www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:17 pm 
All Night Long

In a previous boat I owned, the halon system was an option and installed. Thank god I never needed it....

With the proven powertrains and boats now a days... are people adding the engine well fire extinguisher option? Is it a must have option? I can see the value to having it for peace of mind... but has anyone heard if it is such a great feature that it may become coast guard required?

I would think that if they have saved lives and is a proven safety feature the USCG would require them...

Just looking for opinions... It's a couple hundred bucks that I don't mind spending, but I'd rather spend other places if it's really not that valuable/usable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:36 pm 
230 Mike

My opinion - I have it just because it didn't cost that much. But on a bowrider, I don't think it'll ever be a requirement and I'm not sure how worthwhile they really are. A heat and/or smoke alarm would seem like a more worthy thing to have.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:18 am 
Narwhal

Must have? - no. Worth a couple hundred?, for peace of mind - probably. If a fire were to happen, most definately. Ironically enough, the Coast Guard will not even count such a system towards the minimum count of extinguishers required on board unless there's an external indicator showing the system is charged. Considering that handheld extinguishers need only 'wear' the mounting bracket, and show a needle in the green, the CG requirements makes no sense to me. Flying missles, ok. Automatic Halon-like systems?, no good without fancy bells and whistles. :roll:

There's several reasons why I'm considering installing one. First, if an engine area fire were to occur on my boat there's no way to fight it without lifting the sundeck pad, and as a result feed the fire with more oxygen. Also due to tight confines, there's no guarantee that even if I did lift the lid, I'd be able to get a good angle on the base of the fire. These are both non-issues with Halon-like systems. Another benefit of Halon-like systems, unlike the hand held extinguishers is no clean up. After the fire's put out by the Halon-like system, if you can find and correct the source of the fire, you could be on your way once again, this is not necessarily so with the powder/foam types. Worthy of mention is the automatic nature of the Halon-like systems, in some cases the first indication of a fire may be the alarms indicating that he system has deployed and extinguished it - compare this to smoke, grabbing for the extinguisher, remembering to pull the tab, lifting the lid, etc., etc.

The cost and install does not look too bad. From what I'm seeing, it looks like about $200 and maybe a three hour job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:54 am 
Forty six and Two

Its easy enough to drill a small hole that leads to the engine compartment and if you ever ahve fire you can see it thru the hole and then shove the FE thru the hole and pull the trigger before you even open the cover. I keep two FE on board one one each side midship.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:20 am 
email admin your custom rank

I opted not to get it. Sure it was only a couple hundred bucks, but I decided to spend that on other things that I wanted on my boat. Was originally on there, but I subtracted it on my final lookover of the sales invoice, along with alloy wheels, a swim deck mat, and the powered engine hatch lift.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Last edited by pet575 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:51 am 
Narwhal

pet575 wrote:
I opted not to get it. Sure it was only a couple hundred bucks, but I decided to spend that on other things that I wanted on my boat. Was originally on there, but I subtracted it on my final lookover of the sales invoice, along with allow wheels, a swim deck mat, and the powered engine lift.

Funny, you opted not to get it, it wasn't even an option for the 200H, and I'm thinking of adding it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:38 pm 
Mental Floss

I installed a Fireport into the box of my 170 Freedom $10.99 at West marine

IMHO, you can't have enough safety. Personally, for the few $ they cost compared to much in boating, I rather have a automatic system snuff out the fire rather than me try to fight it.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"