www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stern handrail
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:47 pm 
Starfish

I have a 2005 Vista 258. A couple years ago at the boat show, I saw one with a factory equipped rail on the swim platform. I believe it was removeable and my memory is that it had been somewhat shaky. Has anybody any experience with this accessory? The dealership situation in Seattle is not very good these days, they thought it was around $700 at the time but never returned my call. I want a sturdy handrail for exit and entry, as my wife is not that mobile. I'm not sure it needs to be removeable, yet I don't want to restrict the use of the swim platform if possible. Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Stern handrail
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You can get a handrail with those vacuum cups on it. Seasuckers. Here's a link: http://www.seasucker.com/ProductCart/pc ... 78#details

This would be easy to install, and from what I've read, they would be strong enough to use as a grab handle, no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:20 pm 
Starfish

Thanks for the reply, :) but I don't have any place for it, the stern is not hard, it's a fold down seat back. The Four Winns accessory I saw is a full height handrail on the rear edge of the swim platform. It supposedly can hold a barbecue, but I sure would like to learn more about it before committing to ordering it. I wish I could figure out how to post a photo, it would be obvious from a picture.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 pm 

What you are talking about isn't really a handrail, as far as I understand. It's an accessory bar, and I believe it's designed to be removable. It's designed for a grill, fishing poles, or to hold a tube (all requiring extra accessories). It may serve the purpose you are suggesting, but I'm not sure it's strong enough... I'll leave it to others who have it to share more. But, I don't think it's a popular accessory, due to cost. For my boat, it's about $800 plus the attachments. For that much, you could have something custom made for your purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:00 am 
Starfish

Yeah, that's my impressions of it. I've talked to the service department where I dry store; probably get their rail guy, who needs to repair my bowrail anyway (due to a loading accident, previous drystack manager), and look at a permanent fabrication. Thanks,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:55 pm 

Please let us know what you come up with! I priced the same rail from Four Winns just last week and got a price around $900 :shock: I have been searching aftermarket for something comparable but without any luck. I would think something could be fabricated for half that price!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:00 pm 
wkearney99

I believe the FW option is factory installed only. As they embed the backing plates and sockets during hull assembly.

I went with a removable pole mount for our grill. It looked nice when I first installed it but now two seasons later the base to damned thing has corroded something horrendous. Which reminds me that I have to see about ordering a new base. I've also seen some folks have a table base socket installed and use a regular table leg (Garelick brand) for it. I'd be likely to go that route the next time.

I prefer not having the grill permanently mounted to a fixed point. I like the idea that I can hurl the flaming thing overboard should something go terribly wrong, losing just the grill in the process, not a whole rail assembly. I was using a fishing pole holder mount and it really did work well. The clamp on the ball was VERY secure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:01 pm 
AGE < LOA

If you peruse the 338 thread you can see it in my pics. Also check out cougars new carpet thread - I have a pic of the stern rail removed so you can see the mounts. Bill's probably right it's likely a factory installed part because it's quite strong. I left it on and shrinkwrapped over it and it's supported the shrink and 85+ inches of snow we had over the winter. It's worth every bit of 900. EVERYBODY compliments it and it's super handy. The FW grill mount alone is like 150. I like that it keeps the grill out over the water. I might get the tray table attachment this year. I also may fab a fiberglass whip off the back since i'll be toting my new standup jetski behind the boat this summer. That way while I'm anchored, the ski won't want to drift back into the boat as the wind will move the ski way before it moves the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:40 pm 
wkearney99

The 378 presents a bit of an exception, as it has an 'added' swim platform. The underside of it is accessible. As to whether that makes it any easier to add the rail, I don't know. I do know that the integrated swim platforms (as part of the hull) do not have enough accessibility all the way back inside there to allow adding the necessary backing plate hardware. It's a reeeeeeeally tight space out at the edge of the platform on the 348. And that's with inboards, I recall the sterndrives didn't really allow much access up to that area at all.

If you stop and think about the tremendous amount of leverage force that rail would cause you'd understand why it really needs a VERY secure mounting socket and backing plate setup. One grown adult heaving against the rail would put a LOT of pressure against the sockets in the deck. That force has got to get dissipated and backing plates are pretty much the only way to do it. Having them molded into the 'glass avoids having unsightly fastener heads up on the deck. Or they're hidden in the layers, or under the foot scorching flexi-teek.

But with the right amount of money pretty much anything can be added to a boat. It would just require some holes and a lot of fiberglass patching. The labor for which starts adding up quick.

So, yeah, that $900 price does look to be the right amount for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:42 pm 
Starfish

I just had a crazy idea for my 258. The cavity inside the swim platform, what could I fill that with that might add some structural support? If it were solid I could run bolts through to the underside, they would show from below, but I can't see a problem with them as a surface mount-maybe some type of plate-on the underside.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 pm 
268 Vista

You could make a rail similar to that pictured on the 378, for alot less than $900. Not sure how you would do the removable part. Easy to mount to the swimplatform, just use backing plates on the underside. My thoughts.....

Get some tube bases to mount to the platform, just drill the bolt holes in the swim platform. The same fittings that are used for bow railing, or something similar
Image $6.00 each

Use 7/8 " or 1" SS tube cut to length for the vertical and horizontal . Basically straight pieces of bow railing.
You can buy it at West Marine. $52 for 6 foot lengths
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/2--rail-t ... -8x20.html

Use 90 degree elbows to join the horizontal and vertical SS tube. $11.00

Depending on the span between each end it may be a bit flimsey, in that case add a center tube to the rail
assembly with a T fitting. $13.00

I'm just thinking out loud, because I am no engineer or fabricator. But you should be able to get all the above parts for less that $150. I'm sure there is a flaw in my cheap ass thinking here. I'm listening.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:51 pm 
Starfish

Being commercial construction-retired-I probably overbuild. I was worried if I didn't fill the cavity, the through bolts might squish it. Maybe I should just not tighten them till my fingers bleed. At those prices I could set up a jig at home to try to bend the top piece to match the curvation of the stern, which might give it a little more lateral strength. I would do a total of four uprights, with a second rail to keep the dogs from falling in. This does not have to hold a lot of weight, it's for my wife to steady herself boarding. This might work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:39 pm 
wkearney99

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
You could make a rail similar to that pictured on the 378, for alot less than $900. I'm sure there is a flaw in my cheap ass thinking here. I'm listening.

The rail on the 378 is a LOT more sturdy than what you'd be able to create using those rail fittings. The rail is a VERY solid bit of welding. Don't know where you'd store the damned thing though.

As for adding something after the fact, you could certainly have a welding shop fabricate the same sort of rail. They could also engineer some backing plates suitable for embedding in the platform. A platform can be cut open and backing plates installed. A surface treatment like Flexiteek would serve to hide the work. Or have the non-skid redone.

I don't see how it would be safe to install one any other way.

As for hand-holds, have you seen the boarding handles meant to be used in fishing pole sockets?
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... ctId=38740
Perhaps something like that would give you a more versatile setup.

I would not bother trying to make rails to deal with dogs. Keep them in the cockpit or below, and wearing lifevests otherwise. If anything a net strung between rails would be a better solution. Sailboats have a screen/net they use for this sort of thing.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... tId=100276
Sailboats use clips to attach the lifelines to upright stanchions.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... tId=414046
You could make a removable net the same sort of way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:59 pm 
268 Vista

I asked for it, and got it.

Good Night all.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm 

Off-Piste wrote:
I have a 2005 Vista 258. A couple years ago at the boat show, I saw one with a factory equipped rail on the swim platform. I believe it was removeable and my memory is that it had been somewhat shaky. Has anybody any experience with this accessory? The dealership situation in Seattle is not very good these days, they thought it was around $700 at the time but never returned my call. I want a sturdy handrail for exit and entry, as my wife is not that mobile. I'm not sure it needs to be removeable, yet I don't want to restrict the use of the swim platform if possible. Thanks,

I think this might be the rail you are referring to. I mount my grill on it. I do remove my grill if we know we won't be using it but generally it stays on the rail. The rail is removable but we tend to leave ours on most of the time. It makes a handy grab rail when getting back on the boat and honestly I don't feel it is ever in the way. The rail and mount are very sturdy and definitely not shaky at all.