www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've been reading about storage of propane on the boat, and worried about it. If you don't know what I mean, propane is heavier than air. If you store it inside the boat, and it leaks (which small propane tanks are prone to do), it will collect in the bilge, and when the time isn't right... kaboom. I've done some searching and the only option I could find is a bag made by Magma that hangs on a rail. Those of you who have Funships know there aren't very many rails where you can hang something. Plus, I wasn't too hip on a bag full of propane flopping around on the side of the boat. So, I devised this option:

I used some PVC pieces that just fit over the bbq pole after a little drum sanding to remove the inner rib, and a slice down the side to allow them to expand a tiny bit. I glued them onto the bigger 4 inch pipe with plastic epoxy. It's hard as a rock.

It slides over the bbq pole like this
and the little 1 pound tanks fit inside just perfectly
Drilled some holes in the sides and bottom for air.

It's long enough to hold two 1 pound tanks inside.

Out here on the swim platform, if they do leak, it'll drift right out the bottom, and dissipate into the air.

And then, the Magma Catalina goes on top of the pole. Next time I'm out at the boat, I'll post a pic to show how it looks with the grill mounted. Other than my sloppiness with the glue, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. With room for two propane tanks, I have one to use, and one backup for the day it runs out while the burgers are just getting started. :P

Parts required:
One two foot section of 4 inch PVC pipe, $8
One 4 inch cap, $5
One lid, $3
One threaded "clean out" end, $8
Two 2 inch sleeves for joining 2 inch pvc, $3 each
Two tubes of plastic epoxy, $5 each
One small piece of rope to hold the lid, found in garage
One can plastic spray paint, $5

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:31 pm 

Nice solution. From the looks of it, you should have a patent for that thing.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:04 pm 

That's cool, but what do you do with the propane when you are not using the grill?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm 

PIPE BOMB!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:06 pm 

I store mine next to the fuel cell. Figured if that 160 gallons of fuel goes up those tanks are the least of my worries.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:16 am 

Excellent Job !
I can see a few others here building one too.

I have a 10 lb tank that I keep loos in the boat behind the driver's seat in a bucket.... Maybe not the safest but I feel it's sufficient.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 am 

tennja wrote:
That's cool, but what do you do with the propane when you are not using the grill?

I plan to just leave the post on deck with the propane attached. The grill I'll store onboard or take it home to clean it. Pics with it installed on the boat will come as soon as the weather warms up a bit here. Cold, wind and rain for the next week. yuck. :cry:

Txjole2 wrote:
I store mine next to the fuel cell. Figured if that 160 gallons of fuel goes up those tanks are the least of my worries.

Just keep in mind that propane is heavier than air. It's odorless, but they add a smell to it sometimes. You may have to put your head way down in the bilge to smell it. It'll go up when you hit the starter :shock: ... which is obviously when you are on the boat. So, the propane actually is your worry. When it goes up, the fuel cell will too, then you have two worries. I would not recommend storing them in the bilge next to your fuel tank. Do some google searching on "propane storage on boat", and you will see what I mean.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 pm 

Quote:
Just keep in mind that propane is heavier than air. It's odorless, but they add a smell to it sometimes. You may have to put your head way down in the bilge to smell it. It'll go up when you hit the starter ... which is obviously when you are on the boat. So, the propane actually is your worry. When it goes up, the fuel cell will too, then you have two worries. I would not recommend storing them in the bilge next to your fuel tank. Do some google searching on "propane storage on boat", and you will see what I mean.
I really keep the extra bottles at the dock in the dock locker. I carry the one I use, I can cook for 3 day on one. You must be running a McDonalds at sea to need all that fuel.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:07 am 
wkearney99

Now that's pretty darn clever. Nice idea.

I'd wonder about the added stress on the pole and the base threads. I have that mount and while it's good for holding the grill in place while cooking, I don't know that I'd trust it for keeping the grill on it while the boat was underway. The weight of the grill on the top of the pole acts as a pendulum. Even minor motion will get amplified through the length of the pole. Not a big deal when you're sitting still, but a few hours bouncing around in waves would be an entirely different thing. And that's just with the grill on the pole. Here you're talking about adding more weight around the pole. I'd wonder about the stress.

Anyway, I like the idea of using the PVC pipe. I've just been keeping mine in a bag either in the transom locker or under the helm seat. With the pipe I might be able to fashion a mount for them, probably in the transom locker.

It is NEVER, EVER, EVER a good idea to stow propane canisters by themselves in the engine compartment. NOT EVER. Convenience is not worth the risk. For larger boats that store propane they use a specially vented locker, usually with a fume sensor. The tank is hard mounted and the hoses are secured. This to prevent minor motion from causing cracks over time. It really does not take much gas vented in a small compartment to cause a TREMENDOUSLY LARGE EXPLOSION. Just do not take the risk.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:12 pm 

I agree with you. I don't keep the grill on the pole while moving. But, the grill won't fit in any lockers... only the head compartment. There's a small ledge in there, so I got a second pole, and cut it to about four inches long. Then, I installed another mount bracket in there. So, now I can mount the grill in the head area on a short pole so it doesn't bounce around. With the pole so short, the pendulum effect goes away.

With the way this is set up, it holds two tanks, and they drop to the bottom. They don't weigh that much, so I think it'll be okay. But, you make a good point. I'll keep an eye on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:50 am 

More pictures as promised.

Here is the completed mount on the swim platform with grill attached

And a maiden voyage with some shish kebabs!

To store the grill, I got a second pole, and cut it off to be short. Then, mounted in the head area.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:26 am 
Shark

Wow, that is fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:45 am 
Narwhal

Sounder wrote:
...the way this is set up, it holds two tanks, and they drop to the bottom...

I assume that you have something like rigid insulation between the two tanks to absorb any bumps along the way. Sure don't like the thought of a tank banging (even slightly) onto the top of another.

- Hope I'm not nit picking. Great solution, and very nice implementation!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:18 pm 

I haven't really thought much about this issue. I will say that they do come with plastic caps on top when you buy new ones. I guess I'm hoping that's good enough...

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:16 am 
Narwhal

Sounder wrote:
I haven't really thought much about this issue. I will say that they do come with plastic caps on top when you buy new ones. I guess I'm hoping that's good enough...

It'd be easy enough to increase cushioning between the two propane tanks with cardboard, foam rubber, bubble wrap, etc. Although I'd guess that a mishap wouldn't be catastrophic - probably just cause a leak or deform the valve such that it wouldn't get a good seal with your grill. And after all, those small propane tanks are disposable, right?