www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:40 pm 
Minnow

Hi all,

Seems like both my tensioner/hold down straps (hold the front of the bimini to the eye bracket on the windshield) have deteriorated. I'm not sure they are original parts as they seem to have been connected to the bimini metal support with a single screw, then a clip to the eye bracket. Is this correct? Any idea where I can get new ones from? I searched on the FW customer service site but doesn't seem to list the product in the brochure, searching online doesn't seem to return the right results either. Doesn't have to be OEM, but some recommendations of the best place to buy online and an example of how these SHOULD be fitted to a 2000 268 Vista would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am 
Livin' the Dream

If you have a radar arch, Great Lakes supplied the Bimini tops and other camper enclosure pieces for the factory....

I would look at overtones for an after market setup like this

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... ir&i=74989

Good luck
Chris

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:02 am 
email admin your custom rank

The strap configuration you describe sounds like the OEM parts. Great Lakes Boat Tops supplied the canvas and enclosure systems for the 268s with a radar arch. Four Winns made the systems for the 268s without an arch. You could contact Four Winns or Great Lakes Boat Top for the straps and other replacement parts you may need, or you could buy a generic strap from an after-market supplier like Overtons. The strap that Chris linked would probably work, but the hook end looks lighter duty than OEM, and could bend.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:52 am 
email admin your custom rank

Surface Interval wrote:
The strap that Chris linked would probably work, but the hook end looks lighter duty than OEM, and could bend.

I bought those straps and they did bend in a particularly strong wind. I'm on the hunt for the heavier duty hooks....

Something like these, perhaps:
http://www.iboats.com/Bts-48-Bimini-Hold-Down-Strap-Kit/dm/view_id.268466

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:52 pm 
Minnow

Thanks guys, I read some reviews of the Overtons products that said they were not too good in strong winds or at planing speeds. The winds here (Singapore) are normally pretty strong and given that we are on the equator it's not really an option to travel with the bimini stowed unless you're a fan of having a red head! I'll take another look at Great Lakes and see if I can find the correct parts.

Cheers :)