www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 am 
Guppy

Hi I have a 2002 200 Horizon and have noticed in the past year or so that I have some type of static electricity problem going on with my cockpit cover as I can feel the static buildup when the cover is on and I touch the underside of it. I don't get shocked or see sparks I can just feel the buildup and if my head is under it I can feel my hair start to standup. I have never gotten a shock from the carpet or the cover and the main issue is it seems to really attract the dirt and dust to the cover instead of repelling it away. I don't notice it on the bow cover at all. I recentely purchased a different type of material (hot shot breathable nylon) full mooring cover and over this past weekend I noticed that it seemed to have a static charge building up as well and did notice that the cover seemed dirtier looking in appearance on the outside of it. This new cover is the only cover on the boat it is supported by 2 poles one in the bow and the other at the rear cockpit, just like the stock bow and cockpit covers were. I live in Michigan my boat is kept in the water in a boat slip the majority of the summer long. I haven't had any circuit breakers or fuses go out and no other symptoms. So my main question is how do I get rid of this problem and keep the static away for good? What could be causing this static electricity issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 am 
email admin your custom rank

I would "guess" that thats a normal condition of either rubbing the cover over the boat or within
itself. I have 2 different boats and both cockpit covers induce static, albeit the larger cover
seems to have a greater static charge. I have never had any problem with my electrical system,
but am always very careful when dealing with the fuel system after direct contact with any
fabric cover.

1997 Horizon QXsold
2000 248 Vistasold
2002 Key West 2020WA sold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Location: Live Manchester England, Boat Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
Seen this stuff advertised. Personally I would be dubious about its claims but who knows!

http://www.omnistor.com/gb/products/omnicleaner.html

"If we improve with age I'm now excellent"

Ex 1998 238 Vista 5.0Gi SX DP
Lexus RX300