www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:33 pm 
Shark

First, can people post their FWs mooring cover pictures so I can see how far it covers down the sides of the boat?

What I am looking for is a cover to protect my boat from UV rays and keep my cockpit & forward cover from fading. I don't tow enough to worry about a tow cover since the boat stays at the marina/dealer except for the Spring and Fall ritual launch and bedding trips.

My criteria for a cover is that it covers a large area of the boat, including down the sides. I have a vision of a boat umbrella such that it would just shade the boat and use the cockpit canvas for keeping the water out.

Pictures, brands, or ideas welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:14 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Click on my sig for the pics. I have the FW mooring covers, which are more or less just for show IMO. The trailering cover gets the real milage and weathering on mine.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:42 pm 
Shark

Just realized after looking at covers but does the mooring cover work with the bimini attached?

Walt, I could not find the mooring cover in your photos. I see what looks like the trailering cover but it does not cover enough of the rail. I don't need it too be a super snug fit, I nead more coverage as I want to keep the top of the boat from getting sun damage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:17 am 
Villiage Idiot

The mooring cover just goes to the "snap" line, while the trailer cover only goes as low as the rub rail. Neither provides that much coverage to the sides.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 am 
email admin your custom rank

My trailering cover covers too much to be useable if you keep your boat slipped - I found that out last summer when I rented a slip for the summer and ended up with my cover having a bunch of growth where it dipped in the water ....plus pulling the cover over the swim step was a hassle.

Walt - your mooring cover looks great in the pictures (toward the end of the album, lake_dawg) - what don't you like about it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:35 am 
Shark

Is this the mooring cover or the trailering cover?

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj16 ... 3_0394.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:07 pm 
All Night Long

Both covers are very nice.

I think that's the mooring cover in the picture. The trailering cover has racheting straps at the back I think... It also covers more of the boat.

If you want a cover while it sits in your backyard or a slip -- get the mooring cover.

If you want a 1 peice cover for trailering -- get the trailering cover.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:14 pm 

Here's a pic of the one I've still got and would still be willing to sell:

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1629&hilit=mooring+cover

PM if you want to discuss what a "reasonable price" is.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:48 pm 

So, you already have the bow and cockpit canvas? Because, if you get a mooring cover and your keeping the boat outside you'll need support polls underneath and the Four Winns mooring cover doesn't come with support polls. The Four Winns trailering cover has an excellent anti-pooling support system along with the cover, but your right the trailering cover only comes down to just below the rub rail, sides are still exposed. It's a much nicer cover than the Four Winns mooring cover. I know because my dealer accidentally ordered the mooring cover with the boat. We immediately traded for the trailering cover. They are both light weight, but the mooring cover fits like a pillow case vs. the trailering cover which fits like spandex. I know it sounds like I'm trying to steer you towards the trailering cover, I'm really not. Just make sure you understand how your going to use the cover so your not disapointed in the end.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:41 pm 

What you really are looking for is some kind of a protective cover that won't be used for trailering????

Look at http://www.transhield-usa.com

I know these are marketed as shrinkwrap covers for winter storage but I am using one for my bowrider as a dust cover (bow and cockpit covers in place as support) and a second on my cruiser for winter storage. I have not shrank them and do not plan on it either... hopefully they will last longer. Check out their clearance covers. I bought a discontinued FW Sundowner 245 cover and am using it on the cruiser and I bought a Bryant 270 w/swimplatform for my bowrider. The cover are a nice thick shrink material (7 mil?) with a soft cloth backing and they are stitched to form a better fit. They also have sewed on attachment points. I am willing to bet that you could use a 225 sundowner cover or maybe crossreference another boat brand to match your length and width. Oh yeah the material goes all the way down past the chine too so your hull would be very well protected.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:11 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Lake Dawg- That's the trailer cover pictured. The anti-pooling works well, except in heavy snow. This spring I plan on getting a strap and some snaps to make something a little more "anti-pooling"- sturdy. I purchased that one through FW for about $900. It is very durable, and does very well when towing, even at highway speeds, due to the anti-blowout thingys they have. It has ratchet straps to make it very snug, and it is relatively easy for one person to install/remove with a little practice.

EvilZ- I do like the mooring covers for ease of access. If the boat is on the trailer, or even docked it is fairly easy to install/remove. However, much of my boating involves actually beaching the boat overnight, and that is where the poles, snaps, etc can be a pain without tracking mud all over. I wouldn't use them as a substitute for the trailer/storage cover because the fabric is much more porous, and the posts don't have anything that really prevents pooling.

I just uploaded some pics to my link with the mooring covers on, if that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:15 pm 
Shark

I called an area FWs dealer today to see if pet575's mooring cover would fit my boat. They looked up the part numbers for his year and mine and they don't match for the cover. Both our boats are 21'6" with 8'6" beam. The dealer said without test fitting the cover there is no easy way to tell if the cover would be too short, long, or just right.

Just figured I'd let you know in case someone is looking to buy a cover. They aren't cheap but this is one of those things that I want factory and not a ghetto set-up.

Also, if you tie to a dock there are no holes or slots for your cleats/ropes so be prepared to have a canvas shop make some alterations.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 pm 

lake_dawg wrote:
Also, if you tie to a dock there are no holes or slots for your cleats/ropes so be prepared to have a canvas shop make some alterations.

Ah yes - I forgot about that one. That was also a hassle last summer with my trailering cover...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:21 am 
Villiage Idiot

Really? My trailering cover has slots for the 4 main cleats (2 bow, 2 stern), but that's part of how it attaches to the boat. The mooring cover leaves all 6 accessible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:03 am 
Shark

Walt wrote:
Really? My trailering cover has slots for the 4 main cleats (2 bow, 2 stern), but that's part of how it attaches to the boat. The mooring cover leaves all 6 accessible.

Here's the image from the Four Winns sites. The only reason I know this is the dealer told me to be aware of this. You can either get it altered to have access holes made or your ropes have to be under the cover and you don't get a good fit.

Is your mooring cover different then the FWs photo? Maybe that would explain the different part numbers for the cover?