www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extra Cleats ????
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 am 
email admin your custom rank

I am wanting to add some (4) extra cleats to help with better distribution of fenders for greater protection of our boat. (See bonehead moves thread) I am thinking of adding an extra cleat between the front and mid and the mid and rear cleats. I would like some kind of pop-up cleat but the standard ones seem to require some major hacking and will be an obvious add-on since they won't match the others.

I have found these units instead and they really are intriguing me but they are $70 US each which works out to over $100 CAD with shipping, exchange and taxes.

I keep 6 - 8" fenders on the boat so I would make two compatible with this system and the others would stay as they are know. What do you guys think?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

Post subject: Re: Extra Cleats ????
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:05 am 
Sierra

I have been making myself crazy trying to track down the low-impact, pop-up cleats I once saw a write-up of (I believe in Boating Magazine). If memory serves, they didn't require any major gouging of fiberglass at all but were sturdy enough for fenders. They were a nice, glossy stainless steel and looked like they would mesh well with our boats. I'll keep searching, but if anyone has saved Boating from the past year, I'm pretty sure they were in the gear section last spring or summer. They don't appear to have that section archived on their website.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:17 am 
Sierra

O.K. - I was inspired to search a bit more. Check out the slim-line cleats here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 am 
Narwhal

Have you tried to find the pop-up cleat that FW uses? What year and model is your boat?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 am 
email admin your custom rank

I really like the second style of cleat. It's not so much the cutting of the boat as it is the look that I am concerned about. Two diferent styles of cleats down the side of a 26' boat may be too much. The round ones just requirea 3/4" hole and we are good to go. I am not sure if they are bored through though so I may also have to connect a chunk of hose and make a drain to the bilge. When not in use they will look like a through hull fi[! Maybe I will send an email to the Winnisquam guys and see if they have them available since I have to go there in April to pick up the pontoon boat I bought anyways.

Jim_R wrote:
Have you tried to find the pop-up cleat that FW uses? What year and model is your boat?

I am not looking to replace my existing cleats eventhough popups would be a nice feature. I just find that some better protection is required when rafting up or going through the locks. I have learned (the hard way) that bimini poles are not supposed to be used for fender attachment points.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:05 pm 
Nauti Luv

I dont have a pic...but have you considered just adding more factory pup up cleats? The ones on my boat look well and serve their designed purpose.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4