www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

King220 wrote:
I just installed this mirror on my boat, we're really happy with it.
I mounted the mirror vertically from the tower (above driver) - The mirror has quick release and a pivot in the middle that will let you easily push it out of the way when you don't need it. The mirror itself can swivel in all kinds of positions too which was nice for this type of mounting setup.

2 problems...
1) I see your boats tower is a lot farther back from the cap'n chair than mine.
2) The hot chick will not appear in your boat after installing the mirror.

It looks like a window or suction mounted mirror is your only option.

Hopefully you either left the pic of the girl on the mirror or she belongs to you. :mrgreen:

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:39 am 
Minnow

The mirror made by Samson.com might work for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 am 
Minnow

The mirror is from http://www.samsonsports.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:55 am 
Narwhal

That samsonsports mirror does look cool. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 am 
Narwhal

Ok, here's more detail on my 'alternate' mounting method for the CIPA universal 4x8 mirror.

In this pic originally posted by beyond the blue, note the phillips head screw where the clamp on style windsheild mount is attached.

I removed that. Then I removed the nut and bolt from the top of the windsheild brace bracket, bought a longer SS bolt (2") and ran the bolt through the mirror mount and windsheild brace bracket like so:

View from the front:

Apart from the trip to the hardware store for the longer bolt, a true 5 minute install. One last note, the bolt I used is too long. I have not swapped it out yet as it's really not in view enough to bug me (yet).

Last edited by Jim_R on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:58 am 

Thanks for the pics and explanation....that may be the way i have to go. I do like the look of that as well as the Sampson overhead tower mount mirror. Unfortunately the Sampson will not work in my case....while it is perfect for the reverse arch it will prevent the use of the bimini in my case. My top is not a tower mount top and extends underneath the tower.

Would look great, but it simply gets too darn hot out there to stay on the water with no top.

Looks like window support mount her i come.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:14 am 
Guppy

Jim_R wrote:
Ok, here's more detail on my 'alternate' mounting method for the CIPA universal 4x8 mirror.

In this pic originally posted by beyond the blue, note the phillips head screw where the clamp on style windsheild mount is attached.

I removed that. Then I removed the nut and bolt from the top of the windsheild brace bracket, bought a longer SS bolt (2") and ran the bolt through the mirror mount and windsheild brace bracket like so:

View from the front:

Apart from the trip to the hardware store for the longer bolt, a true 5 minute install. One last note, the bolt I used is too long. I have not swapped it out yet as it's really not in view enough to bug me (yet).

This looks good. I have a 180 and I'm pretty sure my window support is different, I don't believe there is a screw going thru the top and bottom brackets.(might be a all in one rotating ball).

Has anyone tried to attach a mirror on a 180 in this location? If so how did you do it? Or if not where else can I attach the same mirror as in the example below.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:31 pm 
Narwhal

Prelude93 - looks to me as if an L bracket attached on the windsheild side of the point where the support bracket connects would do it. Hard to say for certain as the pics at the FW site aren't clear on this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:57 am 
Guppy

Jim_R wrote:
Prelude93 - looks to me as if an L bracket attached on the windsheild side of the point where the support bracket connects would do it. Hard to say for certain as the pics at the FW site aren't clear on this.

Thanks for the suggestions, just received the mirror two days ago so I will take a look at it this weekend.

Quite the earthquake here in Ottawa, anyone else feel it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:35 am 
Guppy

Jim_R with the mirror mounted to the winshield support do you find there is any vibration when you are underway? I tried my mirror yesterday using the standard mount to the winshield edge and it vibrated quite a bit. Today I goign to try to mount it near the winshield support.

As I mentioned earlier, my suppot is different on the 180, where it is a rotating ball connected directly to the bracket that screws into the winshield, so there is no spot to use a longer bolt like yours.

I'm thinking along the lines of your suggestion but using part of the supplied bracket as the L.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:43 pm 
Clownfish

Jim_R,

I took your idea and mounted my mirror on my 205 Sundowner in that location. I must say it is a solid mount, no vibration, and it stays where I want out of the way. My only issue is that it is somewhat in the way of the top clip that holds the window closed. Not a huge deal since I like the mirror where it is now. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:06 pm 

Txjole2 wrote:
My boat came with a suction cup one that I stick to the walk-thru glass, that works great. I guess that is not standard anymore.

Mine did too, but it keeps falling off. Subscribed for ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:11 pm 

I had no idea how much I wanted a rear view mirror until I tried my suction cup one this summer for the first time. Now I don't want to be without one. The suction cup one I have won't stay on, a few good bumps and it falls on the floor. I like what you did Jim, but my windshield struts attach differently than yours do. I may have to use a mirror such as that and fab a clamp that attaches on the windshield strut, because it really is the best place if you don't have a wake tower. So I am still looking for ideas from anyone else without a wake tower has added an after market rear view mirror? I'm gonna do something before next summer. Don't make me go to the dealer and ask. :roll: