www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:30 pm 
Minnow

ultprthead wrote:
For me, I couldn't get over the minivan mentality.

LOL. I've got a Four Winns 224, and we're getting a new boat because I can't get over the minivan mentality of it. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

Besides the boat show I have not been on the SL so I have no real world input about its performance. I am still torn about the SL's overall appearance. Sometimes I like its lines, especially the profile view, but looking at the SL's bow head-on, I think it is somewhat hideous. The new Chaparral Sunesta is a better looking boat than the SL to me.

I think the lines of the H series look good from any angle. To me the H looks like it's moving even when its docked.

Something you need to consider about the H240, because of the integrated swim platform and the seating that converts into a sun pad, the boat has less usable seating area and storage space than another boat of comparable size. Its almost a mid cockpit boat. For my family (two adults and our son) it's the perfect size, but you will notice on other 24' boats with a bolt on swim platform its relatively small. Although rated for 11 adults, I consider 7 persons max to be comfortable.

The sink vs. additional seating, we use our sink often and would not want to be with out it. It's very convenient to have especially when you prepare lunch and snacks onboard and in terms of usefulness, the sink on the H240 is large enough to be practical. The whole Corion consol with the trash bin and counter top is a great amenity. The sink option on the SL is somewhat of a fold out joke. The area's designated for the porta potty are too small on both boats. I removed our porta potty and use the area for dry storage. I have two ice chests that perfectly fit the foot print of the closet that hold our food and anything else we want to keep handy and secure.

La Habra, California

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:54 am 
Minnow

ultprthead wrote:
As an owner of a sl262,

Ultprthead: I have seen some concerns on other sites about how the SL series boats will perform in choppy water. What's been your experience? One of the things I don't like about my current FW 224 is that it does not handle chop well at all (although, it has only a 17 degree deadrise). Some are commenting that the hull on the SL series, although good for stability, makes it bad in choppy water.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 am 

golf101 wrote:
ultprthead wrote:
As an owner of a sl262,

Ultprthead: I have seen some concerns on other sites about how the SL series boats will perform in choppy water. What's been your experience? One of the things I don't like about my current FW 224 is that it does not handle chop well at all (although, it has only a 17 degree deadrise). Some are commenting that the hull on the SL series, although good for stability, makes it bad in choppy water.

golf...I do not own a SL but have had the opportunity to ride in one 10 or so times. Boat does really nice in a chop. Better than the same size Horizon (240H vs 242SL, 260H vs 262SL). The SL series hull is nothing like your Funship hull. You Funship hull is more classic deckboat and they are notoriously bad in a chop.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:12 pm 
Clownfish

I think it handles chop extremely well for its size. With a 20 degree deadrise and the added weight....I don't think my fillings got rattled once last year :mrgreen:

Seriously though....It is a night and day improvement over my 20' CL that has a reputation for handling rougher waters...

Just my .02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:20 pm 

I made the move from a 2005 H260 to a 2009 Sl262 last year. I feel I can make some good contributions to this discussion. I cannot, however, comment on the passenger seat as the SL262 has a passenger seat that swivels.
As for the sink, I used mine quite a bit on my H260 but to each his own. I did get the sink on my SL262 and although in a tight spot, it is usable and does not infiltrate the cockpit whatsoever. It is especially handy because I mounted my gas grill directly over it :D

I split time between the ocean and lakes and as others have stated you cannot beat the ride of the SL262. The naysayers of the design probably have not taken a ride in an SL series. Although it looks like a tri hull it certainly is not. In fact, the centerline of the boat is almost exactly the same as the horizon series so they cut the water just fine. I would say that the H260 vs the SL262 (ride quality) is like comparing an upscale american car to a mercedes. It is truly different and everyone that rides in my SL262 that used to ride in my 260 comments that they like it better. To add to the differences, the SL just feels luxurious in every way...from the vinyl to the carpet to the dashboard to the deep thud of the hull in rough water. It is a heavier boat and just better all around in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the H260 was awesome too, but I definitely feel I upgraded when my Sl262 was delivered (the 425 hp H.O. 8.1L Merc helped :D )
With one season under my belt with the SL262 I can honestly say I have no complaints. I am pleased in more ways than one...especially now that no one has to move for me to get a cold drink out of the cooler...cooler location is key!
If there are any other questions, feel free to ask. I love the Four Winns brand (I have owned both Four Winns and Regal boats) and think both the Horizon and SL series are great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:06 pm 
Minnow

slman: Very helpful. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:13 pm 

I would be very careful when you look at the smaller SL's. If I remember correctly the seating in the 222 and 242 protrudes into the cockpit and cuts down seriously on space. The only SL I would consider is the 262. Having space out on the water and sufficient/efficient storage is very important. The finishes are very luxurious on all the SL's (as stated above)

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 pm 
268 Vista

I'm not sure why copyrights on the SL models would be filed with the US copyright office well over a year after the boat is introduced. It seems to me the builder would want that copyright protection right from the get go. Anyway, FW just submitted the copyright for vessel hull design of the SL222 yesterday 1/14/10, the design was revealed to the public on 6/15/08.

For the exact description of what the SL hull design is , here is what is written on the D-VH form by the designer of the boat.
Quote:
Fiberglass Modified V-Hull with notched chine and deck. Specific shape including forward corners of hull and deck that extend outwardly that provides added interior space, improved roll stability,improved ride and aesthetic value per size. Inset chine that improves wake for wakeboarding

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm 
230 Mike

Perhaps one of many things that didn't get done with bankruptcy looming? It does seem odd.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic