www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:19 pm 
230 Mike

pet575 wrote:
CAUTION: This picture is not the EXACT thing of what my throttle assembly looks like. I'm using this picture ONLY to show everyone what the L piece is that we are discussing in these posts.

Paul, I get the feeling you're having an attorney review your posts ;).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

He is the best I can afford, which isn't saying much now that I have a boat payment. :lol:

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:53 pm 
230 Mike

:lol:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:53 am 

OK, update time. My apologies to all for not doing this sooner, but I just got some good pics when I winterized.

Up close of bilge. PerfectPass sensor on the right (port side of centerline), depth finder transducer on left (starboard side of centerline)

Shot of bilge from above engine. I'm a bad boy for not wiping the dirt out of my bilge. Part of spring cleanup!

PerfectPass motor and control cable attached to exhaust riser/manifold. You can see the wires that head to the module and run up to the dash. You can also see the control cable running toward the bow. It does a u-turn to the port side and heads straight to the throttle assembly.

Up-close shot of the control cable and throttle assembly after installation. The cable is on the right, and you can see the end of the u-turn as it straightens out and joins the throttle assembly. It swivels very freely and upon ignition, the motor self-tightens the cable to a more horizontal position. The black plastic piece is the only factory part in this assembly. The stainless U-bracket, aviation nut and bolt, and brass L bracket are all part of the PerfectPass mounting hardware package.

A closer picture of the throttle/cable assembly. A good illustration of the "L bracket" discussed in previous posts with Guitsboy.

Shot of the full dash with the new PerfectPass guage installed. A perfect fit and match.

Close up of the PerfectPass display, key power on with the system off. A nice feature is that you get the speedo and tach readout even with the system turned off. You only turn the system "On" when you are going to pull a boarder/skier. It even gives you the water temp if you hit the right sequence of buttons. The white face looks pretty decent next to the factory gauges, IMHO.

Let me know if you have any more questions or comments. I didn't get a pic of the underside of the sensor from the underside of the hull-every picture I tried to take was glared out by the white gelcoat and sun. I didn't crawl under and take a close-up. If anyone wants one of those, I'll have to get that one in a few weeks when I go pick her up from the dealer. Getting some very minor warranty work done right now.

Last edited by pet575 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:48 am 

Apparently the pictures aren't coming through so well. I'm a little confused as to what the problem could be. I've been unable to post them in the "photos" section here, so I tried to post them on my photobucket account and link from there. Didn't work. Anyone know what is going on? I'd much rather post them here than send everyone to photobucket and make them figure out which pics are which.

Little help?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:47 pm 
230 Mike

How are you trying to post them? I wonder if it has something to do with all this "temporary" server business.

If you do have to use photobucket, you can still insert each individual picture. Once uploaded to PB, just click in the contents of the "IMG Code" box for each picture (it automatically does an Edit|Copy when you click in those boxes), and then paste it over here where you want it to appear. That's still how I do all mine.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:43 am 

Yeah, that is what I did and for some reason it didn't work. I don't know what is going on, but I'll try to figure it out ASAP for you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:17 pm 

OK, I fixed it. Apparently my retardation is what was causing the problem. My apologies to any retarded folk out there. Don't mean to offend you by including myself in your group. Doing so makes that group looks bad, and I don't want to bring it down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:32 am 
230 Mike

Ah, so it was the nut behind the keyboard :lol: .

Most excellent photos! What's the PP transducer like on the bottom? Don't go to the trouble to take photos just for me, but is it a squirrel cage type thing, or what? Fragile? A maintenance item?

It's an extremely clean, better-than-factory looking installation. We aren't even into water sports (beyond tubing), and it looks like an attractive option to have.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:41 am 

Thanks for the complements. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I'll also get some pics of the cable routing/module mounting under the helm. I'm sorry I didn't take any of those.

The pickup has an impeller/paddlewheel type assembly on it. No squirrel cage. They don't want ANYTHING disturbing the water flow over that paddlewheel. So long as I don't hit any submerged logs or rocks, it should be OK. :shock: An occasional leaf may foul it, but that is pretty easily correctable. The unit comes with a replacement impeller wheel. It doesn't really stick out that far below the hull, so I don't see it being all that risky. The mounting setup allows you the ability to pull the paddlewheel sensor assembly out and insert a blank plug (provided with the kit) if you are in tough conditions and don't want to take a chance. Also a nice option for trailering if some gravel or other road debris hits the hull in transit.

I'll snap a few more shots when I go pick it up from the dealer (hopefully this weekend, possibly approaching winter storm permitting). It is no big deal at all, and I think the additional pictures would further benefit our members.

As for the need for this system, I don't recommend it unless you're regularly pulling either a wakeboarder who is into improving their riding and trying new tricks or a serious slalom skier who eventually wants to run a slalom course. A good wakeboarder is running at low speeds and pulling real hard on the boat. (A serious slalom skier is pulling hard too, but it is easier to control their speed because the boat is up on plane more and is moving faster.) Even with a big V-8, this affects the speed quite a bit. As an experienced driver, I can pull my brother on a wakeboard and keep the boat speed within 1-2 MPH for the most part. But, that change in speed happening very often can be very hard and very tiring on a wakeboarder-and also very frustrating. So, it is difficult to become/find a good driver for this type of activity. A bad driver can take the fun out of it pretty quickly.

The whole reason I got the system was to allow my wife to pull me on a wakeboard and only have to worry about driving in a relatively straight line while avoiding other boats. She's not a real experienced driver, so simplification is good and makes everyone have a more enjoyable time. I get to worry about whether the 360 or flip I'm trying is going to put me in the hospital, so that narrows my worries down to just that.

However, I don't see it being all that useful for either recreational skiers, tubers, or for using as "cruise control" when running at cruising speeds. If everything is working right, you should be able to cruise at the same general speed without having your hand on the throttle. It doesn't take many runs for someone to be decent at pulling a skier, either, when it comes to working the throttle a bit to maintain the same general speed. But, recreational skiers don't care about a 2 MPH change in speed from time to time, anyway.

In my mind, the Merc Speed Control option that manufacturers are offering now is a rip-off. FW wanted almost $4K for that option. PP is $1,100.00. The only real difference I could see between the two systems (not taking into account that the Merc option is installed when you pick up your boat) is that the display gauge for the Merc unit appeared to include water depth and temperature. It DID provide the ability to navigate to menus that would give you more technical info about your engine's operation, but I'm not smart enough to understand most of the info it would give me. It seemed excessive and wasteful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 pm 

Additional pics promised long ago:

Paddlewheel, side view

Good shot showing depth of paddlewheel assembly. The only part that actually sticks down out of the hull is the part from the little notch above the rubber o-ring to the edge of the paddlewheel shield (the top part as it is pictured).

Starboard helm hatch where PerfectPass module is mounted next to satellite radio unit

Close up of installation of PP module

Close up of PP and tach in operation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:29 pm 
230 Mike

Thanks for the pics! The paddle wheel isn't at all what I had envisioned. It's much more robust and well-engineered. Very nice. And the panel indicator is a nice addition to the helm!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:13 pm 
Minnow

I know this thread is quite old, but I am thinking about installing Perfect Pass into my 2008 H210 this summer. I talked to the guy at Perfect Pass and the install seems pretty easy. The question I have is about the color of the gauge at night. We do a lot of night cruises and all my current gauge bulbs have been converted over to red LED's. What color is this gauge at night? Does it have a bulb in the back that can be changed?

If not, then I may mount the perfect pass display elsewhere around the dash and leave the stock speedo in its place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 pm 

I don't know what the current models offer but mine is a backlight white-ish gray color. It is somewhat bright. No idea what the options are these days.

I haven't been on here in ages but if I were doing this install now I'd be doing it with the GPS (no paddlewheel) version.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 pm 
Shark

I installed the Perfect Pass Stargazer system last year. It had the same white/gray backlight display that was fairly bright at night. I don't have the boat anymore but I thought the display options had a brightness option - maybe a quick question for the Perfect Pass guys - they are pretty helpful. BTW - the install was super easy and the system worked flawlessly all season.