www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:55 pm 
Tadpole

Hello
I have a 2008 S215 Four Winns and it lists alot so I tought I would put on some hydraulic time tabs. I have been told to put them on the after pods and put them in by the drive (8" away min). What is the best location to install them????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:21 am 
email admin your custom rank

What kind are you buying? I have Instatrim tabs on my boat and just last week had to deal with them as I had to replace on of my cylinders that was leaking. They had great customer service unlike most people in the boating industry. Very helpful over the phone and the guy really knew what he was talking about.

Here is a pic of my tabs if it helps?

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 am 
Narwhal

While I don't have listing problems with my 200H, I wanted to add tabs for a bit more bow down control, and for the occasional uneven load (sometimes I just don't have the heart to shuffle passengers around). Unfortunately, I'm still looking for a solution because of the complexity of the shape of the stern.

Do you have the same issue with your S215?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:46 am 
Sting Ray

Don't put them on the pods, they won't be effective. Put them on the transom as far to the outside as you can(I know its not far). I have a set of SMART TABS I am putting on my sundowner and having the same problem with placement.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:32 pm 
Tadpole

Hello
First off what great site I am so glad I found it.

To answer all the replies, I am buying the Bennette M120 and I purchased the ATC (automatic trim control) for them. As I have seen on this site and others they can be mounted either on the pods or transom both areas have flat surfaces. Bennette recommends mounting them on the transom with 8" minimum distance from center line. There is enough room I just need to check that the drive will not hit them when turning. I think this is the place to mount them. I will have to relocate my rear tie downs. What has made me do some more investigation is the place where I purchase my boat told me to mount them on the pods.
I wanted to attach a picture but couldn't seem to get it to work. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 pm 

Here is how I installed the tabs on my boat -- they work fine
When raised they are the required distance up, and do not hit anything although they look like they
might in the picture. These are actually tabs I reused from another boat I owned.
My boat is a salt water boat, so not nearly as clean and shiney as the fresh water boats.
I installed these myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:58 pm 

I don't have a photo, but my 2004 245 Sundowner has factory fitted tabs ( Bennetts). They are roughly is the same position as Dale's. The actuators are ftted to the transom so they are as close as possible to the vertical sides of the pods. The pods don't appear as "deep" as on Dale's boat, so the rear upright faces of the tabs would foul on the bottom of the pods. The tabs are cut away there so they can be retracted to be in line with the V of the hull. The hinges are also modified so the sections under the pod are bent through 90 degrees and attached to the underside of the pods, as there is no transom there they could be attached to.

Incidentally, my starboard tab actuator is mounted lower than the port one, meaning the starboard tab is always slightly deployed. I don't know if this was an attempt to counter the tendency to list to the starboard/ drivers side, or a factory error!

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:40 pm 
Tadpole

Well thanks everyone for all the replies. Dale and Graham your pictures and notes helped alot. I can get my tabs on the transom 8" from center line which is good because my pods are only about 3/4" higer than the hull of the boat. But now I know that if need be some modifications could be made to the trim tabs to move them out under the pods (same as Graham's). I will let everyone know how I make out after I get them installed. I will also tell you how the ATC works. Maybe I will figure out how to attach a picture by then.

Cheers
Cyril