www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:14 am 
email admin your custom rank

Now on it's 5th season's use, my boat's cockpit cover was showing some wear where it goes over the windscreen frame; basically the studs on the frame for the camper canvas were wearing through the cockpit cover due to continuous fretting. Last year I had tried small leather patches glued on underneath to stop the studs wearing through, partially succesful but they never stayed on very long despite trying a number of different adhesives.

This year, I have fitted press studs to the cover, so it clips to the studs on the windscreen frame; they seem to be lasting up very well.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:52 am 

I had this issue when I brought my 225 home last year. On my Sea Ray, its mooring cover had some extra material on the inside of the cover at the top of the windshield frame.

My 225's cover you can see where the camper canvas snaps on the windshield had started to wear through. I took it to my local canvas guy, and for not much at all he added some material to the inside. It stopped the wear immediately. He used a heavy duty material, the same stuff flatbed semi trailer tarps are made from.

Its the first thing I'm doing to the 268 when it gets here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:22 am 

My canvas guy did the same thing when we had the covers made for my old '88...a nice heavy material where it goes over the windshield frame...still holding up well after 6 seasons in the sun...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:26 am 

I agree, a thicker piece of material sewn in would do the job ( the factory already had sewn in reinforcement strips where the windscreen screen door is, why they didn't do it elsewhere is down to cost I suppose). For me it was easier to put in the studs; I can't risk leaving my boat for a few days without the cover whilst it is being modified, we get a lot of rain and wind here( I've been on vacation for a week; got out on the boat the first day, continual high winds and rain every day since!

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:28 pm 

Same here you never know what it's going to do...but finally we got sunny weather for the last 2 weeks....I usually do any canvas work in the winter because then I have a winter canvas cover that I use instead of the bow and cockpit covers...I had to make up a frame under the winter cover to keep it from caving in because of snow and ice...cheaper than shrinkwrap over the long haul though....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II