www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:57 pm 
Tadpole

Hi, my new to me 2013 h200ss (old style 2013) seems to be taking on an abnormal amount of water throughout the day. The bilge was quite dirty when I bought the boat but figured it was just rain water as it was always left in the water with nothing but the snap on covers all season. Anyhow, in the fall when I bought it, cleaned out everything pretty well and it was bone dry when I launched this spring. The boat sits on a covered lift and I noticed after the first time I drove it and looked around under the hatch that there was water in the bilge. I put it up on the lift and drained it by pulling the plug. Today I had a couple of families over and we were out in the tube. I flipped on the bilge pump periodically and it would usually pump out for about 5-10 seconds after each rider (maybe 5-10 min ride) After the last tuber, I pumped the bilge, cruised home about 10 mins at approx 3000 rpm and next to no water came out when I got back to the cottage.

Sorry for the long post but I can't quite figure this out. Any suggestions? I thought I saw a small stream of water around one of the side exhausts but doesn't seem like that would allow much water in unless it opens up more under load and constant throttle use with tubers on.

Hindsight is always 100%, but based on the stains, it looks like at one point in time there was quite a bit of water in the bilge for a long time (18"+) I'm guessing battery died from the bilge pump and it took on lots of water over a few weeks sitting at the dock. The previous owners barely used it apparently.

Any suggestions/things to look for? I've got my marine mechanic coming out for a house call in the next couple of weeks to check it out but wouldn't mind knowing if there are any common things people have had issues with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:32 am 
email admin your custom rank

First thought would be the driveshaft bellows, especially if taking on water while in slip. The turning under power may explain the sudden rush of water while towing a tube. if that is the issue and its been ongoing, then ujoint and gimble bearing replacement would be good idea.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:14 am 
Tadpole

Thanks, you know that might be it come to think of it. I do remember when it was winterized the mechanic said there was lube oil where there shouldn't have been (drive was taken off to be repainted over the winter, it was used in shallow sandy water lots and looked like crap). When it was put back on he said he checked the bellows and he thought they were fine so he left them alone.

While trying to trouble shoot it, after pulling the plug one time, I left it sitting in the water a couple of times for an hour or so and then checked it and found it to be dry so it does seem to be more prone to take on water while under a load/torque. I had an uncle that had a boat that would do that and turned out to be a cracked hull but it was LOTS of water in his case.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:05 pm 

If you can see the inside of the transem, you can check for signs of staining where water may be running down. Tough to see back there on my model though. It may be an interior hose leak also, but either way I would make damn sure the bellow isn't leaking as that can lead to more expensive issues.

If you saw water trickling down the exhaust manifold, you want that stopped too. May seem like a minor stream, but it should not be happening either. It could be something loose or a gasket.

I have had kids and adults in/out of boat and towing tubers and boarders often.....when they dry off on the swim deck then i was getting NO water in the bilge. These boats have such high freeboard I don't get any spray coming in....as i said the only water i usually have in bilge is what i dump into ski locker from the ice chest. I did see a post where someone was regularly getting water coming in from the anchor locker overboard drain, but that too was minimal and would not happen while in a slip.....just some coming in when hitting a wave above the drain level.

Keep us posted and hope it is an easy/quick fix

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:44 am 
Tadpole

Thanks for all the info. I was at the lake with the kids yesterday so I took the boat off the lift and let it sit. Took on a significant amount of water in the 2-3 hours. Bilge ran for about 10-15 secs when I turned it on. I'll get it worked on in likely two weeks and will let you know.

These boats have an automatic bilge pump - how much water is allowed to be in the boat before the float is activated??

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:16 am 

The bilge pump/float are on a little pedestal at the bottom of the bilge. It takes about 3 or 4 inches of water to activate the float, but the bilge is like a bucket at the lowest point so it's not that much water to turn it on. If it runs and runs while boat unattended and battery goes down and you have a leak...they call that sinking. It is an issue you need to get resolved for sure.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi