www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:32 pm 
Shark

Its 10 years since I bought my last boat, it was used and came with just about everything.

We just boat a new H210 and was wondering a good place to pickup up Fenders, anchors, dock lines. As well I would appreciate any thoughts on the best type of each.

Thanks in advance.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9 Laramie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 pm 
wkearney99

Keep an eye out for west marine's sales on lines. 35% off now and then. I find it's much nicer to use better lines. They handle better, look nicer and wrap neater. Much easier on the hands too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:01 am 
230 Mike

+1 on the West Marine lines. I don't buy anything else from them, they are SO overpriced. But their lines - see http://tinyurl.com/28szd6 - are second to none. Their dock lines come in many lengths and diameters, and you can get the color that matches your boat. They have nicely spliced loops and whipped ends, and feel great. I recommend getting the maximum size dock line that will fit your cleats. I also had West custom make an anchor line for our shallow lakes with a pre-spliced stainless eye.

As to fenders, I learned the hard way that it's better to go a little too big than too small, but this is always a trade-off with available storage space and isn't as important if you never dock anywhere (obviously). I started out with a set of Taylors and was very disappointed in them. I switched to 8" Polyforms and couldn't be happier.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

+1 on the West Marine lines. I had several that frayed. They're the only one that seem to be holding up very well. Get a line that you think will be larger than you need. Just a bit more assurance for your self.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:41 am 
wkearney99

My wife was really happy with how much nicer the double-braided lines are to handle. I'd had a couple of three-strand nylon 35' lines for use on the bow when docking at restaurants. I happened to catch the double-braided ones on sale, and in our colors, at a West Marine last summer. I bit the bullet and picked up a pair of 35' and a single 50'. Any time the admiral (aka my wife) says she likes the improvement makes it worth the added expense. "If she's happy, then I'm happy."

I find several things have proven useful when it comes to lines. We're wet-slipped at a marina. I've found it useful to just keep a set of lines on the poles at the slip instead of trying to bring them along. Two stern lines, two bow lines and a spring line running from the stern to a pole on the finger pier. For these I got lines that are just the right length, this means there won't be excess slack or ends dangling. I use the lines with the eye at the stern (bitter end tied at the pier). For the bow I use the bitter end at the boat. This makes the bow a bit more adjustable to deal with tides and such. I put a stripe of electrical tape on the bow lines just where they lie over the side of the gunwale. This makes it easy to see exactly where to start tying the line when docking.

I then have a whole other set that gets brought with us. For the bow I've got two 35' lines. At the stern there are two 20' lines that get crossed. I have the 50' line for use as a spring line, or swapped out for the bow/stern as needed. I've also got a couple of 15' lines that are handy for rafting up.

You might not think having longer lines is necessary in a small boat. But consider a small boat in a big slip at a restaurant is going to need that length. You might not need all the lines to be long but you'd really want to have at least one that's 35'.

For a small boat it's fine to use 1/2" line. I'd never trust anything I paid for to anything smaller. For our 35' boat I use 5/8" line.

As a side note, the lines clean up nicely using a mesh laundry bag (camping section at REI) and a small bit of detergent. For really nasty lines I've soaked 'em in a clean trashcan with really warm water and a bit of soap for a couple of hours and then washed them in the machine. Using the mesh bag is KEY, otherwise you end up with an unholy Gordian mess of a knot. Use a couple of the small to medium sized bags and no more than two lines per bag. It keeps the untangling to a minimum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm 
230 Mike

wkearney99 wrote:
I've found it useful to just keep a set of lines on the poles at the slip instead of trying to bring them along.

+1. Even if you're slipping for a few days while on vacation, etc., it's very nice to get your lines all adjusted once and then not worry about them the rest of the time. But you'll still want to have a set in the boat, and at least one very long one should be considered.

I use 1/2" lines, but they barely fit the cleats.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:21 pm 

Doesnt the new boat come with all of that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:24 pm 
Shark

I wish it came with all the freebie, actually there were some ropes of the 50 cent quality.

Looks like there is a concensus on the ropes - from West Marine.

Polyform bumpers,

So what choices for anchors?

Any places better then others on price for Vests, anchors, fendors?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 pm 
wkearney99

Update your profile to include a location. That'll help folks give region-specific recommendations.

Anchors depend on where you're going to be boating. Rocks, sand, mud, grasses, etc, all benefit from different styles of anchor.

There are online stores like defender.com and boatfix.com that often have good pricing. But for larger/heavier items you get often get killed on shipping.

West Marine will generally price match, even from online. But you do have to ask and it will add some time to your shopping. For me it's often worth the trade off to have a local store that has what I need, when I need it (not 3-10 days later on a UPS truck).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:51 pm 
Shark

We are in SE Wisconsin, most lakes are sand and mixed with rock - thanks to the glaciers.

I have in-laws that live on a lake nearby, a shallow lake average about 10ft deep. Some stumps, but I think that are all marked.

We have a camper on the WI river in Stevens Point WI that we plan to use alot this year and that varies in depth with alot of sand,silt bottom.

One more item I wanted ask about was a spare prop. The default prop is 14.75x21 Aluminum. What would be the best choice for a spare prop, or should I upgrade prop and keep the default one as spare. I worry about using a SS prop in the shallower lake and river that we'll spend most of the time on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:42 am 
230 Mike

You'll get 100 different opinions on anchors, so here's mine. You'll hear people talking about their $300 polished stainless Fortresses and so on, and I'm sure that's a perfect choice for them. I started with an $80 Digger that weighs a ton and nearly had to be cut loose the first 3 times I used it because it would get hung up on rocks & stumps. Then another boater recommended the Chene anchor. They're cheap, ugly, and relatively light. But it's never snagged or been a problem to retrieve, and it's never failed to hold either in the mud & stump Kansas lakes or the rock & boulder Missouri lakes. I think I paid around $35 for the middle size. It fits in my anchor locker and if I ever do have to cut it loose I'll be more upset about cutting my custom rode than I will about losing the anchor. If you ever travel to deeper lakes, you'll appreciate an anchor that's relatively lightweight. After hauling that Digger up from 200'-deep Table Rock, I was ready for bed.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:56 am 
Shark

I see that west marine had some rectangular fenders that laid over the the hull. Wondering if anyone has used these. They kind of make sense as they wouldnt bounce around as much, but not sure if the offer as much cushion, or hold up as well.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... WESTMARINE)&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=455&subdeptNum=594&classNum=594

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:33 pm 

c5er - I use a danforth style off the bow and a mushroom off the back and haven't had problems.

Seems like we boat in the same areas, we frequent Nagawicka & Pewaukee and my inlaws are up by Point on Big Bass Lake (fairly shallow) and we'll go to DuBay.

What lake in the area is only 10' deep?

Best bet is to have an extra prop. There's a prop shop in Oconomowoc that will let you test out props, he's about 5 minutes from the public launch on Okauchee Lake. I can track down his name if your interested.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:40 pm 
Shark

Robbo3,

Blue spring in plalmyra is small < 200 acre springfed lake - beautifull lake just a little shallow. My wifes family gets together in the summer with all the kids, grand kids. Last year was the first year and we use the inlaws pontoon boat for skiing - just not quite as fun. Our new boat should make it alot more fun.

We have our camper on the WI river just South of plover, its about a 14 miles stetch between plover and Wis rapids. We would like to get up tp dubay as it looks pretty nice. Also plan on a visit to petenwell (sp?).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:41 pm 
Shark

Robbo3,

I would be interested in the prop guys name if its not too much trouble.