Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Wet Doggg wrote:
elmwood wrote:
Wet Doggg
Who did you get your platform from? Is that a Four Winns or another companies. It doesn't look like a swimplatform.com one.

Eric

Bought from Four Winns. It is the OEM version if ordered as an option when the boat was new. The swimplatform.com version does not even come close to this one.

Help ??, whis does the swimplatform.com version not even come close ? Thickness ranged from 3/8" to almost 1 1/4" thick, all stainless hardware, brackets and it cam with bolts that were probably overkill because of their size. 3/8" thick backing plates. Four Winns did not make platforms for my old boat ( 1994 ). The guy that helped me put mine on owns Barryseat.com in South Bend and he was impressed with the workmanship on it as well.

http://www.barryseat.com/photos.html

By mark_t_fourwinns at 2012-06-01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:29 pm 

elmwood wrote:
Mike (acguy) Did you have the same large gaps at the edges? The screws they sent with the platform are 1" long. It will work on the left side of the platform since they added extra wood but on the ladder locker there is only a single piece of wood. The screws would go through the gel coat. I'd have to switch to a 3/4" screw and when pre-drilling I'd add a stop collar to the bit so I would not go through the gel coat.

I'm wanting to take a dremel tool to the edges of the platform around the rub rail and grind it down to fit that areas shape. It would then allow the platform to close the gap along the back edge and sit up against the boat. I just don't know enough about fiberglass to know if I need to seal the edge after grinding. I don't know what to use if I have to do that. I know fiberglass can absorb water.

Eric

Sorry for the delay, The only gaps I had on mine were between the existing swim platform and the new one at the stern of the boat and and on the front right and left corners. The platform laid flat against the other one. Also same problem with the screws and did the same as you.

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:45 pm 

Mark T wrote:
Wet Doggg wrote:
elmwood wrote:
Wet Doggg
Who did you get your platform from? Is that a Four Winns or another companies. It doesn't look like a swimplatform.com one.

Eric

Bought from Four Winns. It is the OEM version if ordered as an option when the boat was new. The swimplatform.com version does not even come close to this one.

Help ??, whis does the swimplatform.com version not even come close ? Thickness ranged from 3/8" to almost 1 1/4" thick, all stainless hardware, brackets and it cam with bolts that were probably overkill because of their size. 3/8" thick backing plates. Four Winns did not make platforms for my old boat ( 1994 ). The guy that helped me put mine on owns Barryseat.com in South Bend and he was impressed with the workmanship on it as well.

http://www.barryseat.com/photos.html

By mark_t_fourwinns at 2012-06-01

I am not saying that the swimplatform.com platform is bad...it is really nice. I saw first hand one from them on my exact model boat and it was nice. I just like mine better. Yours looks great and I know you will enjoy it. I like the look of the thicker platform of the OEM as well as the ladder. The ladder is really where it sets it apart. I can't stand to have a ladder that hangs under the platform and with my little kids going up and down, the slopped on I have works awesome. Plus. I can deploy it in sections which is great at the sandbars we go to. Can't do that with ones that hang below. Since FW did not offer it as a factory option for your boat production year you made a great choice. My OEM platform was also A LOT cheaper than the swimplatform.com one...about $725 cheaper to be exact.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 pm 
Clownfish

Well finally heard from Four Winns. I have a direct email and number and not having to go into a central cue. The person I spoke with liked the photos to show the problem. He says that no this does not even look right. He will look into things if something was done whatever. After reading my email he said that it sounded like I understood that this would not be a perfect fit. I said yes I understood that after all they don't have my boat there to fit it to and also the years they offered this model production style a extended platform was not even offered.

Now it will be a sit and wait to see. Sorry to keep everyone hanging. Was working on the boat yesturday till the sun went down. Wasn't until this afternoon I heard from him.

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 pm 
Clownfish

Mark T,'
No I don't mean to sound as if something is wrong with swimplatform.com goods it is that it did not look like their platform. They use that s.s.ladder mounted under and no ladder locker. I contacted the company and asked if they would do one for my boat with a locker and was told no. I went with Four Winns because there would not be a step down and had a ladder locker.

Sorry if you misunderstood.

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 am 

I am a true newbie and a bit paranoid about making the right choices for the first boat. Was worried that there was something wrong with Swimplatforms I did not hear about. White one for our boat would have been $1,250 plus freight. I splurged and did the $300 color upgrade. Would have loved to have been able to do this for $725 less !!!! Thats 3 tanks of Marina gas for my boat.

Swim-platforms.com was cheaper than Swimplatforms.com, but once I decided that I wanted color, I felt that the Swimplatforms.com people could come closer to matching the color on my boat.

I will say the the angled rear of ours was probably a blessing last weekend as opposed to the straight lines of the Four Winns model. Had 8 adults, full coolers and full gas, so if the platform had been straight or any longer it would have dragged in the water as we were getting up on plane.

Thanks for alleviating my fears. This site is just wonderful for information.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:49 am 
Clownfish

Mark T,
Well I only wish I can say I wish I could have paid what you did even with your splurge. I had priced one out from swimplatforms.com and they were only about $150 or $200 cheaper than with Four Winns. As I said the selling point for me was the ladder locker and one that laid across the other platform eliminating the step down affect. My tally was just around $1750. Now you can see why I'm a bit upset with the fit. I don't expect a perfect fit since they didn't make a mold based off of my boat but it's hardly in the ballpark. The person at Four Winns is asking for more measurements so I have to run home at lunch and get them. Good thing I live close. I don't want to assume verbally what he might be thinking but I have an idea of where he might be going with this.

Eric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 am 

Mark T wrote:
I am a true newbie and a bit paranoid about making the right choices for the first boat. Was worried that there was something wrong with Swimplatforms I did not hear about. White one for our boat would have been $1,250 plus freight. I splurged and did the $300 color upgrade. Would have loved to have been able to do this for $725 less !!!! Thats 3 tanks of Marina gas for my boat.

Swim-platforms.com was cheaper than Swimplatforms.com, but once I decided that I wanted color, I felt that the Swimplatforms.com people could come closer to matching the color on my boat.

I will say the the angled rear of ours was probably a blessing last weekend as opposed to the straight lines of the Four Winns model. Had 8 adults, full coolers and full gas, so if the platform had been straight or any longer it would have dragged in the water as we were getting up on plane.

You went the best route for your year and model. It looks great and you will enjoy it for many years. I was only comparing the two platforms for my boat and went with what I liked. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 am 

Mark T wrote:

You went the best route for your year and model. It looks great and you will enjoy it for many years. I was only comparing the two platforms for my boat and went with what I liked. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 am 

Good price. I am getting mine for $950. Cheaper for me on Oz.

Anyone know much about this platform manufacturer?

http://www.swimplatformsuperstore.com/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 am 

Giffo wrote:

I like the fact they have a hidden ladder option and they also have a top mount option

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 pm 
Clownfish

People wanted to know what the out come is of this and I do feel I owe it to Four Winns to post this, after all they do know this posting is here. I know that because it is how I had them view the photos I took by pointing them to this posting.

Four Winns was very interested in finding out the problem. I was told that no the platform was not right, but now try and figure out what is wrong is another thing. They contacted me again asking for more measurements of specific areas. I provided them. Today they called me and told me that the platform I have is the correct one for the model and year but something went wrong and not quite sure what it was. It all came down to the area around the rub rail. That area was basically inset too close. I now had two options get another one with returning this or keep this one. I choose to keep this one and we came to an agreement which I am happy with. Now it will be up to me to fit it to the boat which they already know I feel more that capable to doing. I told them I'd send a picture of the finished product. I was also told that I could contact them direct in the future if I need to. I have an email address and a phone number direct to the gentleman I have been working with. If you (person from Four Winns) read this I want to thank you again for your help. I shall keep both but please don't ask for them as I will respect the company. If they want their employee’s numbers and email made public they will do so. (I'm retired military. This isn't a "secret" but not all things need to be discussed openly).

This incident was probably just a fluke since it does not seem that anyone else has had a problem in the past. I do not want anyone else to read this in the future and use it for a reason not to purchase a platform from the factory because they are good. I can finally start in the morning fitting to the boat and mounting it and then enjoy it.

Hey I've been building cabinets and furniture for 33 years and everyone here also makes things. You can't say that you never had a mistake and when you have employees and something that is not right gets out and you have to come along and figure out what happened that can be "fun" sometimes. More like... "Now how the heck did they do that?"

Eric

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 am 

That is great to hear. Glad you are happy and I knew Four Winns would step up and make it right. Keep us posted on your install.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:36 am 

and some after install pictures!. i would love to see a FW platform, because I am tossing up in the air what one I am going with

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:03 am 

neutron wrote:
Giffo wrote:

I like the fact they have a hidden ladder option and they also have a top mount option

Yep and their service so far is second to none. Considering I am on the other side of the planet, they are doing their best to service me.
I had a few option, and went for the top mount. So cheap compared to Aussie FW dealers. Rip you off here!

Still trying to get feedback from ANYONE on this website who may have had dealings (or know someone) who has dealt with them!??