www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maintain Speed?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:44 am 
Dolphin

Hey guys (gals?)

I am having a hard time maintaining constant wakeboard speed behind our H190. When I am behind the boat, it is hard for the driver to keep it at constant speed (~20-25 mph). For some reason the boat want's to plane out and cruise at ~30-35 mph. Are there any adjustments that can be made. I am running a four bladed prop......would a three blade help? The motor is the 190 hp aspirated volvo penta. I wonder if the fuel injected engines are better at maintaining constant speed? Hmmmm...time to upgrade to a 200SS? :lol:

Earth First, We'll Mine the Other Planets Later

Post subject: Re: Maintain Speed?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:56 pm 
230 Mike

I think we have someone here who can answer this very well...

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

4 blade is gonna be your best bet since you can't get a 5 blade for a Volvo (at least not that I know of). I'd say you've got some work to do to get your current setup to work out very well. Are you trimming the drive up at all? I've found that trimming it much more than 1-2 marks on the gauge on my 220 creates this problem. It does much better the more trimmed down it is. Having said that, we're probably comparing apples to oranges in our setups.

If you're not interested in changing boats, PerfectPass might be a better option (approx. $1200 if you install it yourself).

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:30 am 

You can get a hub kit from Mercury (#835270Q2) to fit a high five or tempest plus on an SX shaft.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 pm 
Seahorse

I'm in the same boat, I/We like to ride around the 20mph range and that where the boat likes to get on plane, so it jumps up quick on speed, i suggest the 4 blade prop w/the ES300 Fin, it makes for a nice wake! My wife thought we put ballast in the boat, because the wake was that much larger. However the bow does rise more and driver must be real good, as in know when to go WOT at the start then back off when it starts to plane out and then give it a little gas to maintain 20-21mph and make adjustments. The one thing i don't like is to go up to 30mph and scream to slow down! I'd rather be going 16mph and yell speed up a little. at 16mph I can practice 180's going inside the wake to outside until it increases to go W2W.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:30 pm 

Norcalrider wrote:
I'm in the same boat, I/We like to ride around the 20mph range and that where the boat likes to get on plane, so it jumps up quick on speed, i suggest the 4 blade prop w/the ES300 Fin, it makes for a nice wake! My wife thought we put ballast in the boat, because the wake was that much larger. However the bow does rise more and driver must be real good, as in know when to go WOT at the start then back off when it starts to plane out and then give it a little gas to maintain 20-21mph and make adjustments. The one thing i don't like is to go up to 30mph and scream to slow down! I'd rather be going 16mph and yell speed up a little. at 16mph I can practice 180's going inside the wake to outside until it increases to go W2W.

Dont put the Hydrofoil SE 300 on your outdrive unless you are handy with the wrench and like to re-seal your lower unit. Those thing put so much upward stress on an outdrive that it is not made to handle. You may as well tie an anchor to your prop shaft, both will cause the same amount of damage.