www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Companionway Lock/Latch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The Latch for the companionway on my 1997 Vista 278 broke, and the companionway no longer locks as designed.

Of course, the part is discontinued and NLA with Four Winns, the manufacturer went out of business during the recession.

What the heck am I supposed to do now?! The way the companionway is set up, I cannot fathom a decent looking way to lock it with aftermarket items. My friend suggested having the parts recreated by somebody with a 3D printer, but who's got one of those?!

Im posting a picture of the latch that I need, and am open to suggestions PLEASE. Thanks :)

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:40 pm 

Technologic80 wrote:
The Latch for the companionway on my 1997 Vista 278 broke, and the companionway no longer locks as designed.

Of course, the part is discontinued and NLA with Four Winns, the manufacturer went out of business during the recession.

What the heck am I supposed to do now?! The way the companionway is set up, I cannot fathom a decent looking way to lock it with aftermarket items. My friend suggested having the parts recreated by somebody with a 3D printer, but who's got one of those?!

Im posting a picture of the latch that I need, and am open to suggestions PLEASE. Thanks :)

Google companionway locks and latches. When you see the price of them you will figure out how to fix what you have

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 pm 

Just an update...

I found a guy with a 3D printer that is recreating the latches for me! He even offered to make them out of aluminum so I wouldnt have to ever worry about them breaking again. :mrgreen:

I opted to have 4 made... and will be selling the other 2. Four Winns or its supplier does not offer the latch ("slam latch") anymore. They are completely obsolete.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:03 pm 

Another update....

The plastic printed re-makes I had made by the 3D printer guy all broke over the period of the 3 years I used them. Back to the drawing board!!

Every time I log into ebay, I always search certain things "four winns door" "Four winns latch" "Four winns ___________" and something told me last week to check again for the latches. SURE SH*TTING there was a BAG of THEM New Old Stock on Ebay!!!! Talk about obsolete NOS. Still in the Four Winns bag from the factory.

Now I have 4 brand new OEM NOS ones. I am going to baby those things, lol.

379 hours as of 8/8/21