www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 210 horizon alarm
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:24 pm 
Guppy

I have a 2007 210 horizon with the Volvo penta 5.0 gxi. Launched, was idling waiting for the wife to come down the hill put it in gear and the beep alarm started going off at the same rate as when you first turn the key. Alarm stopped as soon as I shut the motor off. All of my gauges read normal. Engine oil level is good. Lower unit oil is good.

At a loss right now without a Volvo dealer for a very long ways. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: 210 horizon alarm
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:37 am 
email admin your custom rank

I don't have alarms on my vintage boat, but usually they are for low oil pressure, overheat, or low fuel. Check your oil level or it could be a faulty temp sender.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:12 pm 

not sure on your newer boat what the system is monitoring but on my older boat i will get a signal at idle some times after its warmed up from the oil pressure gauge. like niagarachillin said most monitor the basic like alt, temp, fuel, and oil. my buddy has a newer boat and i think his also monitors the power steering fluid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the replies guys. Back at home now, going to call local boat mechanic today. The mechanic we took it to at the lake seemed adamant that if it was an over heat, the alarm would've been a constant tone, not intermittent. Still kind of grasping at straws.

Any other ideas out there?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:55 am 

Depth alarm?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 am 

Well, if the mechanic thinks its an overheat.....did he check the temps at various locations with an IR gun? Or did he just do the "I heard that before and that's an overheat!" kinda thing? Sending units can go bad, or just a "little" bad and cause these alarms to sound off. If you come to that prognosis, for the love of God, DO NOT pay some marina mechanic $85 an hour to install a gen-u-wine Volvo sending unit at a 1000% markup. Go to NAPA, pay a tenth of the part price, use some basic hand tools, and swap it out your self. We have access to schematics, shoot, we'll even show ya where to find them!

Even if your not mechanically inclined, I bet we can talk ya thru it easy peasy....

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 am 
Goldfish

The beeping alarm (every 2 seconds or so) is for low oil pressure. Obviously, it starts beeping when the ignition is in the "on" position but the engine hasn't yet started, and stops beeping when the engine starts and the oil pressure comes up. I can't say for sure about 2007, but in 2001, there are 2 oil pressure senders, one that sets off the alarm in the engine compartment when the pressure drops below 6-7psi, and one that runs the gauges. You say that you checked the gauges, and nothing was out of range - that would suggest that the OP sender for the OP alarm in the engine compartment is faulty.

If you're taking it to a mechanic anyway, have them diagnose your problem. However, if they can't reproduce the problem, I'd have them replace the OP sender that runs the engine compartment alarm. It's a pretty cheap part ($35?), and should be only 15-20 minutes of labor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 pm 
Guppy

Thanks again for the replies, everyone. Well, I stayed out of the mechanics shop and just started reading the manual for common issues. Common theme I kept coming across was the impeller. I hooked it up to the muffs and the hose to check water flow. At idle, water circulated normally. As soon as I put the engine under slight load the water flow stopped. That made me believe impeller . I checked and the impeller had about 3/4 of the fins ripped, but still intact. So I bought a new one, installed it and ran the engine on the muffs again. Under load, water circulated perfectly.

Hoping I got to the bottom of it. Thanks again everyone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:50 pm 

Hope that solved your problem - meanwhile filing this under the "If it happens to me file" as far as a possible quick diagnosis.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:42 pm 
Guppy

Yes sir. Says right in the manual I should carry an extra on one board. A 5/16 deep well socket and a Phillips screw driver to get the door off and I'll be set. Was very easy to change