www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If everything goes as planned, I will picking up a new to me 2000 Four Winns Horizon 180 LS with a fuel-injected 5.0 Volvo Penta this week. Here is how I got to where I am now.

LOOKING AROUND

My Aprilia motorcycle is recently paid off so I was kicking around the idea about getting a first boat. Specifically, a bow rider around 20 feet. My budget was originally <$10,000. My in-laws have a 38 foot boat so we were just looking for something smaller where my wife and two young boys can spend the day on and maybe have room for a couple friends. I was also thinking a V8 is a must.

After spending hours on Craigslist, here are a few that looked nice that looked nice to me at first (no particular order of importance).

But an enthusiast friend went down the list and had this to say about them:

#1 - This one has a 350 with an Alpha Drive. I generally like Rinkers, and I wouldn't kick this one out of bed, but its not preferred.

#2 - This is the tail end of the OMC-era Chris Crafts. While they are attractive, I would be highly suspect of this thing. If it has a VOLVO SX/Cobra, then I would be okay with it, but the 5.0 is likely a FORD 5.0, not a GM. I'd pass on this, personally.

#3 - Four Winns was also owned by OMC up till about 1994, and this was also an OMC-tail-ender. The 5.8 Ford is the giveaway. I wouldn't kick this out of bed at all since its really nice looking in pics, and the 5.8 should be about 260 hp, which is proper for this size boat.

#4 - Nice boat, looks a little weather beaten and possibly sits in the water a lot based on the waterline.

ROUND TWO

What he made sense and I narrowed down my choices to boats with running with a V8 Volvo Penta. I also upped my price range a bit. So after even more time on Craigslist, I found two Four Winns that went to the top of the list.

Boat #1

The first one we looked at had really low hours (105) and a fuel-injected 5.0L Volvo. Had a bimini top, was always stored inside, better color combination in my opinion, clean hull, nice newer-style swim platform, trailer was in good condition with aluminum wheels, etc. The owner’s son posted it as a “4 wings” but I am thinking that was an auto-correction issue as he did seem to know a little bit about boats. However, there were some issues when I looked at it. A tip of one of the aluminum prop blades was cracked off. It looked like he had backed the boat and trailer into a wall with it. The interior was soft with no rips and strong seams but there were a few small holes that looked like they were sealed by some type of glue. When I asked if they had maintenance records, the son said dad was a master mechanic and did the work himself. I asked for specifics of when things were done and he really didn’t know. Other than being stored inside, the boat looked like it wasn’t loved.

Boat #2

This one was 1.5 hours away but worth the trip. It is 2 years older and had 40+ hours more on the clock but you wouldn’t know it by looking at it. This one is almost identical to the first boat we looked - same engine, interior layout, trailer, etc. The main differences were the older style but still full width swim platform, stainless prop (+ aluminum spare) and it is a LS which added an upgraded instrument panel, paddle wheel speedo sensor and a few other small things. The owner was very knowledgeable about the boat and about all required maintenance. Interior looked spotless. The kids were super excited about it. This is the one for us.

FINANCING

I wanted to finance the boat through USAA. However, they do not factor in the number of hours the boat has when determining value. So, their value they can loan on is about a quarter less than I am paying for it. With USAA, getting a $10,000+ loan allows you to finance longer AND at a lower interest rate then if you are below $10,000. With the lower value loan, I would get less time and a higher interest rate.

So, I submitted an application online for a local credit union.

After doing that, I figured out why the USAA value was so low. The woman didn’t tell me the types of things they were looking for when determining the value. Luckily, I checked out NADA myself and was able to mark enough features to increase the price. So, we are good to go on financing.

When I was on the phone, the credit union called and left a message but they were already closed when I tried to call them back tomorrow to apologize for wasting their time.

STORAGE

Also, called a few in & out indoor rack storage places on Lake St Clair. We don't want to spend half our day picking up our boat from storage, taking down the covers, waiting to launch, launch, waiting to load the trailer when finished, loading the trailer, driving it back to storage, covering the boat, etc. We just want to call ahead and have our boat waiting for us, ready to go.

The one we really want where my in-law's have a boat (Belle Maer Harbor) has a 50-name waiting list. Doubt we will get in this year.

Our second choice, Beacon Cove Marina, isn't as nice as Belle Maer but does have similar amenities. However, it is the most expensive at $2,050 (year around). They have a few openings.

Our third choice, Hideaway Harbor Marina, has the least number of amenities (no pool for example) but is right next to Beacon Cove. They have a couple openings and are by FAR the least expensive at ~$1,200.

Since we don't plan on hanging out at the marina as much as we would if we had a water slip, we will most likely go with the Hideaway and then wait for an opening at Belle Maer. In the mean time, we can always ride over to the in-laws and use their pool if that is really important.

WHAT'S NEXT?

I am waiting for the seller to email over a copy of the lien free title so I can finalize the loan. They will then overnight a check. We will drive out, do a sea trial and everything looks good, hand over the check and trailer her home.

TO BE CONTINUED...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 pm 

Welcome! Nice first post!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 pm 

firecadet613 wrote:
Welcome! Nice first post!

Thanks, hopefully it will be the first of many!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:37 am 
268 Vista

I believe the 2000 H180 has the VDO gauge cluster, which will fail, and there is no plug n' play replacement. Just something else to consider.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:19 am 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
I believe the 2000 H180 has the VDO gauge cluster, which will fail, and there is no plug n' play replacement. Just something else to consider.

I will keep a close eye on the cluster during the sea trial. If/when the cluster fails, I will cross that bridge when we get there. Thanks for the heads up.

Anything other model specific items I should look for during the sea trial?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:21 pm 

Ah, my first boat! Except mine was 3.0. Such a dog, would love to feel what that hull goes like with proper horsepower.

What to look for? Nothing. Pay a local volvo dealer $350 to have the boat and trailer inspected. They will drop the drive, inspect the gimble, all the electronics, do an engine compression test, etc. If you for some reason are afraid of having a mechanical inspection, do not buy it without having a compression test done at a minimum.

Things to consider with a 14 year old boat:
You will be replacing the exhaust manifolds very soon, gauges (vdo or standard) are at the end of their useful lifespan. Stereo? Rip it all out and replace. The lighting lenses will be all fogged up, replace with LED units.

Things to consider with a 2000 H180?
The wiring is garbage. Complete utter garbage. Go ahead buy some really nice wiring tools and supplies because you'll need em.

There's a link in my signature of all the things I've done to my H180 and improvements.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:14 am 

Thanks for all of the suggestions and info ric ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:57 pm 

What to look for....
Well since fiberglass/structural repairs on boats can be the most involved, and expensive repairs (like rust repairs on old vehicles)
I would look at that first. Go all around the boat, look for damage, cracks, suspicious looking areas on bottom of the hull, transom and hull sides. Look for damage on the strakes from loading on the trailer. At the transom, cracks that radiate out from the transom mount could suggest a rotted transom, or impact damage. Also look for damage against the rub rail, from bad docking skills. Inside, check the deck very very carefully for a flexy soft deck. Rot is more common on boats that used plywood for the coring material but you can have de-lamination on boats that have composite deck coring too. Walk around (bare feet if possible since you can feel flex better that way) and try to flex the deck up and down. Get down and look in the ski locker, look for rotted wood, peeling gelcoat, brown stains, all are signs of rot. Grab the helm seats and see if you can flex them, look at the deck see if it flexes when you do that. If they have pedestals, see if the mounting screws are stripped out, that is often where the rot starts and stripped screws, loose seat mounts often means rot. If you can look under the rear seat, for the same things. Open up the engine hatch and take a good look at the engine mount stringers. If see cracks on the top of them, that could be a rotted stringer starting to give way under the weight of the engine. Try to get a good look at the transom, around the inner transom plate. If you see cracks, water damaged plywood, dark stained wood, etc, that all means possible rot in the transom. If its all good there, go back to the transom and see if you can flex the drive up and down by hand. Look at the transom when you do this. There should be NO flex at all in the transom. There can be sometimes flex/loosness in the trim rams/steering pivots that you might feel, this should be very slight. If there is a transducer mounted on the transom and you see brown stains below it, that could be a water logged/rotted transom....

The rest is a mechanical inspection that a marine mechanic should do, its too much for me to type here but I'm sure others will chime in....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:07 pm 

Well, the sea trial went perfectly. Small lake but we got it up to 40+ mph. It would have gone faster with more room and/or less weight. Owner even changed the fluids for me last night. We went over everything with a fine-tooth-comb and the boat is in great condition. Runs like a top.

Thanks for the help guys ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:00 am 
Minnow

NICE! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:16 pm 

Wow what a great looking boat Congrats!! I like how the trailer rims match your truck rims...looks really nice :D

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:39 pm 

ssoper wrote:
NICE! :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Bliss36 wrote:
Wow what a great looking boat Congrats!! I like how the trailer rims match your truck rims...looks really nice :D

Thank you and you are right, they kind of do match :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:11 pm 

Welcome!!

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:28 pm 

They had Coast Guard inspections at the ramp this morning. Passed and got my sticker. Eventful free launch. Water was smooth (Lake St. Clair). Opened her up to 50+ mph with my brother and I plus a full tank of fuel. Beautiful day. Was out for a couple hours. Ran great. Super excited to do it some more. She is sleeping in her new home now - inside in/out rack storage at Hideaway Harbor Marina.

PS: I had 3 people ask me today what year it was and all 3 were surprised it is a 2000.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:29 pm 

My family is addicted. Already dreaming about bigger boats - bow riders in the 23-26 foot range with pump-out heads. However, it will likely be a couple years before we are truly financially ready to upgrade (my wife is a stay at home mom and will be going to back to work when our ~3 year old starts school).

Here is my dream boat, a 2012 Cobalt 242 with 8.1L 400hp Volvo DuoProp. Best part is my wife agrees that it would be an awesome boat:

Yesterday, for S&G, I looked at a 2004 Chaparral 230 SSi with 5.7L 320HP DP:

Lots of options:

Quote:
Loaded with features and options.
• Stainless steel dual prop
• Head
• Snap-out carpeting
• Snap-out wind screen
• Dual batteries
• Compass
• Digital depth gauge
• Stereo/CD with premium speakers
• Fish finder/Chart plotter/GPS
• VHF radio with DSC
• Pressurized water system
• Transom shower
• Swim board with barbeque mount
• Removable barbeque grill
• Custom tarp for high speed towing
• Removable bait tank and spare pump
• All necessary accessories included
• Heavy duty, galvanized trailer
• Surge brakes
• Spare tire
• New brake pads and rotors
• Many more features (skis, wake board, life jackets, etc.)

However, the tropical trees, California registration and galvanized trailer made me question if it was a salt water boat. And it was.

Quote:
The pictures were taken in California just before I brought it here to Michigan. The boat has been used in the ocean but has always been thoroughly flushed with fresh water and salt neutralizer. I have maintenance records and there are no problems with the boat. But it's ten years old so there are a few signs of use.

The seller, a 70 year old guy bought the boat new when he was living in the San Diego area and moved back to Michigan a few years ago. He had maintenance records but the manifolds and risers are original. Interior was in good shape overall with just a stain from a spare tire resting against the bow cushion. Only had the trailer cover too but I would absolutely need a snap-on bow/cockpit cover.

As my buddy told me, "You can maintain a saltwater boat but you're basically buying a northern car in Arizona. Why?" Makes complete sense. Also, we are not ready to buy the new boat now and having two boats at a time while selling our H180 would not be feasible. We would have to put money into the 230 right away including new manifolds/risers plus bow/cockpit covers. Plus, we would have to store two boats at a time

I will check back when we are truly ready to upgrade.

Our H180 has been great, the only issue is the power cut out after hitting a wave and I figured it out myself...one of the two wires going to the kill switch fell off. Easy fix.

I have added a GPS unit (handy for a large lake like St Clair) and 12v plug (cannot believe it did not come with one). I also replaced the prop. Went from a SS 14.25 x 23p to a SS 14 x 21p and love it. The issue with the 14.25 x 23p was it appeared to be over-propped with top speed coming at 4200-4400 RPM. The new prop has the same top speed but comes around 4800 RPM, right where it is supposed to be. The hole-shot is much improved as well. Plus it looks nice and shiny.

Meanwhile, here are a couple photos from this season:

Done for the day...

Our excited 6-year old, Bobby, waving to my in-laws on the boat (38' Carver) in the distance.

Bobby's first solo ride. He was content @ 2.5 mph when this pic was taken. Within an hour, he was going 15-20 mph!