![/quote]

Yours didn't have an adjustment handle? Mine has a handle you pull out to release the pivot point. Same as the fishing pole mount.

I wanted the the rod holder mount but was unable to install a rod holder on the port side because the cooler location is there.[/quote]

No not at the grill, just the thin metal lever at the bimini mount, like this.

if yours was like this, then you would have no problem. But I didn't know that was made for a kettle grill.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA