www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:05 pm 
Tadpole

Hi there, first post on the forum, seems like a great source of info! I'm new to working with inboards so bare with me!

So i've acquired my grandfathers old boat, a 25th ani' 190 horizon (2000 model). The boats been lying for a quite a while so think its gonna take a bit of work to get back in water.

So tonight i connected a battery to it for first time, and a few strange things happened at the dash...

WITHOUT even having the key in the ignition, there is power going to the switches: horn, nav lights etc can be activated. Does this mean a faulty with the ignition switch?

On the dashboard the orange dials are illuminated, but nothing else seems to be functioning on dash.

The blower switch is permanently illuminated, no matter which way the switch is pressed.

Where am i best to start with solving these problems? Is it a case of checking all connections for corrosion next?

Also, is the only fusebox on the fw the one located under the dash? Or is there another located somewhere else, eg engine bay?

Any input appreciated, cheers!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:38 pm 
Shark

I'm thinking there should be a battery switch around the engine compartment that will control power to the whole boat like I have on mine. It sounds like that's turned on which will supply power to some accessories with or without the key in the ignition. For example, you should be able to turn the blower on without having the key in the ignition. The random problems you're having with each switch could be age/corrosion related.

Welcome to the forum! Have any pictures?

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:12 pm 
Tadpole

Yes that switch is on, i can understand why the blower etc would work without key in ignition, but the orange dials being illuminated on the dash without the key being in must mean somethings wrong there?

Yeah i thought corrosion could be the stem of many of the problems given the length of time its been lying uncovered, thinking i'm best just to go through every connection and clean/replace where neccessary?

I do have photos, but working out how to upload them on here is proving tricky! :?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

There is a post under "forum issues" addressing attaching pictures. Basically it involves linking a post here to another photo sharing site like Photobucket.

Electrical gremlins are a challenge in a boat because of grounding issues. Make sure you have a good ground. In fact, I even ran an extra ground wire to the fuse block under the dash on my old boat. You might even start by using a temporary jumper wire maybe with alligator clips for troubleshooting. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm 
Shark

Stevenjj wrote:
Yes that switch is on, i can understand why the blower etc would work without key in ignition, but the orange dials being illuminated on the dash without the key being in must mean somethings wrong there?

Those lights are also connected to a switch, usually the Navigation light switch. My switch is a 3-way, one position turns on all of the navigation lights and gauge lights, the other position turns on the anchor light only. The key shouldn't be needed for these switches to work. The key is only needed to start the boat and possibly turn the radio on, but then again, I've seen some boats with a radio switch. :?

Stevenjj wrote:
Yeah i thought corrosion could be the stem of many of the problems given the length of time its been lying uncovered, thinking i'm best just to go through every connection and clean/replace where neccessary?

I think it's in your best interest to go through everything. You'll want all of that working properly before you launch. Especially the blower and bilge pump.

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:25 pm 

the dash illumination is controlled by the navigation rocker switch. most likely it is corroded on the inside of the switch . can you flip switch from navigation to anchor lights or do they not change

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:47 pm 

The navigation light/anchor light switch is usually off in the center position. Verify that your switch is off before trying to fix something that is operating normally. If this switch is on the lights in the gages and switches will be on. The other switches ( lights, horn, blower, etc) will operate without the key being on.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:36 pm 
Tadpole

Quote:
Those lights are also connected to a switch, usually the Navigation light switch. My switch is a 3-way, one position turns on all of the navigation lights and gauge lights, the other position turns on the anchor light only. The key shouldn't be needed for these switches to work. The key is only needed to start the boat and possibly turn the radio on, but then again, I've seen some boats with a radio switch. :?

Okay doing some work tonight and it is connected to that 3 way switch. In the centre position(off?) my dash dials are illuminated, then when i rock the switch up to nav like you said, my nav lights go on, but the gauge lights go off? Something wired back to front there?:S

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:04 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Stevenjj wrote:
Okay doing some work tonight and it is connected to that 3 way switch. In the centre position(off?) my dash dials are illuminated, then when i rock the switch up to nav like you said, my nav lights go on, but the gauge lights go off? Something wired back to front there?:S

STOP

At this point, I would go through your grounds.... remove each connection, clean with baking soda or similar, and use no-ox if it's available. Start at the battery, do the engine block and even the alt connection to the frame and motor, and work your way to the boats elec panel. This issue sounds like a poor ground connection, which would cause all kinds of funny stuff to happen making troubleshooting very aggravating.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.