www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:50 am 
Clownfish

I use a danforth anchor one size bigger than recommended for my boat and line only- no chain. I have never had a problem but I am wanting to add 8' of chain to it for better piece of mind. I boat on a fairly calm inland lake and use at least 3:1 scope on a muddy bottom.

I recently visited the Admiral's sister in Tampa/St. Pete and we went out on the Intercoastal in their 23 1/2' bowrider. The girls wanted to stop at a sandy beach for sea shells so the Captain beaches the boat (which I would not do) and the surf began to push the aft toward the beach as well. I told him we need to anchor out to keep us straight and he begins looking around the boat confused and then says 'I think I have one around here somewhere.' Eventually he pulls this little dinky fluke anchor out of the transom storage locker and it has no line on it, let alone chain! After unknotting the line he had asked me to get off his back porch before we left (he said he planned to cut it up in sections- I didn't know it was his only anchor line!) I hook it up and had a hell of a time getting it set but it worked. I immediately schooled him on the proper setup for his boat and hope he takes care of it pronto before he finds himself in big trouble out there.